• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tempo day today. Total: 8.7km (just under 5 1/2 miles) in 39:58, an average pace of 4:36 min/km. However that includes the 1.5km (just under a mile) of warm-up and down, run at 5:20. The 3 hilly little laps of the local park amounted to 7.2km in 31:58, which is about 4:26 min/km, and more importantly, I felt good today. My conclusion from the last few days is that it takes me at least a week to recover from longer races now. Getting older is annoying, but there's nothing you can do about it.

(edited to correct calculations...)

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4.5 miles on the treadmill last night with some really fast 30 to 60 second intervals every 2 minutes.

Let the waiting game begin again... I don’t mind the rain, but I’m not going up on the hill in a thunderstorm.

View attachment 1239181

I don't blame you. I enjoy running in the rain as well but also will call things off for thunder and lighting. We had a guy get struck by lighting on the rifle range once when I was in the Marines. He survived relatively unscathed (thank goodness for heavy, thick rubber soled combat boots!) but that's not something I'd want to mess with.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Worked out with my trainer today...and realized that I need more recovery time; I've already pushed my running mileage up 75% over my usual week, plus a heavy leg and core workout on Tuesday. I really wish he'd warned me that he was going to do a heavy cardio day - we spent the first half of the session going mountain climbers - jump rope - stairway sprint. In between we did one-legged medicine ball tosses to "recover". I was ok for the first couple of sets...then I started fading...and the sets just kept coming...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4.5 miles on the treadmill last night with some really fast 30 to 60 second intervals every 2 minutes.

I don't blame you. I enjoy running in the rain as well but also will call things off for thunder and lighting. We had a guy get struck by lighting on the rifle range once when I was in the Marines. He survived relatively unscathed (thank goodness for heavy, thick rubber soled combat boots!) but that's not something I'd want to mess with.

I ended up just walking the dogs. I still went out on the trails, but I brought my camera to take some pics of the storm clouds to the northeast.

SunsetPowerPole-IMG_2890-1a.jpg

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last run in Copenhagen this morning, so I set out to run to the beach, just north of the airport, and back. This was supposedly a marathon-pace day, so the aim was about 15km @ 5:00 min/km. The curse of not having a properly planned route is that I kept having to slow down or even stop to make sure of where I was. I was glad I went though. Coming back I had aimed to go through a large park, which turned out to be a lot wilder than it looked on the map, and some of the paths were muddy singletrack that didn't seem to be going in the directions they should have been... more slowing, more stopping to make sure. Eventually I ended up at the right bridge and back to the area we're staying in.

Anyway, it was a good run, even if the times and pace were nothing like what I'd set out to do: 17.7km in just over 1:36, meaning the overall pace was nearer 5:30 than 5:00. I don't mind. It was fun.

My next run, a long one, will be in Stockholm on Sunday morning...

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I said things were going to get more complex this month, and they are. Today we leave Copenhagen and from then on it's ferries and trains all the way to Tokyo. Mostly we'll be sleeping on the trains and ferries but are also stopping over in several places: Stockholm, Helsinki, Saint Petersburg, Tobol'sk, Novosibirsk, Ust-Barguzin (on Lake Baikal), Khabarovsk, Vladivostok, Donghae, Sakaiminato, Kinosaki (hot spring town) and finally visiting family in Shiga. We arrive in Tokyo on October 7th. At most stops, I'll do a run (sometimes two), and actually in terms of running schedule, it shouldn't be much different from my normal routine, I'll just have to make sure I get up and walk around and stretch etc. more on the trains in particular.

I'm also going to be taking a complete break from social media, forums etc. during this time, so I'll next check in here when I get to Tokyo. So long, comrades...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3.5 miles on the roads around the neighborhood. Three at marathon pace, which felt extra hard with temps in the mid 80s...

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
3.5 miles along the beach in Pacifica, with a few hundred feet of elevation gain from looping a bluff trail a few times. Legs felt like I’ve finally recovered from last week’s half, at least for this distance. Added bonus of catching sight of a couple of whales swimming just off shore (probably grays).

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3.1 miles, mostly on trails, earlier this afternoon. I ran to where my wife was playing with the dogs and kids, ran a bit, then ran back home with them. I pushed the stroller for the last kilometer or so. Temps were in the mid 80s.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday: 7.5 miles in terrible heat..worst of the year so likely there was an air quality warning. Saturday was 9.9 road miles before helping my inlaws move in. Sunday was 8.4 trail miles which was nice because I could push it knowing it was only 2 laps on my favorite trail.

This week I have a couple usual evening runs then Friday will be 20+ trail miles. Hopefully the weather cooperates. I'd love anything with partly cloudy because a sunny day on the trails adds crazy shadows and it makes it hard to see rocks or undulations in the path.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads