• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7.3 miles yesterday on the greenway which was surprisingly muddy in one spot despite no standing water in the normal areas. It was that super sticky, lose your shoe kinda mud so had to adjust my path.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the day off today so I went out for a longer run than I normally get on Mondays and got 12 miles in at an easy 8:32/mile pace. This was my first run after passing out on Friday and everything seemed to go well and there was no lightheadedness or dizziness during the day today afterwards.

I mean cmon, don’t you remember having to chug your canteen every night before lights out? ?

I think this is more akin to when they’d make us stand in formation for hours for some useless officer’s retirement ceremony and somebody would hit the deck after locking their knees. Officers! Amiright!

When yall say building a base, are u referring to just putting down long flowy runs?

Building base miles typically refers to building your run mileage up to decent training mileage and not doing any speedwork.

^This is what “building a base” means for me.

Once it cools down this time of year, I still enjoy running but I just don’t have the motivation to do any speed work or tempo runs (plus, it’s always more difficult to go fast with all the extra layers of clothing). So my goal from November to March is to just get out there and keep the total mileage up. That way, when the warmer weather returns I’m not starting over from scratch and I haven’t backslid too far in terms of fitness.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the day off today so I went out for a longer run than I normally get on Mondays and got 12 miles in at an easy 8:32/mile pace. This was my first run after passing out on Friday and everything seemed to go well and there was no lightheadedness or dizziness during the day today afterwards.

I think this is more akin to when they’d make us stand in formation for hours for some useless officer’s retirement ceremony and somebody would hit the deck after locking their knees. Officers! Amiright!

^This is what “building a base” means for me.

Once it cools down this time of year, I still enjoy running but I just don’t have the motivation to do any speed work or tempo runs (plus, it’s always more difficult to go fast with all the extra layers of clothing). So my goal from November to March is to just get out there and keep the total mileage up. That way, when the warmer weather returns I’m not starting over from scratch and I haven’t backslid too far in terms of fitness.
What do u do for speed work?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Usually some combination of a bunch of 100m, 200m, or 400m repeats. Occasionally I like the "Yasso" workout that somebody on here mentioned a few times where it's 10 800m repeats with minimal rest between them.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lunch run

1638833957357.png

In my previous training for cycling, base has referred to long rides at around 50-60% of your max heart rate which is called Zone 2. It's primarily a fat burning pace (rather than glycogen which is your more immediate energy stores for high intensity) and for building muscular endurance. Check out heart rate training if you're interested in more specific zone training, it's definitely key for endurance sports. A lot of people advocate for "sweet spot" Zone 3 training which is around 70% aka tempo which still builds endurance and burns fat but also helps build/maintain your "threshold" which is defined as the maximum output you can maintain for 1 hour. In cycling threshold is important as you need to be able to recover and put out that kind of effort multiple times in a long race e.g. road races with multiple long climbs or long stretches with crosswinds where drafting isn't as effective. Also time trials are rarely longer than an hour so you're constantly toeing the line just above or below your threshold to gauge your effort; you can go slightly under when descending or doing technical parts and go over when hitting short climbs or accelerating out of corners etc.

I'm not as experienced a runner, but I can imagine in a long distance race you're not always running a constant pace if you're trying to stay with the front group due to attacking tactics or terrain, so you go over and under your threshold but are primarily running around 70-80% of your max heart rate so you're still able to recover and be able to kick when you need to without completely blowing up. Base for running is probably more important than cycling since you really need the muscular endurance as in cycling you can draft/coast and lower your heart rate, so running is more akin to time trialing. It's mostly on the climbs and finishes where base helps since the phrase goes "the bigger the base the taller the pyramid"; basically if you have a good base you can build a stronger tempo/threshold.

I did a local annual race ride this past weekend and there were a bunch of local pros and finished top 15. Here's the race portion with my heart rate. My threshold is around 170 BPM now so I'm usually trying to stay in zone 2/3 to be prepared when I need to go up to threshold and over when the group splits and people start to fade and open gaps or going into technical sections where positioning is key to not waste energy.

1638834731694.png

Attachments

• 1638834710445.png
    1638834710445.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did my first 1km intervals session in ages today.

I'm going to keep these short for this month, just 6.6km: 1.3 warm-up, 1km tempo, 1km easy, 1km tempo, 1km easy, 1km tempo, 0.3km warm-down, and my pace aim is 4:30/km (7:15/mile) tempo / 5:30/km (8:52/mile) easy.

It was surprisingly good first time out: 33:22 overall, with an average 4:27/km (7:10/mile) tempo and 5:27/km (8:47/mile) easy.

PS: for those of you who haven't read through the entire thread, I often use 6.6 / 8.6 / 10.6 / 11.6km distances because there is a marked-up 10km road race course that starts about 300m from my front door, and goes 5.5km out and 4.5km back. It makes doing things like km intervals quite convenient

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a rather adversarial relationship with speed work these days. As you get older, speedwork can fight back. But I still end up doing it although usually only when the weather is warm enough that I'm less likely to pull something.

When I'm here in Ontario, I have a mostly flat 1km section of the road course I often use (see above) which I have subdivided into 400m sections. I'll generally do 12 x 400m, or 6 x 800m, or 5 x 1000m, or sometimes a more mixed up selection, with timed breaks in between.

When I'm in Tokyo and doing speedwork with my club there on the track, they tend to a different program every week, e.g.
5 x 1000m
400m, 800m, 1000m, 1200m, 1000m, 800m, 400m
4 x 1000m + 400m pairs (with a very short break in the middle of the pair, longer break between)
1600, 1200, 1000, 800, 400, 400
5k TT

If you access to a track, these kinds of programs are great. Of course you can also reduce the specific distances if you're more interested in sprints in themselves. But for road or trail racing, it doesn't really pay to work on 100 or 200m speed.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
45min on the Peloton yesterday while listening to a company wide call then gym this morning. Upped all lifts by 5lbs this morning and felt great.

Current struggle is the 6lbs I've added recently due to overeating and under running. Sad JBar...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 miles on the local trails, with temps in the low 50s. There was enough light to see without a headlamp. I just used the light for visibility along the short stretch of road.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads