• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a meeting yesterday that went off the rails on the first slide and bullet point #2. Instead of going for a run I hit the gym and added 10lbs to both my squat and DL. While finishing up I saw the awful news on the TV then went home to hang out with the kids.

vespertiliovir

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have shoe recs for an overpronater? I’m starting to run more regularly and I’m finding the random pair of Nikes I’ve had for years doesn’t cut it. i typically run pretty short distances (~3-6 miles), but as I get more serious I’d like to mix in longer runs as well as speed work. TIA.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have shoe recs for an overpronater? I’m starting to run more regularly and I’m finding the random pair of Nikes I’ve had for years doesn’t cut it. i typically run pretty short distances (~3-6 miles), but as I get more serious I’d like to mix in longer runs as well as speed work. TIA.

Everybody's gait and feet are so different that I've found recommendations online to not really be worth all that much. In a case like this, it really is beneficial to go into a local running store and have them asses your running and then let them make a couple recommendations.

Yes, you'll probably be paying a little more than if you were looking online for a discount on the same shoe, but you'll be more assured that the shoe will work for you rather than dealing with buying online where you may have to go through the hassle of returns/exchanges or just eat the cost of a shoe you ultimately don't like.

If the added cost when buying locally is an issue, just remember that you can always buy that first pair from the local store and then buy any subsequent replacement pairs online where you might get a better deal.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can a friend who owns a running store and when I need new shoes, as long as the prices I find online are similar to MSRP, I order from him and they are drop shipped to me. But yea, if you ever need shoe updates, go to a local store.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Everybody's gait and feet are so different that I've found recommendations online to not really be worth all that much. In a case like this, it really is beneficial to go into a local running store and have them asses your running and then let them make a couple recommendations.

Yes, you'll probably be paying a little more than if you were looking online for a discount on the same shoe, but you'll be more assured that the shoe will work for you rather than dealing with buying online where you may have to go through the hassle of returns/exchanges or just eat the cost of a shoe you ultimately don't like.

If the added cost when buying locally is an issue, just remember that you can always buy that first pair from the local store and then buy any subsequent replacement pairs online where you might get a better deal.

Concur with @Michigan Planner get fitted/shoe recommendations at a store where they can look at your gait, etc. once you have a couple models locked in, it is easy to order online (even as the generations progress)

My current lineup (Overpronator here)

Brooks Adrenaline GTS ## and Asics GT 1000

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
19 miles this afternoon. It was 72°, clear and sunny at noon, and by the time I could actually get on the road at 3:00, it was 64° and the fog was blowing in at 20 mph. It was solidly socked in at the Presidio, so I bailed on Hawk Hill and rode the perimeter of the city instead where it was still sunny and warm-ish.

78E76871-2460-4CE3-872C-F77431DF4A1A.jpeg

Someone decided to end their ride in the middle of this Presidio street. Admittedly, it's not open to car traffic, but still...

3D8228F2-99FE-409A-90C0-AA6419A24D62.jpeg
5DABAEDC-E371-4575-B286-F62783EF2B50.jpeg
F9DD0C31-A967-497E-AC00-1431C6B694E7.jpeg
ADB1DC78-4A51-4C2C-BA3E-6AD23A771A48.jpeg
16475E0B-C050-4153-82EB-ED2286F74E3B.jpeg
8828E918-D04F-419F-8E27-F33858FC6B7E.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4.5 road miles by headlamp tonight (I finished Around 10:30). Just after I got back home, my oldest son came out complaining of being hungry and feeling sick. He had a fever, so I gave him a snack and some Tylenol. I didn’t test him, but I’ll assume that’s a third COVID case in the house.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 miles this morning at a 7:55/mile pace. I'm going to try to get back out there tonight before bed on the same route and see what sort of pace I can get.

It was surprisingly humid here this morning, much more so than I was expecting. It's still pretty muggy out there right now with temps in the mid 70s.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been putting on some weight the past 2 months and now up about 4.5 lbs/2 kgs to about 174lbs. I tried a maxout session on my C&J and hit 240lbs pretty easily on Saturday. Goal for C&J is 245lbs by August and 255lbs by EOY.

My snatch is still too weak but I'm hoping to get 175lbs in August and 185lbs in December

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read this thread then forget to post 7.3 miles each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with weight sessions Saturday morning and today. Felt great Saturday for a 165lbs squat then backed down to 160lbs today as it didn’t feel great but DLs today felt awesome once I adjusted my shorts which were somehow messing with my positioning

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in Rotterdam, first stop on my three week northern European tour... 11.4km (7.1 miles) today, and my first timed run, pace was 5:09/km (8:17/mile). I will here most of this week, then on to Paris and then London, Newcastle, Glasgow, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Malmo, Copenhagen and home. I'm still in two minds about whether to run this coming Sunday's Adidas Paris 10k that I had signed up for back when I didn't know I had a hernia, but I have definitely pulled out of the Half I was supposed to run in three weeks. That's actually more because I have to visit a friend who lives in the opposite direction but I don't think I would have enjoyed in anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads