• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's well over freezing and everything's melting, but we're going to have freezing rain later, which is the worst...

Anyway, I went our for my km intervals. Usual deal: 8.6km including 4 x 1km tempo pace. The wind against me on the way out was particularly strong today and I was quite lethargic anyway, so the wind behind me on the way back didn't make up for it as much as it might normally have done. Average tempo: 4:30/km (7:15/mile); average easy: 5:47/km (9:18/mile).

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smart move. Here in the northeast I sometimes see guys bicycling in the winter. The risk/reward ratio seems way off. Just one spot of black ice away from a lengthy stay on the DL.

Id have gone for a trail run, but my friend who lives next to my local trails told me that they are really bad too. It’s supposed to be above freezing tomorrow.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sheet ice is perfect for getting my iSpikes out... I actually love running in those shoes.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sheet ice is perfect for getting my iSpikes out... I actually love running in those shoes.

If I encountered these conditions more, I'd probably go that route. We just don't get ice very often (we might average one day per winter like this). I do need to figure out what shoes to use for my trail race in June. Ice is almost a certainty up there that time of year.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I encountered these conditions more, I'd probably go that route. We just don't get ice very often (we might average one day per winter like this). I do need to figure out what shoes to use for my trail race in June. Ice is almost a certainty up there that time of year.

For a race that has just some ice, I reckon it would be best to take some spikes you can add if and when you need.

And, frankly, I don't think I 'need' these shoes either - on current rates of use they are going to last me a decade.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
First trainer session of the year
80C37DF1-3137-43F6-B1D2-6E3BBC93EF48.jpeg

9B6B08A5-D53F-4715-BA24-84738C5823AC.jpeg

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Due to rain yesterday, I hopped on the Peloton and struggled. Barely got to my normal 45min goal I usually hit without a struggle.

Was hoping to get out on a run today which may have to be broken up in pieces in my neighborhood. As I drove over the river I have posted pics from, it is pretty high so my normal greenway is likely flooded and I don't want to run with wet feet.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Due to rain yesterday, I hopped on the Peloton and struggled. Barely got to my normal 45min goal I usually hit without a struggle.

Was hoping to get out on a run today which may have to be broken up in pieces in my neighborhood. As I drove over the river I have posted pics from, it is pretty high so my normal greenway is likely flooded and I don't want to run with wet feet.
Did you listen to the St. Vincent Bowie remix?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you listen to the St. Vincent Bowie remix?

I did not listen to the Bowie rides as I am not a huge Bowie fan. I end up doing a Club Bangers or Hip Hop ride to at least keep the beat going. I tried a pop ride one time and wasn't a fan. Add to that the metal ride where I felt like I was getting yelled at by the instructor for 20min.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did do my XC hill repeat laps today, but the conditions were difficult and I was not quick. It was -13ºC, with sheet ice on the roads, but ice-coated 30cm (12") or more of snow off-road, except for one section of packed snow where my route coincides with a skidoo route. So, tough and slow: 5 x 1.4km laps, average 6:58/lap or 4:58/km (7:59/mile).

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 trail miles. Foggy and pretty cold, but at least the ice is mostly gone. Higher up on the hill, there’s still a lot of ice in the grass. I was down to an 11:00/mile pace for a short stretch running through the grass next to the trail. Temps in the mid 20s.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4.1 miles today in the neighborhood. 4 laps around lunch then one this evening. I tried for 4 tonight but my headlamp died after the first lap. Figured out my headlamp won’t charge when connected to a higher wattage wall adapter versus lower. For instance, plugged it in with my iPad wall charger and didn’t work but flipped it over to my iPhone charger and it worked. Didn’t even know this was a potential issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads