• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many polos can a guy have?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've taken a liking to Ralph Lauren polos, which I used during bar review as my comfy shirts and pajamas. (The actual exam is spread over one month, and we ended up billeting ourselves in a hotel near the exam venue every Saturday night, before each Sunday whole-day exam.) I now always have one in my gym bag as a spare shirt.

I now realize I have over a dozen of these polos, and I guess I like the colors, especially the brighter pastel colors. Has anyone actually tried to have one of each color of their polos, or a similar piece of clothing?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
I've taken a liking to Ralph Lauren polos, which I used during bar review as my comfy shirts and pajamas. (The actual exam is spread over one month, and we ended up billeting ourselves in a hotel near the exam venue every Saturday night, before each Sunday whole-day exam.) I now always have one in my gym bag as a spare shirt.

I now realize I have over a dozen of these polos, and I guess I like the colors, especially the brighter pastel colors. Has anyone actually tried to have one of each color of their polos, or a similar piece of clothing?

If I were you, I would check out the Avon Celli polos at VCH. You will never want to wear another polo again.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think Cuffthis once posted a collection of some 40? 60? 80? 100+? cashmere RL Polo crewneck sweaters... A lot, anyway.

Mark_Y

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
If I were you, I would check out the Avon Celli polos at VCH. You will never want to wear another polo again.

Avon Celli are some of the finest knits in the world. But you'll pay for them.

Jeff Rose makes some of the best polos around for a pretty good price. He used to be the head designer at Bobby Jones.

I don't care for Ralph Loren because their collar looks like crap after a wash or two.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh. I should mention that RL polos are made in the Philippines, or a lot of them anyway. I haven't encountered that problem with the collars.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Oh. I should mention that RL polos are made in the Philippines, or a lot of them anyway. I haven't encountered that problem with the collars.

I much prefer Lacoste polo over RL. My Lacoste polos look pretty good even after many wash.

Pink22m

Reaction score
Last time I checked the polo website, there were close to seventy different colors for their custom fit polo shirt.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ralph lauren & lacoste, imo = good quality + overpriced + logo crazy

as somebody who used to rely on brands to get by, this forum (as well as aaac) taught me that it should not be necessarily so. i have passed on these logo'd polos and opted to wear pima cotton polos (w/o the logos)... brooks brothers makes fine pima polos, btw.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, RL polos are nice colors at below ten bucks. Made in the Philippines...
wink.gif

Pima cotton polos? Never knew they made them. Some pima cotton t-shirts are outsourced here, and I love those.

Antoine

Reaction score
I bought my first Lacoste polos 20 years ago, the quality was very good. Now I would say it's so so.

ATM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I dig this new one by Lacoste, but at 95 bucks it kinda hurts.

NMN5205_mp.jpg

To me, it looks like a fast-food restaurant employee uniform you would see in a sitcom. Just add orange pants and a silly hat.

alflauren

Reaction score
Yeah, those are vintage Burger King colors.

image007.jpg

Has anyone tried the Lacoste "Retro-fit" polos? Are they similar in fit to the Ralph Lauren fitted polos?

pejsek

Reaction score
For me, I'm afraid, even a single polo shirt is one too many. I just can't seem to shake the associations--frat boy, retro geek, business guy in down-time mode. When all these come together it's a sartorial black hole; no escaping. I say this with no disrespect to the polo wearing tribe. It's just something I can't do.

jgu

Reaction score
Love polos, espically RL custom fit polos. I have about 20, RL and Lacoste. One good about RL polos is that you can put them in the dryer. Lacoste polos shrink in length like a mofo even on low heat.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to wear my polos, but only shorts or slim-fit pants. Anything else makes me feel uneasy.

I know this guy who owned 60 assorted polos, rugby shirts and sportshirts from Ralph Lauren. He also wore white socks with sandals and dress shoes.

Did anyone ever tried to remove the lame croc/pony player tag?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads