• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles....

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
I'd like to know, on average, how long a double leather sole can last, in terms of miles. Or what your experiences have been.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the pair gemmed?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A double sole does not "last" any longer than a single sole.

When the sole wears through the bottom layer, it is past time to resole in either case.

The function of a "double" sole is to make the shoe more unyielding to broken terrain. Think hiking boot. Shoes that pursue this goal might even have a "triple" sole, like the famous Weston Chasse.

An aesthetic reason for a double or "HAF" type of sole might be simply for the looks of it.

It has nothing to do with longevity of wear for city use, i.e., walking "mileage." The actual quality of the leather in the sole (e.g., is it bark tanned?) has more to do with how long you can wear it before a resole.

Last edited:

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

A double sole does not "last" any longer than a single sole.
When the sole wears through the bottom layer, it is past time to resole in either case.
The function of a "double" sole is to make the shoe more unyielding to broken terrain. Think hiking boot. Shoes that pursue this goal might even have a "triple" sole, like the famous Weston Chasse.
An aesthetic reason for a double or "HAF" type of sole might be simply for the looks of it.
It has nothing to do with longevity of wear for city use, i.e., walking "mileage." The actual quality of the leather in the sole (e.g., is it bark tanned?) has more to do with how long you can wear it before a resole.

Ahhh, I thought double sole allowed a bit more time before a resole was necessary.

Then the question becomes: In terms of city mileage, how long would an alden double oil locked sole last vs a trickers or AS double oak bark tanned sole?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Ahhh, I thought double sole allowed a bit more time before a resole was necessary.
Then the question becomes: In terms of city mileage, how long would an alden double oil locked sole last vs a trickers or AS double oak bark tanned sole?

Well, when you should resole and how long you can torture a shoe before it dies a horrible Dickensonian death are two different things. A double sole will do the latter longer than a single sole, but it would not do the former any differently.

I have no answer to your second set of comparative questions. It is sort of like asking if an Incotex or Mabitex chino will wear through first ********** if you are squirmy in your office task seat. There is probably an answer, but is the question worth asking?

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

Well, when you should resole and how long you can torture a shoe before it dies a horrible Dickensonian death are two different things. A double sole will do the latter longer than a single sole, but it would not do the former any differently.
I have no answer to your second set of comparative questions. It is sort of like asking if an Incotex or Mabitex chino will wear through first ********** if you are squirmy in your office task seat. There is probably an answer, but is the question worth asking?

I think it's more like asking if left or right handed woven denim will blow out at the crotch sooner.

but:

there are far worse deaths to die than Dickensonian—if we think alone, downtrodden, beaten to a pulp emotionally, let's go with gogol, no?

In point of fact, no it's probably not worth answering for most people, but perhaps for someone who has a limited income and live in new york city as a pedestrian, it becomes a point of interest. However, overall my question remains unanswered, and I still don't know how long a quality sole will last in a city.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Cities are hard on the sole, it's true.

E TF

Reaction score
My old commute to school involved about a half mile walk each way, maybe 150 yards of which was along a sandy/gravely path. It knackered leather soles extremely quickly - like walking over broken glass or something - I remember getting shoes resoled perhaps annually. I rotated I guess three pairs of shoes back then (all single soles, but as F.C. points out that's essentially irrelevant), so we could calculate that the soles were lasting roughly 150 miles (allowing for a bit of extra use at each end of the commute and on weekends). But they were middling quality shoes and I wasn't exactly diligent about their care back then.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think anyone can really come up with a mileage answer. Most people will just remember when they had to resole a pair of shoes (which is not particularly related to the OP's question), not how far they'd walked while wearing them.

If the OP is really interested in a distance-related answer, I suspect the answer will be to buy a pedometer and experiment.

Well, when you should resole and how long you can torture a shoe before it dies a horrible Dickensonian death are two different things...

Assuming you're referring to Dickens here which would make sense in the context, I had no idea Americans used Dickensonian instead of Dickensian; I learn something new every day. Or is there an academic difference between the two adjectives that I'm not aware of? I'm curious now...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've walked many miles in mine. How many? I don't know.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

I don't think anyone can really come up with a mileage answer. Most people will just remember when they had to resole a pair of shoes (which is not particularly related to the OP's question), not how far they'd walked while wearing them.

If the OP is really interested in a distance-related answer, I suspect the answer will be to buy a pedometer and experiment.

Assuming you're referring to Dickens here which would make sense in the context, I had no idea Americans used Dickensonian instead of Dickensian; I learn something new every day. Or is there an academic difference between the two adjectives that I'm not aware of? I'm curious now...

There is no effective difference between the two, but when words become adjectives or adverbs, sometimes the suffix is a bastardization of an actual word which gives the user something to say but not necessarily something that's correct. For example, I've had two philosophy professors, one who was scottish and would say 'epistemic' when discussing a question in epistemology, while Ive had another professor who was american and said 'epistemological' to the same end. I'm not sure which was right.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd like to know, on average, how long a double leather sole can last, in terms of miles. Or what your experiences have been.

If you had not got 753 posts I would have said 'troll'. A double sole will last no longer than a single sole: Double does not refer to longer life rather a stiffer shoe. Seems a rather odd and indeed unnecessary question.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics