• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many of you have had english/italian shoes recrafted at the factory?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks, I have seen a lot of very nice shoes on SF from premium shoemarkers like C&G, EG, JL, Martegani, Vass etc and have enjoyed looking at the pics very much. We are all paying premium for good shoes, and none of us would like a good pair of shoes ruined because of a bad recraft, right? I have put off purchasing non-US shoes due to two reasons: price and doubts about recrafts. I currently own mostly US made shoes - (alden/SAS/Footjoy and one pair of Rider loafers) - and I am happy that whenever my shoes need a recrafting, I can always send my shoes to the factory and not worry about shipping/customs. The cost of recrafting is also quite reasonable (esp for what alden does).

I was wondering if any of you guys have actually sent the shoes to the original factory (esp CJ, EG and JL) for a recraft. I am curious to know how easy the process was and how much it cost (incl shipping both ways). Were you happy with the process?

It would be fantastic to see some pics of shoes before and after recrafting as well. AAAC has plenty of alden recraft pics and I was amazed at what alden could do.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not mine obviously but you can see an example of Church's recrafting here.

TC11201

Reaction score
I have had EGs recrafted. Was a couple of yrs ago in a very different fx environment. Think it ran somewhere around $200, but I could be mistaken. Took quite a while - four months+ if memory serves - but they came back in great condition. In some ways it's the best of both worlds - the comfort of a worn-in pair of shoes with all sorts of shiny new bells and whistles. There were no customs issues (I've only had a customs issue with one package out of literally hundreds of items that I've ordered from abroad (generally the UK and Italy), and even that was resolved relatively quickly).

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
srivats,

I am learning shoemaking now, so I may try to answer you how easy the process is.
If you mean recraft just resole and replace the heel, then it is quite simple, most of the good cobblers will do. If your shoe need to change the insole and welt, then the recraft may worth the money.
One more thing, if you take good care of your shoes, it shouldn't need recraft at lease for 10 years.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies folks.

TC11201, any photos of your EG shoes at all? $200 is not too bad considering shipping to and from from england, I think alden charges $135 (but you get new box, bags and shoetrees).

Fishball, I know what you mean - I take very, very good care of my shoes but I am simply curious to see actual photos of recrafted english shoes.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here is a pair of Edward Green shoes which were made in about 1985 (for Cole Haan),
still with their original soles (although rather thin):

various002.jpg

Same shoes after a recent re-crafting:

repair004.jpg

repair006.jpg

repair003.jpg

Promised and delivered within eight weeks at a cost of GBP 155 (about USD 220).
(Of course, I'm in the London, so no problems with shipping.)

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Here is a pair of Edward Green shoes which were made in about 1985 (for Cole Haan),
still with their original soles (although rather thin):

repair003.jpg

Promised and delivered within eight weeks at a cost of GBP 155 (about USD 220).
(Of course, I'm in the London, so no problems with shipping.)

Geezus ... Cole Haan has fallen a long way since then. EG seems to have done a great job!

888style

Reaction score
I have had EGs recrafted. Took quite a while - four months+ if memory serves - but they came back in great condition. In some ways it's the best of both worlds - the comfort of a worn-in pair of shoes with all sorts of shiny new bells and whistles.
Same here. And although there are some excellent shoe-repair-shops in Holland, I would not think bringing my EG other then back to the factory. You get new "old" pair that is already broken in.
inlove.gif

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Thanks for the replies folks.

TC11201, any photos of your EG shoes at all? $200 is not too bad considering shipping to and from from england, I think alden charges $135 (but you get new box, bags and shoetrees).

Fishball, I know what you mean - I take very, very good care of my shoes but I am simply curious to see actual photos of recrafted english shoes.

Unfortunately, I don't. Had them done before I was a regular on SF and honestly, it just didn't occur to me that that would be useful. I can tell you that while they didn't look totally new, they did come back in far better condition than I would have imagined - really, the main difference between them and a new pair was the patina'ed condition of the uppers, which to me added that gorgeous character we all look for. As for price, it may have been a tad above that, but my recollection was that the whole thing (excluding my shipping to them) was GBP125 or so.

YoungFogey

Reaction score
Just thought I'd add that EG's policy is that once the sole is replaced by someone else, they won't recondition the shoes. (Not sure how this relates to toe-caps, but I think replaced heels are OK.)

I just got back a pair of RLPL Carters I sent to EG. They kindly rebranded them as EG Dovers and replaced the double sole -- but the heel looks noticeably higher than I remembered. Total came to $285 (includes return shipping). It's expensive, but the shoes do look like new. (I note that the two pairs of brown shoes I've sent out to them seem to have come back rather darker in shade. Also, they've never offered or provided me the beautiful two-tone sole that BS received here.)

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungFogey
Just thought I'd add that EG's policy is that once the sole is replaced by someone else, they won't recondition the shoes. (Not sure how this relates to toe-caps, but I think replaced heels are OK.)

I just got back a pair of RLPL Carters I sent to EG. They kindly rebranded them as EG Dovers and replaced the double sole -- but the heel looks noticeably higher than I remembered. Total came to $285 (includes return shipping). It's expensive, but the shoes do look like new. (I note that the two pairs of brown shoes I've sent out to them seem to have come back rather darker in shade. Also, they've never offered or provided me the beautiful two-tone sole that BS received here.)

It's called the Half Black treatment -- I suppose one can request it if it is not provided.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got back a pair of RLPL Carters I sent to EG.

Pics?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, they've never offered or provided me the beautiful two-tone sole that BS received here.)

Originally Posted by RJman
It's called the Half Black treatment -- I suppose one can request it if it is not provided.

Just ask for it. I call it a "˜painted waist'.

At one time, they would only do it in black, hence "˜half-black', but now they will paint the waist in brown as well (maybe even more colours, but I never enquired about that).

On their own label, I think, EG does it as standard on black shoes, but not on brown, although RLPL have the painted waist on all lace-ups.

But as I said, on a made-to-order or repair job - request it.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
On their own label, I think, EG does it as standard on black shoes, but not on brown, although RLPL have the painted waist on all lace-ups.

They didn't do it on mine. Incidentally, does the sockliner used on EG's own branded shoes denote the year it was made, etc or is it a random thing? I think current EGs either have the rectangle logo or the debossed stamp logo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads