• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, when healthy I actually do cover a good bit of ground for a 190lb’er. I donate shoes at the ~225m mark. Past 200m I’m just playing with fire and have had some foot fascia flare ups trying to squeeze out a couple extra miles.

In the grand scheme of clothing/footwear relativity...I have a walk-in closet full of Edward Green, Gaziano & Girling, and John Lobb all over the $1k+ per pair mark. There must be 40 pair or so...down from 60+ at one point. So when I look running shoes that actually serve a critical purpose, it doesn’t make sense for me to cut corners. Especially at $100-$200 each...****, I have pieces of clothing in my closet I haven’t even worn yet that cost 3x+. Besides, new stuff is fun.

765891C2-DD42-4D3B-838B-EADE07C17D92.jpeg
Most of these are still BNIB.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are on another level....I am glad my <$100 Brooks Ghost shoes are working for now. I get 400 miles easy out of those but realize some people need special shoes.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I felt bad about paying $105 for my Altra Kayentas... :cheers:

metals37

Reaction score
I've noticed running shoe pricing creeping up in the last few years. I think the improvements in foams and uppers has driven some of that. I also assume that tariffs are going to be an issue at some point......

I historically have been able to get ~600 miles on a shoe before starting to have issues. I know a shoe is done when I have knee pain after a run. I feel very fortunate to be able to get that many miles on my shoes.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn!! You guys pound every fiber of life out of those things. Reminds me of my dad who holds on to a pair of sneakers until holes form in the outsole. To each their own man, that’s great. I’m happy for you guys.

For me, I love that fresh and springy feeling that you get from the first ~100m of wear.

The only sadness I harbor resides in the limitation of having but two feet.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've noticed running shoe pricing creeping up in the last few years. I think the improvements in foams and uppers has driven some of that. I also assume that tariffs are going to be an issue at some point......

I historically have been able to get ~600 miles on a shoe before starting to have issues. I know a shoe is done when I have knee pain after a run. I feel very fortunate to be able to get that many miles on my shoes.

I think the style on many running shoes has improved a lot over the past few years so demand has gone up by those who aren’t wearing them to run but just want a nice casual athletic shoe, especially among those in the SW&D crowd. Previously, nobody but “Dad” would be caught dead in a pair of runners but these days that’s changed. I think that’s driven the prices up quite a bit over the past few years.

For myself, I used to be a cheapskate and would try to get 500 miles out of a pair but now I replace every 300 miles (or whenever I need to travel and my go-to shoes stink too much to put in my luggage).

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 miles at lunch.

I change my shoes more based on the sole now but it is generally in the 400-500 range...I think. I midfoot strike and wet pavement can be sketchy when it is bare.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got my 8k race tomorrow morning. It won't be great. I've finished in the Top 25 of this race 3 times in the past, with a best time of 31:24. But tomorrow I'm just hoping I can get under 36:00, which will be by far my worst time ever. On the plus side, it will be raining: my favourite conditions.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5.5 trail miles with the dogs. We’re starting to get warm weather again, with temps in the low 70s.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, the race was pretty much as I expected: 35:53 for the 8k. Almost everyone else I used to measure myself against was between 2 and 4 minutes faster. But I know I can get back there. This time next year, I will be aiming for as near 32:00 as I can get. So more volume and for the next month at least, longer distances. I've got our local 10K race at the start of July.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
4.2 miles on 5/26 in Montana on dirt roads, which felt great
4.5 miles on 5/30 trying Santa Fe trail for the first time (turned at Munger)

13.1 today, my first time to complete a half marathon distance. Splits were
6 miles in 46:48
7 - 54:30
60:00 @7.71
8 - 62:11
9 - 69:53
10 - 77:35
11 - 86:17
12 - 94:28
Then the ******* treadmill told me "run ended" at 12.65 miles and I had to restart the thing to do the last 0.45 so I don't have a final time

I can extrapolate it but it's quite a kick in the nuts not to have a final time. I restarted the thing so fast I don't even know what my time was through 12.65

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads