• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got in 7.3 miles Saturday then 8.5 miles Sunday with a quick finish. Decided to push it a bit to see how I felt and was feeling good. At some point my watch said I was running at a 5:05/mi pace but am chalking that up to tree cover as I know I wasn't going that fast. May test out my mile pace at some point to see if I can beat my last time.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. As always I appreciate your support, encouragement, and advice. I had a chance to think critically about the whole training block and the race itself. Here's a short summary of what I've come up with. Just reading it through it's obvious how green I am to this.

What went well:
  • Lifetime high mileage of 70/wk. Held for 5 weeks.
  • No injuries or pains. (Gym work & easy day pacing)
  • Motivation & discipline. Very few missed days.
  • Workouts showed marked improvement in both speed and endurance.
What didn't go so well:
  • Training block was too long. ~22wks. I think I peaked a month before the race.
  • Taper was too long. ~4wks. I felt like crap the whole time and I barely ran the last week.
  • Poor hip extension / knee drive. Not enough forward lean.
  • Not enough race-specific speedwork. Specifically long runs. Only one 20 miler.
  • No experience grabbing cups from aid stations. I would spill half the cup and choke on the other half.
  • Sodium/sports drink vs. pure water. Pretty sure that was the cramping culprit. I had salt crystals all over me at the finish.
  • Tangents. I ran an extra 1/2 of a mile.
  • Temperatures over 60f & humidity. You can't control the weather...but I wilt like daisy in warmer temps. Arizona has a 6am start and it should be in the low 40's with 0 humidity.
  • Arriving the day before the race in the evening. No time to settle in and shake out.
@Man with Apple - Awesome to hear! I will be arriving a few days early and staying at the Sheraton so I'm walking distance to the bus pickup. Would love to meet you and fam at the expo or wherever. My wife will be coming with me too.

Would love to meet up. I plan on going bandit and helping pace my wife the second half of the race.

Phoenix was my PR @ 2:51. I loved it. Start weather was high 30s and finished around 50. Nice downhill to start the race. It can get a bit boring going through a few stretches though.

My comments would be that your taper was def too long. I have followed the Hanson’s advanced program for all my races and it has done me well with the 2 week taper. The one catch with Hanson’s is that I think their long runs are too short, so I use another plan for the long run days. You can probably get away with a 3 month training plan given where your fitness level is at.

Also, couple notes on hydration/fuel. I love Maurten. Used it for every race. Drink mix about 2-3 hours before the race and gels during the race. And I only drink water during the race. Just personal things that have worked for me.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New PB on dead lift at 328 lbs. Up 3 lbs from my previous best. I bought some fractional plates because the 5lb jump can be too much sometimes.

Pull didn’t feel too heavy and the bar came off the ground pretty easily. I could’ve attempted more but decided to call it a night and move on to the rest of my leg workout.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
12ish “miles” on the KICKR. Moved my road bike saddle over to see if it would make longer sessions less numbing. Better, I need to adjust the position a bit for the next session.

1635221432528.jpeg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Weights in the morning and a Peloton session last night. I sleep better with an evening workout than if I don't workout. Nothing long or strenuous, just like 20-30min of light to medium effort will do.
I have had a similar experience. A nice sub-threshold ride before dinner corresponds to much better sleeping.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looks like the champ is local to me (Tecumseh, Ontario is right across the border from Detroit). Maybe I should enlist this guy to help me train?

A buddy and I set out to run a beer mile one morning back in May. It took me about 17 minutes and he was a few minutes behind me. We both had bottled beer and that probably slowed us down as it's harder to chug (I was drinking High Life and my buddy had a local hazy or NEIPA IIRC... probably not the best choice for this effort). The article leaves out the all important information about what beer this runner was drinking!

Maybe I should get him to come back out for another beer mile sometime this fall...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the champ is local to me (Tecumseh, Ontario is right across the border from Detroit). Maybe I should enlist this guy to help me train?

A buddy and I set out to run a beer mile one morning back in May. It took me about 17 minutes and he was a few minutes behind me. We both had bottled beer and that probably slowed us down as it's harder to chug (I was drinking High Life and my buddy had a local hazy or NEIPA IIRC... probably not the best choice for this effort). The article leaves out the all important information about what beer this runner was drinking!

Maybe I should get him to come back out for another beer mile sometime this fall...

I would assume they’re using the lightest,
most watered down beer available. Coors Lite?

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 miles this morning. decent pace for still being a bit tight from the weekend. 8:10 average. kinvara 12s are real good. much much better than the 11's i was running in.

i've been having some tightness in my lower ass (i think that's the medical term) on my right side. like right where the hamstring meets the glute. any suggestions on pointed stretching for that area? it's definitely from improving my form and using all the running muscles available (which is good! i had a bunch of injuries for overcompensating with my left side so any improvement even soreness is welcome) and it's not quite something that will keep me from running at any point, i just don't want it to become an issue. maybe a lacrosse ball?

"official" beer miles should be run with at least a 5% ABV beer. we find that budweiser cans work best. my last beer mile was like 14:30, but that was with a penalty lap for in race booting.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the beer mile run on a track where you drink after each lap or is it just 1 mile distance and you drink a beer every quarter mile?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"official" beer miles should be run with at least a 5% ABV beer. we find that budweiser cans work best. my last beer mile was like 14:30, but that was with a penalty lap for in race booting.

What is "in race booting"?

Is the beer mile run on a track where you drink after each lap or is it just 1 mile distance and you drink a beer every quarter mile?

When my buddy and I did ours, we did it at the high school track and drank a beer after each lap. I think that's the official way but I don't think one necessarily needs to be on a track. If you've got GPS or some quarter mile markers, any place should work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads