• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many routinely wear their suit pants alone?

wicozani

Reaction score
Some of the nicest, best-fitting slacks that I own are those that come with my four suits. While I do have other nice slacks bought off the rack, my tailored suit slacks fit better, are more comfortable, and I wear them quite often without the jacket. How many others do this, and are there any thoughts about this? Part of the reason I do this is that the local environs here in western South Dakota are generally not conducive to wearing a full suit often.

I wear four suit slacks alone in particular: 1) cotton, lined, pleated, cuffed in a beautiful camel color from a RL Polo Blue suit; 2) chocolate brown hi-twist wool, pleated, lined, cuffed slacks from a Claiborne athletic cut suit; 3) navy blue hi-twist wool, pleated, lined, cuffed slacks from an Albert Nippon DB suit; and light gray windowpane, pleated, cuffed, lined slacks from a Hart Schaffner & Marx suit from Saks. I wear these last slacks the least because they have inside buttons for suspenders and they look the most obvious without their matching jacket. Nonetheless, they do get some wear.

I'm interested in hearing others' ideas about this topic. Thanks and a great weekend to all.

Regards,

Jeff

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can be done, and I do it sometimes. Always without a tie, though. I never wear a tie without a jacket. Most on this board would probably advise not to wear the slacks without the jacket because it will cause the pants to wear out faster, making the pairing jacket obsolete. But since you aren't wearing $1000 suits, I think that you have less a concern about wearing out your pants than some others on this board. IMO, the pants -- regardless of if they are suit pants -- are better off on you than in your closet if they look good.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear a tie with out the jacket...but I am wearing something on top of the tie.

I'll explain: sometimes (ok, most the time) it is too hot to use a jacket in the summer / spring time in Florida, so I will dawn a pair of trousers, a light shirt (almost see-though, you know the type), a tie and an ultra-light polo sweater, with all but the last button undone.

Jon.

wicozani

Reaction score
It can be done, and I do it sometimes.  Always without a tie, though.  I never wear a tie without a jacket.  [snip] But since you aren't wearing $1000 suits, I think that you have less a concern about wearing out your pants than some others on this board.  IMO, the pants -- regardless of if they are suit pants -- are better off on you than in your closet if they look good.
Thanks for your comment, and your's too, ImageWIS. If "WIS" is what I'm thinking of, I am also into timepieces bigtime.

Anyway, I am not too concerned about wearing out these particular pants, and I wholeheartedly agree that they are put to better use on me versus draped over a hanger. I occasionally do wear a tie without a jacket, but not often. A typical day would be when I'm only in the office and not scheduled to give a presentation or attend an important meeting. If I do wear a jacket to work I remove it anyway when sitting at my desk, so there's little difference to not bringing it in the first place, except that I would walk into and out of our building with it on.

Image, good idea about how to manage with a tie and no jacket. My wardrobe is undergoing a slow transformation as I've made a conscious effort to dress a little better, particularly with respect to the fit of my clothes. I've been culling out many, many articles of clothing in size large that I now realize were too big for me. Most mediums fit me well without being snug, and most of all without the billowed tent look. I wear a 42 jacket but have a 32 waist. I've been acquiring some dress shirts of better quality than I've often had (from Tyrwhitt and my first Jantzen), a batch of mercerized  cotton v-neck undershirts from BB, my first two pairs of Crockett & Jones shoes (via RL), and planning on a charcoal gray suit with flat-front pants from Isaia. It has been both fun and very educational.

Jeff

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wearing suit pant (without a jacket) right now.

I wear suit pants quite often, particularly from some of my older suits.

I've also purchased cheap suits on ebay and thrown away the jacket and just kept the pants.

Kai

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I am the image of a Watch Idiot Savant
biggrin.gif
. An AP SS/SS Royal Oak Chronograph with a blue dial graces my arm today. Might slip into a Rattrapante later in the day.
wink.gif
Regarding shirts, might I suggest I suggest Hilditch & Key? Much better quality than Tyrwhitt; on H&K shirts patterns are matched, they all have split-yokes, buttons are real shell, fabrics are the best RTW of all of the English shirting companies, and all are single-needle stitched. They are currently $95 each (compared to $195 for T&A RTW) minimum order of 3. Jon.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do it all the time, when it's too hot for a jacket.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I think it's fine, but I can't stand the tie-without-jacket look. It looks very unrefined, and cubicle-worker looking. It gets in the 100s down here, and if I'm wearing a jacket, I just basically say "too bad," because I'd rather be hot than look not-so-good.

General Koskov

Reaction score
When it gets too hot to wear a coat and tie, I say do what the navy would do. And what we do (though less and less, since the armed forces also experience a constant 'undressing,' or 'dressing-down&#39
wink.gif
is wear a tunic and matching trousers. Ours is white and has a standing collar, but you can substitute a 'safari' type shirt. The idea is to wear just an untucked shirt (i.e. a tunic) but with thicker-than-usual material so that the suit can still be considered 'dressed.' The trousers, of course, are also suitably unlined and cool. One note, don't pull a US navy and change from cotton duck tunics to Certified Navy Twill, which is none other than a polyester blend (or is it 100%?). I fail to see any reason for this other than lazy-arsed officers who refuse to iron their white tunic and trousers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads