• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did about 4 miles in 38 minutes....had to stop for the pooch......and myself.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8.5 miles last night. The tacos for dinner weighed me down then I got the chills that wouldn't go away. A few ibuprofen before bed helped and the only thing today is tired legs.

Sounds like you need a short break.

It was track night last night, and I actually did a reasonable job of taking it easy although perhaps I could have taken it even easier. 6 x 1000m intervals, and I ran them at an average of 3:54 min/km - that's 6-7 seconds / km slower than the last couple of occasions and I really was keeping them even and steady.

Now I get a break for a day or so. My legs are good but they do feel the work I've put in over the last few days.

Msktime

Reaction score
I’m trying to get back into running after many years out the game (though staying relatively fit via lifting, despite working a desk job). Sometimes I find I can’t sleep after even what feels like an easy run - my legs feel tired and my body amped, and I find myself kicking around until 3am, even if I have work early the next day. Anyone have this insomnia problem and successfully deal with it?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wanted to do a fast four-mile run. Did the first two in 15 minutes. The last half was completed.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to get back into running after many years out the game (though staying relatively fit via lifting, despite working a desk job). Sometimes I find I can’t sleep after even what feels like an easy run - my legs feel tired and my body amped, and I find myself kicking around until 3am, even if I have work early the next day. Anyone have this insomnia problem and successfully deal with it?

That sounds pretty normal, particularly when you’re getting back into a routine and/or doing too much too soon. Have you tried shifting your runs to the morning/afternoon? It might help those endorphins settle after an extended period of rest before bed.

On the flip side, one of the first signs of overtraining that I experience is restless sleep. Overtraining isn’t a defined mileage or intensity, rather it’s the threshold that an individual can handle at that given time. Going from couch to 20m a week might be overkill for one individual. Joints, ligaments, and bone take much longer than muscle tissue to make adaptations at the cellular level. Running is a fickle and demanding ‘sport’ — no shame in taking things slow and easy.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
That sounds pretty normal, particularly when you’re getting back into a routine and/or doing too much too soon. Have you tried shifting your runs to the morning/afternoon? It might help those endorphins settle after an extended period of rest before bed.

On the flip side, one of the first signs of overtraining that I experience is restless sleep. Overtraining isn’t a defined mileage or intensity, rather it’s the threshold that an individual can handle at that given time. Going from couch to 20m a week might be overkill for one individual. Joints, ligaments, and bone take much longer than muscle tissue to make adaptations at the cellular level. Running is a fickle and demanding ‘sport’ — no shame in taking things slow and easy.

yup.Getting back into running at 50 has required a lot. Lots of patience, and the willingness to start over from zero as often as necessary. Complementary exercise; for strength yes, but also for flexibility, balance, and kinesthesia / body awareness. For me that includes cycling, in-line skating, Pilates, HIIT, and yoga.
I also have a bit of ADD and doing multiple modalities helps to keep me interested. PT and gait work helped me to develop a proper stride and strengthen the necessary muscles, which eventually got rid of my knee and hip pain.

I’ve been at it for 2+ years now and comfortably ran a half marathon a couple of months ago. At 25 that might only have taken me a few months to achieve!

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rested almost 2 full days, and this evening went out on my easy (marathon pace) run. Because I'm reducing the distances as I taper, this was only 12km (7 1/2 miles) as opposed to what has been my usual 16 (almost 10 miles). I did feel like I was running easy, but by the end it turned out that my pace was 4:43 min/km, when I had been aiming for 5 min/km (or more). And I feel great. To put this into perspective, that's pretty much the pace I ran the last 10k race I did back in July when I was just starting the road to recovery.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
About 5 miles ~45 minutes had to stop because my dog was acting up so my running pace was ok i suppose

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 miles last night. When you guys say 2 days of rest, how many hours are you talking? For instance, I take Mondays and Wednesdays off so between runs, it is 54 hrs and 48 hrs respectively. I went on my Thursday run last night and felt a lot better. We fixed the thermostat issue at work where the office was 60* then I wore more layers last night. I guess I just need to wear more clothes.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 miles last night. When you guys say 2 days of rest, how many hours are you talking?

In my case, I ran intervals on Wednesday evening and then didn't run again until late Friday afternoon - I think it was exactly 44 1/2 hours between when I finished and when I next started. I normally have a day's break between each run, so I would have run again early on Friday morning.

My regular schedule is:

Sunday AM - Long Run.
Monday - no run
Tuesday AM - Tempo Run.
Wednesday PM - Track Speedwork / Intervals.
Thursday - no run
Friday AM - Marathon Pace Run.
Saturday - no run

This seems to work at my age and fitness level. The only reason it changed this week is that I had to do my long run on Monday, and since the track times are fixed, everything got compressed, so some extra time off was necessary later in the week.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve taken the past week off. I might get back to it tomorrow. I’ve been cutting back on sugar and caloric intake, so my energy level has been a bit low. I’ve been lifting weights and climbing, but skipping the cardio. I’ve also lost the weight I’d put on the last few months, and am closing in on my goal weight. We’ll see where it goes from there.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran 3.5 with the dogs on the trails this morning and then rode 7.25 miles to a park towing the kids in the trailer (partial on icy paths). I’m sure you all can get which was harder...

0D1615EB-661E-4BA8-A412-EF3E08A2926E.jpeg

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got up at 05:30 today and ran just over 28 km (about 17 1/2 miles) along the Ara river and back. When I did this one three weeks ago it felt so hard, but after 2 almost 40km weekend long runs, it didn't feel bad at all. I was comfortable enough to run the last 4km a bit faster, so my final average pace was under 6 min/km, although most of it was probably more like 6:05 - 6:10, which is what I was aiming for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads