• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 37 4.0%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 158 17.0%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 313 33.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 147 15.8%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 79 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

Votes: 52 5.6%
  • 51 - 60

Votes: 28 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

Votes: 23 2.5%
  • 71 - 80

Votes: 19 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • 100+

Votes: 55 5.9%

• Total voters

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Wow...some of you guys don't mess around when it comes to shoes.

In terms of dress shoes, my collection is fairly modest compared to many on this forum:

3 Norwegian-welted Sutor Mantellassi
3 John Lobb
2 Edward Green
2 G&G
2 Carmina
2 Zegna couture
1 Vass
1 Enzo Bonafe (hand-welted)
1 Stefano Brianchini (the upper is leather the sole is micro-something)

My acquisitions have been largely influenced by reading SF for 7 years (before joining). Thanks guys.

I only wear two pair; one JL and one EZ couture. The rest, are unworn and are kept in what I call the "shoe museum". I can't bring myself to wear the other 15 pair and ruin their pristine condition. Weird..huh?

Based on my limited experience (compared to many of you at least) the best constructed of these shoes are the Norwegian-welted SMs, the EGs and the Vass (I tried regular goodyear SM and they didn't last that long and the black patina began wearing off after a year...never again). The EGs are double-soled and built like tanks, while still being stylish (888s) and comfortable. I had to actually handle EG before I could appreciate why so many on this forum prefer them.

The award for stylishness goes to G&G. Value-to-price probably goes to Carmina, although I bought most of these shoes for a healthy discount. Most underrated probably goes to EZ couture. They are nice shoes which can be found at steep discounts.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
I would like to acquire 5 or 6 more.

2 Norwegian-welted Paolo Scafora....maybe 3....wonderful looking shoes.
2 more G&G.....an Oakham (double monk) and a dark blue St. James II.
1 more Vass perhaps.
1 more JL if I can find the Jermyn III at a discount.

That would bring me to 23-24 in total. Do I really need more?

volcanotristate

Reaction score

In terms of dress shoes, my collection is fairly modest compared to many on this forum:

3 John Lobb
2 Edward Green
2 G&G
2 Carmina
2 Zegna couture
1 Vass

My acquisitions have been largely influenced by reading SF for 7 years (before joining). Thanks guys.

I only wear two pair; one JL and one EZ couture. The rest, are unworn and are kept in what I call the "shoe museum". I can't bring myself to wear the other 15 pair and ruin their pristine condition. Weird..huh?

Based on my limited experience (compared to many of you at least) the best constructed of these shoes are the Norwegian-welted SMs, the EGs and the Vass (I tried regular goodyear SM and they didn't last that long and the black patina began wearing off after a year...never again). The EGs are double-soled and built like tanks, while still being stylish (888s) and comfortable. I had to actually handle EG before I could appreciate why so many on this forum prefer them.

The award for stylishness goes to G&G. Value-to-price probably goes to Carmina, although I bought most of these shoes for a healthy discount. Most underrated probably goes to EZ couture. They are nice shoes which can be found at steep discounts.
I dig your handle

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Wow....so organized....you must be an accountant.

An Edward Green man.....its because of all you EG admirers on this forum that I bought two pair...I wouldn't mind a few more...great shoes...

pkincy

Reaction score
It has been a few years since I retired and haven't worn dress shoes since that day. So I am trying to keep track of what is languishing away unused in my closet.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
That's too bad. You may want to sell some of your shoes that are in better shape on the bay or other venues.
You could have some cash sitting in your closet.

I also feel that one day I will realize that I've been collecting high quality clothes for no reason...since they all end up unworn in a closet.

Ed13

Reaction score
I currently have over 70 pairs but 2 weeks ago I pulled over 20 pairs to get rid of. I am trying to cut it down to around 40 pairs and maybe lower. Saying that I just received a new pair of boots today and will be placing an order later this week.

MontyLo

Reaction score
I recently tried paring back and working with a limited subset of my shoes. I have about 50 pairs total, most of which are from various British and European makers. Tropes in my collection include chukka and button boots, cap toe oxfords, and mid brown loafers.
As an experiment in minimalism and given the cooler season, I’ve limited myself to three pairs of shoes for the last month ( not including sneakers I’ve worn with scrubs) all of which are among the more robustly constructed in my collection.

I’ve actually not needed anything other than these for any occasion in the last month. I’m sure if it were warmer I’d miss a pair of loafers.

from left to right:

JL Norway with lug sole

Vintage Florsheim kenmoor in cordovan with factory double sole and v cleat heel

Vass black f last whole cut on HAF soles with steel toe taps

Attachments

pkincy

Reaction score
That's too bad. You may want to sell some of your shoes that are in better shape on the bay or other venues.
You could have some cash sitting in your closet.

I also feel that one day I will realize that I've been collecting high quality clothes for no reason...since they all end up unworn in a closet.
I have been doing that slowly. However I have found the market for suits to be abysmal. Besides my 50 pair of shoes at retirement date I have about 30 suits, mostly Brioni and Kiton and a few Zegna and even soem Oxxford, but they bring such low prices I can't bear to off a $10,000 suit at $500. I likely will donate them to a local thrift shop someday. I have a couple of Brioni's that I only wore once as the color and fabric (sild) wasn't really acceptable in my business.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm perfectly in the average range of about 15-20 pairs. I haven't bothered to count.

Several pairs of boots, including chelseas; black and brown oxfords; suede mocs; brown and black loafers; brown derbys; and a pair of Converse.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

3 John Lobb
2 Edward Green
2 G&G
2 Carmina
2 Zegna couture
1 Vass

Why buy shoes that you will never wear? Shoes are not statues: they are meant to be worn. Moreover, by wearing only two pairs of shoes, you're subjecting those to excessive wear.

Wear your fancy shoes.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Why buy shoes that you will never wear? Shoes are not statues: they are meant to be worn. Moreover, by wearing only two pairs of shoes, you're subjecting those to excessive wear.

Wear your fancy shoes.
Agreed. There is obviously something wrong with me...o_O:puzzled:

emiratiAL

Reaction score
2 x Carmina
2 x TLB Mallorca
2 x Crockett & Jones
2 x John Lobb
2 x Tods
1 x Canali
1 x Berwick
1 x Sanders
1 x Morjas

I generally subscribe to the 80/20 rule in these matters. Even with my relatively modest collection there are a number of pairs unworn, or worn perhaps 2-3 times in total.

My John Lobb's do all the formal heavy lifting with my Tods picking up all the casual day-to-day outings.

Once I'm back in the UK full time I'll be heavily rotating my collection.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.