• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 39 4.1%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 161 16.9%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 319 33.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 152 16.0%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 80 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

Votes: 53 5.6%
  • 51 - 60

Votes: 31 3.3%
  • 61 - 70

Votes: 24 2.5%
  • 71 - 80

Votes: 19 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

Votes: 9 0.9%
  • 100+

Votes: 57 6.0%

• Total voters

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I voted 5 to 10 but didnt count sneakers, boat shoes, sandals etc..
I felt dress shoes is what was being polled.
Another differentiator would be that I work for myself (always have) so I only need dress shoes for special occasions, going out to nice restaurants etc..
I dont wear them day to day whereas many need to dress in suit and tie daily. If that was the case for me (never has been)
I shudder to think how many pairs I would own.
In regard to Allen Edmunds I have one pair and another on the way.

Allen EdmondsRenton Chukka Boot in Walnut.

mistahlee

Reaction score
leather only, excluding boat shoes and hiking boots

Crockett & Jones ten
Alden four
Barbour one
Bass one
Cheaney one
Edward Green one
Church's one
Coriani one
Gucci one
Shipton & Heneage one
Stubbs & Wooten one
Trickers one
Zegna one

I would have guessed more.

Querofounder

Reaction score
I have over 50.... loafers, dressy boots, rugged all-weather boots, oxfords, running shoes, tennis/sneakers (both casual and leather), oxfords and summer shoes including flip flops and others...of course I also have a shoe company so I have "retired any old, out of style, or just poor-fitting shoes in my closet. I don't want a shoe museum! My fave now is the Madison Glove, Bologna stitch, no break-in, super comfortable, as comfortable as a driver but a real shoe!!! http://querohms.com

I got tired of paying $3-700 for shoes that don't cost that much to make....so I helped start a new company, direct to consumer. I have Aldens that area 35 years old (first pair for work), Cole Haans from high school graduation (now the brand has gone way, way down) plus Edward Green, Lobb, etc. Not anymore...

Firefox

Reaction score
In terms of dress shoes (all AE), currently have 6 pairs. In terms of all footwear (e.g. sneakers, boots, athletic shoes, etc.), probably 15-20.

smartie-pants

Reaction score

fracanzano

Reaction score
Well, I'm comfy in my living room and don't feel like going up to my dressing room, so a general answer:

I have 50+ pairs of shoes, including 3 pairs of sneakers (Vans, SeaVees, Zoot runners) and two pairs of sandals.

Otherwise a wide variety, but by far the most are Tricker's, since I started with them, love the construction quality and fit and look with jeans, also their marron antique leather; I also have their reverso suede Roberts in bright red, electric blue, and lilac. Probably about 15 pairs.

I have 6 pairs of Doc Martens special editions (Liberty, Hieronymous Bosch boots, tie-died) for fun.

I have a beautiful pair of Boss Handmade double monk half-brogues that I don't believe are handmade. Green Dover in juniper. Two pairs of Vass penny loafers, MTO (went to Budapest to determine last and size). Several pairs of small maker custom made (e.g., my city-style Haferl shoes). Three pairs of Handmacher in scotch grain (navy half-brogue, red split-toe norwegian, green full brogue). Sargent wholecuts. Wolverine 1000-mile captoes in Chromexcel and engineer boots in that fantastic leather, too. Bally Suisse velour suede plain derby. Mantellassi loafers. Loake single monk (surprisingly good and comfortable and nice last). Two pairs of Dinkelacker Buda full broques, one in black shell, the other in a rich brown pull-up leather. One -- first and only! -- pair of split-toe, MTO hand-patinated Carmina boots that look very good, but are very uncomfortable; soon to be given away, never again.

Well, that's all I can think of, EXCEPT:

My best pair of shoes (better than Green, but that was a battle waged on a different Styleforum thread!) -- incredible construction, comfort, leather, and slightly brawny elegance -- are my black J.M. Weston Demi-Chasses. Awesome shoes.

Last edited:

fracanzano

Reaction score
PS: forgot my 25-year-old Alden shell plain captoe derby. Great pair of shoes, if in that somewhat frumpy American look. Still look great with a suit.

And speaking of frumpy: no, no Allen Edmonds at all. From all one hears, they're very good build quality for the money, but the looks just always turn me off. I look at them every once in a while, and just did again to check myself, and I just can't imagine buying shoes (lasts) that, to my eye, are so lacking in style.

KtSty

Reaction score
Wow I didn't anticipate the number of people on here who have spent what must be thousands of dollars on shoes but without branching into handwelted or bespoke pairs. Interesting.

pkincy

Reaction score
I likely have 50-60 pair left. 10 years ago when I was collecting I had a vision of keeping up with Aportnoy. Of course that was impossible. I did have Hawaii as part of my territory the last 10 years of my career and was able to visit Tom Park and Leather Soul every month. That certainly enlarged my collection. Now 5 years into retirement, I wear nothing but spikeless golf shoes or deck shoes. I suppose I should find somebody that wears UK 8.5E so that the shoes don't just wither away in the closet. I don't think I have worn a leather dress shoe but once in those 5 years.

fracanzano

Reaction score
50 pairs of handlasted, bespoke shoes = plus minus $150,000. I've spent a couple of tens of thousands, and do have a few handlasted pairs. But there's a big difference between that and 150k.

fracanzano

Reaction score
Too bad for your leather dress shoes, pkincy. They look great with jeans, even with shorts and no (or hidden, for the less hardened among us) socks. Also they're much better for your feet, especially as your age advances, that spikeless golf shoes and deck shoes. You'll walk longer and better in the real thing.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me try to save some of you guys some time and money. Start buying high-end shoes as soon as you can afford them. After 4 or 5 pairs of low end or mid range footwear. It is time to move up to better quality. If you stay around SF long enough, you will sell off or give away less quality shoes. Once you become knowledgeable about high end shoes, you can't go back to lesser quality shoes. If you are patience, you will come across many high end brands for less than $500.

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread to read through and poll results

At my high, around 2015-2016, I was about 36 pairs of shoes/boots consisting of mainly Alden and a few AE/Crockett Jones. I guess I loved the chase of rare shell makeups

Then interests switched to other parts of my wardrobe and I sold pairs to fund other things. Currently I am only at 7 pairs dress shoes/boots all Edward Green, and 5 higher end sneakers (Buttero, Common Project, GATs)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads