1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many pairs of cuflinks do you wear per week?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by creat3cp, May 13, 2006.

1. lameduck

lameduck Active Member

start with me, I got 3 pairs but usally I rotate 2 of my favourites. There other one only worn on wedding dinner.

u?

[​IMG]

About 15.

creat3cp, nice blog. How about posting less toggle-back cufflinks, and more double sided? [​IMG]

2. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Distinguished Member

Here is a sample of some of the pairs in my collection. As soon as I get some down time from the restaurant, I will take some more photos and post them. I want to showcase my pairs of snappers with unusual closures, many of which I have never seen other pairs like them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tom, I only have one-sided links; what's a couple of good sources for finding true cuff links at under, say, $200/pair? Anyplace other than Ebay?

To answer the question, I have one pair of Tiffany's and one pair of Pink that I rotate, usually wear cuffs twice a week.

3. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior Member

Tom, I only have one-sided links; what's a couple of good sources for finding true cuff links at under, say, $200/pair? Anyplace other than Ebay?

Ebay is a great source. Many c. 1920 double-sided and snappers can be found for $50 or so per pair. Also, check out antique shops and shows. Keep an eye out for button dealers. They often have cufflinks to sell at favorable prices.

4. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I gotta admit, browsing overstock.com I saw quite a few decent double-sided links, including faceted black crystal Swarovskis, all well, well under $200.

Tom, perhaps you can answer this: what do you call those cufflinks that go around the edge of the cuff? Are they stirrup cufflinks? Is there any other name for them?

Also, if anyone has an answer for this -- I recently acquired tortoiseshell cufflinks which appear to be connected by a wire that is simply far too long. It appears just to be a base metal wire connecting them, but I don't know whom I could go to to have it shortened (it's just a piece of wire with two loops at the end). Any suggestions? Just a normal jeweler? I think it is real tortoise (old, old tortoise) from doing the burn test (and nearly setting my own hair on fire). Sorry to any animal lovers out there.

Best,
    RJ

5. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Distinguished Member

what do you call those cufflinks that go around the edge of the cuff? Are they stirrup cufflinks? Is there any other name for them?

Some of my old Sulka catalogues from the 1940s/1950s refer to the links as simply "wrapping cufflinks".

Also, if anyone has an answer for this -- I recently acquired tortoiseshell cufflinks which appear to be connected by a wire that is simply far too long. It appears just to be a base metal wire connecting them, but I don't know whom I could go to to have it shortened (it's just a piece of wire with two loops at the end). Any suggestions? Just a normal jeweler? I think it is real tortoise (old, old tortoise) from doing the burn test (and nearly setting my own hair on fire). Sorry to any animal lovers out there.

Best,
    RJ

I've used a skilled jeweler to remove links from the connecting chain and to shorten wires or bars.

I hope you didn't burn the cat!

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

You could buy some mighty nice cufflinks on ebay for $200. I prefer the sub-$20 range, and have done pretty well, if I do say so.

We had a thread going pre-crash that listed promising auctions (similar to the shoe thread in Buying & Selling). Perhaps we should restart it.

7. Etienne

Etienne Distinguished Member

We had a thread going pre-crash that listed promising auctions (similar to the shoe thread in Buying & Selling). Perhaps we should restart it.
    Don't you dare, I am having enough of a hard time resisting thu urge to buy new links as it is [​IMG]

8. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Tom, perhaps you can answer this: what do you call those cufflinks that go around the edge of the cuff? Are they stirrup cufflinks? Is there any other name for them?
    Second looking for more info on these. I'd love to find a pair that's spindly, for lack of a better adjective. All the ones I've been able to find have been very chunky; I'd like to have just a thick wire or thin bar going around the cuff.

9. creat3cp

creat3cp Well-Known Member

hi tom,

may i ask for your permission to use the material with you posted in this forum for my up coming ebook?

andy have ask me to contact you. may i ?
    [​IMG]

10. creat3cp

About 15.

creat3cp, nice blog. How about posting less toggle-back cufflinks, and more double sided? [​IMG]

you wish is my command....sure! be sure to check it out today..

11. creat3cp

hi everyone, I have crazy idea.

Contact cufflinks manufacturers/wholesaler, get their leftover stocks or get enough order from combine forums and sell to interested people at cost price!?

how about this idea?

If the response is good, I will make the effort....while you enjoy low cost price of a pair of cufflinks?

Your input is needed.

seriously i am not into selling as you can tell from my blog. [​IMG]

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Don't you dare, I am having enough of a hard time resisting thu urge to buy new links as it is [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did you ever post a picture of your new collection? I'd love to see it.

13. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior Member

These are called wrap-arounds. If you want to dress like Liberace, wear them. If you want to look like a gentleman, avoid them at all costs. They are the sartorial equivelant of a 6 button lime green leisure suit (100% polyester, of course).

14. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Distinguished Member

These are called wrap-arounds. If you want to dress like Liberace, wear them. If you want to look like a gentleman, avoid them at all costs. They are the sartorial equivelant of a 6 button lime green leisure suit (100% polyester, of course).

I almost only wear French cuffs. I like mainly the linked cufflinks, though sometimes I will wear a t-bar. The standard cufflinks for day should be noticeable in a rich, alluring manner or in a tongue-in-cheek manner without being obstreperous. When someone wears a pair of cufflinks they need to explain or use as a punch line all day long, they are doing it wrong. When, instead, someone else notices their uniqueness and you can serve up a clever quip or pun, it is being done properly.

Old Skool:

http://www.familycrest-engraving.co....ffs1_large.jpg

For hipper dressing, like a black shirt under a medium grey mohair suit for evenings, i like a more modern approach like these Titanium links.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...itanium&page=1

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

I have about 40 or so pair, but I have shifted into wearing only one pair - an antique sterling set of 4 spheres, linked (each cufflink is two spheres). I like the simplicity of the set. need to decide what I am doing with the others, although none have any real value. I will probrably just save them for my son.