• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my buddy and I did ours, we did it at the high school track and drank a beer after each lap. I think that's the official way but I don't think one necessarily needs to be on a track. If you've got GPS or some quarter mile markers, any place should work.
So 1500m metric mile, 4 lap 1600m mile, or true mile of 1609.34m mile?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I dunno.

Man you guys get technical! I ran from the line by that one bench closest to the tennis courts and around the track until I got back to that same line.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It’s a proper mile. Beer at start, then before each remaining lap.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is "in race booting"?

When my buddy and I did ours, we did it at the high school track and drank a beer after each lap. I think that's the official way but I don't think one necessarily needs to be on a track. If you've got GPS or some quarter mile markers, any place should work.
The first time I heard about a beer mile was when a friend was doing it at Tompkins Square Park in New York City. No idea how they measured the distances, but I assume a lap around the park was of some meaningful distance.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a proper mile. Beer at start, then before each remaining lap.

We did it with a beer after each quarter mile but the way you describe it and having the first beer before you start makes a lot more sense.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We did it with a beer after each quarter mile but the way you describe it and having the first beer before you start makes a lot more sense.

The only time I’ve done something like this was a club picnic for the triathlon club I was part of. Our lap was about 150 yards, so it wasn’t all that bad.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only time I’ve done something like this was a club picnic for the triathlon club I was part of. Our lap was about 150 yards, so it wasn’t all that bad.

I was recently made the "Wellness Coordinator" for my department at work. Maybe I should coordinate a beer mile as my first real official act. Team building and all that...

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my friends and i like to threaten each other with a beer mile every so often. we normally reserve them for big fun events. we do one every year during a lake house weekend. we did one during a wedding weekend too.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New PB on dead lift at 328 lbs. Up 3 lbs from my previous best. I bought some fractional plates because the 5lb jump can be too much sometimes.

Pull didn’t feel too heavy and the bar came off the ground pretty easily. I could’ve attempted more but decided to call it a night and move on to the rest of my leg workout.

Have you tried doing any block pulls? Basically doing pulls from blocks that are 6 to 12 inches high, so that you are starting your lift in the strongest part of your power band over a shorter range of motion. This lets you pull very heavy and you can get some big gains in relatively short time frames.

From some of your other lifts you've posted, especially the olympic lifts, I would expect that you could pretty easily get that dead lift over 400 pounds. Speaking of olympic lifts, you can do block pulls with them as well for the same effect. Start light to acclimate obviously, and then pull hard :)

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried doing any block pulls? Basically doing pulls from blocks that are 6 to 12 inches high, so that you are starting your lift in the strongest part of your power band over a shorter range of motion. This lets you pull very heavy and you can get some big gains in relatively short time frames.

From some of your other lifts you've posted, especially the olympic lifts, I would expect that you could pretty easily get that dead lift over 400 pounds. Speaking of olympic lifts, you can do block pulls with them as well for the same effect. Start light to acclimate obviously, and then pull hard :)
I wish I could do block pulls but I workout at a commercial gym and not specialized performance gym. The gym doesn't have blocks to work from. Once my year subscription is up at 24H Fitness, I might look into joining an olympic weight lifting gym and get real coaching to perfect my technique.

Right now all my gains are from pure strength from working on my midline and pulls and motor neuron recruitment.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One hour on the trainer, 18ish “miles” of mostly sweet spot. 21 minutes at the same power with cadence decreasing by 10 rpm every 3 minutes from 110 rpm, a cooldown, then back up to that same power for 24 minutes, increasing cadence by 10 rpm every 4 minutes starting at 60 rpm. Finally, 1 minute at 133% of threshold. At the end of the second set I could maintain the power, but once it got up to 100 rpm I faltered after about a minute and had to drop my cadence back down. That last minute was supposed to be at 120 rpm, but I ground it out around 85-90.

76ADE0CF-1F8A-48C3-B94C-E7D13AF6088F.jpeg
4AF9B335-76B1-4B25-B8B1-7C2957DE9896.jpeg
B2E9497A-FB3E-4E33-A9B3-87B277236564.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads