1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many of you wash your own dress shirts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scnupe7, Apr 27, 2005.

1. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I am considering washing my own dress shirts rather than sending them to the cleaners. Does anyone else do this? Is there special method I should use when doing this?

Thanks

2. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

3. jj4

jj4 Well-Known Member

4. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

I do as I don't feel obliged to pay someone to fuck up my shirts -- as I would be unless I sent them to Parkway. I cold-water wash them on Delicate and hang dry, unless the shirt is oversized, in which case I toss it in the dryer. I pretreat collars and cuffs.

TTTT, it's a bit of a pain. Still, they're not scorched, or shrunken, or yellowing.

5. guitone

guitone Well-Known Member

I was about to start bringing them in to the cleaners again as it was such a pain as I let them go and had a pile of 30+ to do....I got them done as I was home from work for a month on STD, but now I am thinking maybe I need to just do a wash of 5 or 6 and iron them...why not machine dry and then iron? Also, why not use just cold water? I find that since I really don't get my shirts dirty, so far anyway cold water has been fine, but tell me if there are good reasons to change my approach, and I am not about to start scrubbing these before I wash......

6. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I at least do the washing on my own. As most RTW shirts have sleeves that are only barely long enough for me (wide shoulders, not long arms) I can't risk my dry cleaner shrinking them at all, as they always have in the past. Unfortunately, I'm not the best with the iron and sometimes I end up taking my shirts to the cleaner to be pressed.
    It is my experience that the Kabbaz technique, though brilliant, is often a little more work than most people (that I know at least) are willing to put up with. I find that unless I have ring around the collar and/or cuffs or stains elsewhere, that washing on cold with a liquid detergent and then hanging to dry is all that is necessary. I have just recently purchased a spray bottle so that I can moisten my shirts before ironing and I imagine that this will make all of the difference in the world. This generally goes without saying, but make sure to always use distilled or at least purified (I use a Pur filter) water for spraying and ironing.

7. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

I always send my shirts out. Tower cleaners in NY and City of London Cleaners in London. I would consider washing and ironing the shirts myself if I were wearing very expensive, perfectly fitting bespoke shirts. But my lineup right now consists of RTW H&K, T&A, and Brooks for the most part.

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I don't but am going to start.

9. Alter

Alter Senior member

STD? Sexually Transmitted Disease? I hope you're feeling better now. [​IMG]

10. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I wash on gentle cycle on cold (sometimes whites on warm), hang dry and hand iron using a spray/mist bottle. Of course, I don't have to wear a dress shirt every day so it's not too bad to keep up with. I do have a bit of a backlog at the moment, though. I haven't caught up after a recent trip.

11. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I too wash and iron--I've been doing so for nearly a decade now. Unless I get the sudden urge to have buttons crushed, I will never again trust the care of my dress shirts to the cleaners.

12. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

I gave up on the cleaners after shiny collars and lost shirts.

Wash on 40C/100F and spin lightly on 700 or 500RPM. Stretch side, shoulder and sleeve seams. Stretch the front and collar and cuffs, if needed and drip-dry. Iron in batches of 5-6 in front of TV, preferably with a beer within reach.

The only problem with this is I used to get my shirts folded and wrapped in plastic. Now, I have to hang them up and they take up way too much space.

B

13. guitone

STD< Short Term Disability, as in post surgery......

14. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

I wash my shirts, and I iron them too... Last sunday I ironed 24 shirts. I just kept stacking them in the 'to-do' closet until I realized how many there were. [​IMG] luc

15. Alter

Alter Senior member

16. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

Here's something I don't understand: my Rbt Talbott shirt says to "cold iron" but that doesn't get the wrinkles out (after hang drying). The shirt seems very sturdy so I'm surprised at this requirement.

I'll try the Kabbaz method next time.

17. guitone

"STD< Short Term Disability, as in post surgery......

Yikes. Sorry to make a joke about it. I've never heard the abbreviation before.

I really do hope you are feeling better."

Thanks....I am feeling much better....Post surgery is never fun, docs do not set realistic expectations so you always hurt more than they lead you to believe...but now that I am up and around it is nice to be back...thanks

18. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

I launder and iron at home...except for unusual weeks once or twice a year where I'm traveling and the weekends are filled with other needs. There are some great threads here on washing and ironing if anyone is new to the Forum and looking for guidance.

19. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

I would love to - but the hours of an investment bank and the limits of a NYC laundry really get in the way.

I will when I move to the burbs.

20. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior member

I machine-wash all my shirts. Sometimes I hang-dry them, sometimes I machine-dry, depending on how lazy or patient I am feeling.