• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Ghost line since around the 8 version. They have what they call the GTX version made with GoreTex which much be for the trail scene but I have not tried those out. I will stick with these until I have issues.

Honestly, I do not know anyone else who likes a 12mm drop shoe. The majority of people like something with a more minimal drop but I have always had issues with those shoes. I midfoot strike so I have that going.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When Brooks changed the shoe I liked, I ended up buying three pairs from a vendor closing them out. It worked out well, and even a couple of years after the discontinuation, I could find that same shoe online (albeit at a bit of a premium). If you like the one you're wearing, this approach may work for you.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When Brooks changed the shoe I liked, I ended up buying three pairs from a vendor closing them out. It worked out well, and even a couple of years after the discontinuation, I could find that same shoe online (albeit at a bit of a premium). If you like the one you're wearing, this approach may work for you.

Unfortunately I only found they had discontinued them some months afterwards, because I wasn't running that much for a while - or I would have done exactly what you did and bought a lot. There are some of the last generation available online, I've noticed, so I'll try to get hold of a couple of pairs.

rbalexandrite

Reaction score
I'm feeling kinda burnout lately but I manage to run at least 3 miles today. I really do need a vacation and rest.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long run today, all on-road this time. I didn't exactly get lost but I did decide on the fly to do a slightly longer route, which unfortunately included a stretch of road that was not exactly friendly to runners because of the speed and attitude of drivers. I got through that, but then, about 15km in, it started to rain torrentially and kept it up pretty much until the end, which came just after by far the most significant hill on the route. Strangely, the total distance was almost exactly the same as the unexpectedly long run I did the other day: 25.5km (c.16 miles). But I was actually a bit quicker than the other day, probably just because I didn't stop to work out where I was at all. However, speed isn't the point of these long runs; just being out there moving for 2-3 hours is the goal.

We're travelling up north to stay with friends tomorrow, so my next run will be along the North Sea coast, and then it's a couple of days of fell-running in the Lake District.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6 miles yesterday evening (it's starting to get dark earlier already so thankfully my headlamp was fully charged) and according to Strava, I set a PR on a segment. The segment was a half mile section of trail entirely along a river and through the woods. I think I set my PR on it because I was moving so fast to avoid being carried away by mosquitoes or swallowing hundreds of little gnats with each breath.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Setting off for the north-east of England today. This is the exact path I will be running tomorrow for my mid-range run (this is about my turnaround point!). However, bear in mind that the weather is almost never like in the photo, and that it will very probably be grey and raining. It's an amazing stretch of coast though - even 50 years ago, this was coal-mining country and the coast was basically used to dump coal waste. Today, the area is still a bit rough around the edges in social terms, but environmentally it's been totally cleaned up, and there are trails all the way along it for miles and miles. North of the river Tyne, it gradually gets wilder and more beautiful, with windswept sandy beaches and ruined castles. I love this area, and lived here most of my adult life before moving to Canada (for work).
iu

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Barefoot run on the beach and blisters to prove it. This is the beach where goonies was shot so some good nostalgia vibes
7FFF4362-2CB3-422B-A07A-FF5B5055B7BE.png
06C3ED80-6E1D-4BC9-8216-53E8A0284B6D.png

Also discovered that beachside big toe will dive into the sand from time to time.

I’m blaming the slow pace on the sand
8850BC89-9CCF-4748-BE52-26E115794629.jpeg
E2DECA19-C7B7-4B44-A48A-66EFED4A9EA1.jpeg

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just back from my 15km supposedly mid-pace run... but while the North Sea cliffside scenary was great, the run wasn't. I felt something go 'ping' in my left calf at about the turnaround point. It hurt immediately but then stopped. So I decided to take it easy for a few km, and ran back at recovery pace, then slowly speeded up again to see what would happen. Nothing really did, but then my stomach started to feel really bad - this happened the other too actually, also at about 12-13km into the run, but then I was in the middle of a forest so, you know... anyway, today I found that going faster made this worse, so I basically had to walk back the last bit and head straight for the bathroom when I got in. You don't have to 'like' this one, really - I didn't. ;)

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luckily my friends we're staying with have some rollers for muscles, so I've been spending a lot of time rolling my legs since this morning. I don't think I've done anything terrible, but it warrants a few days off, and luckily I had 2 days off scheduled tomorrow and Sunday. But maybe it will need a week or more. So I will only run next week if everything feels perfect. I can't risk being injured for my half.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another day, another train... we're heading over from Newcastle to the Lake District today. If my leg is fine - and it seems like it is - I'll do a short tester on Monday and then on Tuesday I'll be running an out-and-back from where we are staying at almost sea level, to Illgill Head, which stands at 609m (just under 2000 feet) above Wastwater, the deepest and darkest of the lakes.
iu

And if not, well, it's a nice picture...

rbalexandrite

Reaction score
That's a superb view you have there.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I did my 6.5km test run, and as I was feeling good and there seems to be nothing wrong with my calf (yay, rollers), extended it up Irton Pike, which is basically straight up to 200m (660'), for a total ascent of 245 metres or so (805 feet). The steepness meant that coming down was actually harder than going up.

So tomorrow, I will do my long fell run...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads