• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 39 4.1%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 161 16.9%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 319 33.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 152 16.0%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 80 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

Votes: 53 5.6%
  • 51 - 60

Votes: 31 3.3%
  • 61 - 70

Votes: 24 2.5%
  • 71 - 80

Votes: 19 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

Votes: 9 0.9%
  • 100+

Votes: 57 6.0%

• Total voters

Thun242

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you think is wood are pieces of leather or leather board glued and stacked on top of each other, with the slight color variance creating the appearance of wood grain.

Sometimes I met with particle leather feet, but most of the time they're wood, I also hear that from their high frequency sound when I walk and I walked off the rubber. If I love the shoes then they're going to a shoe repairer, otherwise into the bin sadly.
But you're right on that point with my gait, actually my gait is straight, but I have flat-feet, that's why I walk off so fast every boots' heels. After several destroyed boots, I figured out that soft-rubber is the best for me for heels. I usually change the heels to soft rubber on those boots what I like and they're strong enough in body too.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm super stylish, but I never had more pair of shoes than 6. What the hell, I think 90% of the votes are lies.. Only lifelong collectors can have more than 40-50 pair of shoes, or people who never wear them. I buy new shoes in every month, but I kill shoes in 3 weeks no matter how $$$ they are, the longest amount of time was 2 months while I could wear them, but usually after 1,5 month they fall apart. Last time I destroyed a Prada ankle boots less than 3 weeks. Not to mention I have a couple of super high quality items here for sale, and have average 1-2 sale per a half year, if the votes would be accurate, I would sell all of my stuffs here less than one month, lol...
However I have 30+ blazers to wear, there is no place for more in my wardrobe, so I keep them around 30.
Time for a "how many sport coat/blazers do we own poll?

ixk

Reaction score
I'm super stylish, but I never had more pair of shoes than 6. What the hell, I think 90% of the votes are lies.. Only lifelong collectors can have more than 40-50 pair of shoes, or people who never wear them. I buy new shoes in every month, but I kill shoes in 3 weeks no matter how $$$ they are, the longest amount of time was 2 months while I could wear them, but usually after 1,5 month they fall apart. Last time I destroyed a Prada ankle boots less than 3 weeks. Not to mention I have a couple of super high quality items here for sale, and have average 1-2 sale per a half year, if the votes would be accurate, I would sell all of my stuffs here less than one month, lol...
However I have 30+ blazers to wear, there is no place for more in my wardrobe, so I keep them around 30.

Try buying actual shoes.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Final count: 518 + lots of sneakers. Here are some of them.
20191125_075246.jpg

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been limiting shoe purchases lately and purging less-than-optimal shoes over the last few years. I am now down to 22 leather shoes (including casual stuff), a couple hiking boots, and around 10 running shoes.
Initially, I voted for 31-40 but maybe I should reduce that to 21-30
Most of my friends think I am a shoe fanatic and own way more than any sane person should ever own.
I can’t imagine owning 100+ as I barely have room to keep the ones I have, or time to wear them all.
Ties, now that would be another interesting poll. I used to have over 100 back when I wore them every day, but am closer to 50 now.

xxxRacer

Reaction score
I think I'm at 55 pair of Shell Cords, a dozen or so non-Shell for when the weather is bad, then some classic vintage exotics (shark, alligator, crocodile, bison), and a few suede. I used to be an all Allen Edmds guy but now have a lot of Aldens and Carminas (the ones made in Spain not China), a few English made, and I think that's it.

TokenMao

Reaction score
I think you need to buy better shoes...

I don't think it's the quality of the shoes that's the problem... I've bought $50 glued JC Penney shoes before that have lasted me 2+ years, you would need some truly awful shoes to burn through them in a matter of weeks.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seems to me that around 15-20 is probably about right for the active non-obsessive adult male working in an office environment.

Gives you a decent array of
- dress shoes/boots
- casual options
- athletic/hobby footwear (running shoes, hiking boots, ski boots, bike shoes, whatever fits your fancy).
- snow, rain, and/or work boots.

If you actually get rid of shoes as they wear out or stop seeing wear (not cool anymore, don't like the fit so you never reach for them, etc.) and replace them with fresh options, you can avoid excess bloat in your collection.

Obviously if you are a sneakerhead or a shell-addict, the numbers can blow up easily, but at that point it is a collection, not a wardrobe. Nothing wrong with that, but you just no longer get to call yourself non-obsessed :hide:

And clearly people can get by with less...If you don't need dress shoes for work, don't have any hobbies that need footwear, and don't live somewhere with inclement weather, you might be able to have 3 pairs of shoes and still be able to match your desired outfits without looking slobby.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I said 21-30 but it might actually be 11-20 right now. I'm not at home and it depends on how you count. For welted shoes, I know I have: 1 Meermin, 2 AE, 2 Alden, 1 EG, 1 C&J, 1 RW, and uh...8 pairs of Carminas? Maybe I'm actually over 30 if you count up all my sneakers and sandals or whatever. Plus I've sold a lot of pairs of shoes.

It's certainly more than anybody needs but i don't feel like I have a ton of shoes that don't get worn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads