• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good stuff. I also think more exercise can be linked to greater quality of life; I say this as a former unfit person. I would accept a couple years off my life expectancy to be able to enjoy being able to get out and do things for much more of said life.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 miles with the dogs after an hour of kettlebell work at the gym at lunchtime.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 miles last night and some kettle bell work.

Here is a fun pic of life span vs. health span I shared somewhere else as well. Poor health can lead to a lower quality of life so why not work out a little more to get more enjoyment out of life. Yea we could both live to the same age, but being on meds for 20 years to get you there does not sound like fun or enjoyable.

Longevity-White-board.jpg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6.3 miles for me this morning.

Regarding being active and lifespans - I've never seen my dad play a sport or go for a run but he's now in his 80s and still maintains a pretty sizeable hobby farm which keeps him very active (the dairy cows are long gone but he still puts up a few thousand bales of hay and straw each year) and he's in amazing health for his age. He's overweight (par for the course for somebody who loves candy and ice cream as much as he does) but no signs of diabetes or heart disease or cancer and he's always proud to tell me his cholesterol numbers when he gets them measured.

My next door neighbor is 98 and also in amazing shape! He's old and slow and frail but he does tons of gardening and yardwork and he was an engineer and an architect and does a lot of the maintenance on his house all by his self. I remember one day a couple of summers ago I was laying in the hammock one weekend afternoon and I look over and see him standing on the roof of his house fixing something. I scrambled to get out of the hammock to go over and offer some help (or at least spot him up there) but he was done with whatever he was doing and down the ladder by the time I got to the gate! I mentioned this to his son who had moved back home to help care for him and he told me he has yelled at his dad not to do that kind of work anymore but finally gave up because he figured if it's going to kill him, at least he'll die happy. The guy also still paints, plays piano, and sings in a local men's choir.

These are just two anecdotes but even without scientific studies I'm a firm believer that exercices and activity are great for increasing your lifespan. Being sedentary has got to be one of the worst things for a body.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ferry that serves our island has moved to its winter dock which is 4.5km from our place. It's another 2.5k to where I work on the other side. So that's a nice, brisk morning run*. I run back to the ferry in the evening, but I usually get a ride home from someone because it tends to be after dark and there are no lights on the road from the ferry...

I also started a running club on our island. There are couple of guys who want to lose weight and do a tri next year so I said I'd help them out, and we have a few younger women who run regularly, so... we meet on Sunday mornings for what will eventually be a longer, slower run, and we also intend to meet for intervals training on another evening (although that won't be happening once the ice and darkness set in).

*I say nice, but running everyday early in the morning when you haven't been for a while actually hurts and while I am apparently running at a reasonable pace, it feels slow.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5 miles today in 45:00; ran a pretty darn fast (for my current running) final 400 meters to get to 9:00 pace just under the wire.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3@22:44

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5.6 miles with the dogs. I’m planning to climb a long 5.6 route tomorrow morning.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 miles after leg day at the gym. Tomorrow is likely going to be a lot of riding the stationary bike while watching college football due to a mix of (1) wanting to watch games and (2) weather being garbage around here.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
actually got outdoors for the first time in months. Just ran 25:01 at what felt like a good pace but the fitbit showed 2.38 mi (that **** aint' right)

Based on what I've been doing on the treadmill I'd guess it was a bit over 3 miles and keeping with tradition I had to stop to *********** about halfway through

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 miles with the dogs. That was a hard run after doing six pitches up to 5.6 on the First Flatiron earlier (we did all but the final pitch of the Direct East Face).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads