• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Man with Apple - I'm really glad to hear that the Speed's are proving to be a good fit for you. I think the last and midsole composition works for a broader audience vs. other shoes of that caliber. Saucony did a great job with the 2020 Endorphin line.

Structure makes a lot of sense and maybe I'll have a change of heart after I go at this on my own. Clearly it's working for you. I'm curious, what would you say is the delta in pace between your Tempo and Threshold runs? I'm planning to alternate weeks in the base building phase with shorter Threshold's and longer Tempo's to break things up. You're at the aspirational level of fitness for me and it's helpful to have that benchmark.

@kjb - I'm likely outside the standard deviation for your question, but it really depends on the shoe for me. If I know plated racer isn't going to be my race day choice, but I like it, I'll generally do my long runs in them because of the structure that the plate provides. Particularly when tired, it feels like a little additional stability. This is what became of the Endorphin Pro for me.

Generally I test them out in 2-3 workouts to get a feel for what pace they work best. Vapor/Alphaflys work perfect for me and fit my foot exceptionally well, so I have multiple pair stockpiled. As I get closer to a race I'll wear that shoe exclusively in workouts to make sure I feel super comfortable with it and then wear a separate fresh(er) pair reserved for races only. Once the training pair gets too many miles on it, I shelve it, move the current race day pair down to training, and pull a new shoe off the shelf for races. I don't want more than 50 miles in my racing shoes, preferably around 20.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Structure makes a lot of sense and maybe I'll have a change of heart after I go at this on my own. Clearly it's working for you. I'm curious, what would you say is the delta in pace between your Tempo and Threshold runs? I'm planning to alternate weeks in the base building phase with shorter Threshold's and longer Tempo's to break things up. You're at the aspirational level of fitness for me and it's helpful to have that benchmark.

Using the Hansons Plan, Tuesday speed days I run around 5:25/mile pace. I am thinking right now I could probably keep that pace up for a couple miles. I could probably do a mile around 5:00 and change.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a one use code, but I used this $20 off code today to buy another pair of the Saucony Endorphin Speeds. Also, don't forget the 4% Rakuten moneyback.

Here is the code: G8I-56K-34F-LK9

Best of luck.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got back from Hawaii where I had gone to visit a friend, play golf and get some runs in while watching the sun rise. If you havent seen the sun rise over the mountain in Hawaii, its truly magnificent. Anyway, day 1 run was great and I'm always astonished at how low the humidity is there, especially coming from the armpit that is southern Ohio.

Anyway, I thought I would reward myself with a quick swim in the ocean after my run, and promptly sliced the **** out of the arch of my foot on a lava rock. Thankfully, I was still able to golf without much pain, but running was over and I might not be able to actually run until next week.

Wear those swim shoes!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8.1 trail miles tonight over 2 runs. Warmup 2.7 with 500ft gain. Legs felt a little tired and the temps mixed with dew point made it a wet one.

5.4 group run and finished a little over 51min with 980ft gain. I knew this would be slower and really surprised I was only 1min 30 sec slower than last week. My legs are telling me I need a down week so will likely cut out runs on gym days next week.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was planning to ride today, but got down to the bike room and found my rear tire, that I had fixed last week, had a flat.....

Went back to get my pump to see if it was a slow leak, but the tube wouldn't hold any air. Got the tire off and there was indeed a hole in the tube. Swapped in a new tube, but after 45 minutes of trying I couldn't get the tire back on. Apparently it's tough to get these Gatorskin hard shells back on especially when new. Going to have swing to by the local bike shop to finish the job and will ask them to take a look at the damaged tube and the wheel to see if there is an underlying issue. Strange to have the new tube go bad in less than a week.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
First group ride since March of 2020! Rode BART to Oakland to meet up with the local Major Taylor group. 29 miles total, about 27 of which were new to me. The route went from Lake Merritt, up and over the hill into Redwood Regional Park and back up and over, a bit more than 2700 feet climbed.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a few days off, and no apologies!

Got out this morning before 6am, to do some distance intervals. Today was 1.3km warm up, 2km tempo, 1km easy, 2 km tempo, 0.6km easy, 2km tempo, 1km easy, 2km tempo, 1.3 cool down. Overall: 13.2km (8.2 miles); total tempo: 8km (5 miles).

I was trying to keep it at the pace I wanted today and not sprint, and I managed it: average tempo pace was almost exactly 4:20/km (6:58/mile).

@kjb - on the shoes front, I only use my Endorphin Pros for racing / TTs below marathon distance; and my Carbon-X's, I take out for my longest road run every month, and also for marathons and longer races / TTs. But I can't say this is a rule because I've only recently got both.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was planning to ride today, but got down to the bike room and found my rear tire, that I had fixed last week, had a flat.....

Went back to get my pump to see if it was a slow leak, but the tube wouldn't hold any air. Got the tire off and there was indeed a hole in the tube. Swapped in a new tube, but after 45 minutes of trying I couldn't get the tire back on. Apparently it's tough to get these Gatorskin hard shells back on especially when new. Going to have swing to by the local bike shop to finish the job and will ask them to take a look at the damaged tube and the wheel to see if there is an underlying issue. Strange to have the new tube go bad in less than a week.

i have gatorskins too and agree they are a bit of a bear to put on. if you don't have a tire lever, the 5 bucks to get two of them is totally worth it and makes the job a bit easier.

having a new tube go bad in a week is indeed strange. might have been a pinch (where the tube gets caught between the tire and the rim), so i always try to make sure i triple check the tube is 100% under the tire all the way around before completely inflating. another thing is over inflating, i had issues when i was inflating my tires to the higher end of the PSI range, i cut back 10-15 and things are better now. last thing, combining with the overinflating is i noticed that i used to buy the super cheapo tubes and had consistent problems with them. i started buying stuff that was just a bit more (specialized standard presto valves, like 8 bucks each) and find they hold up much better.

(if you haven't noticed, i've gotten a lot of flats in the past hahaha)

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
14.2 miles this morning at 8:27/mile overall (it was probably really about 15 miles but I forgot to actually start recording on my watch until a few minutes in).

I decided to drive out to a local rail trail for this morning's run. It was cool but muggy and the rain sprinkled lightly on and off throughout my run. It started absolutely pouring about 20 minutes after I finished so I think I timed that right.

The run was pretty good and it was nice to get out to a trail (I need to try to do that at least once a week this summer) but with about 15 minutes left in the run I looked down at something and a red splotch on my shirt caught my eye. I took the shirt off for the rest of the run but of course now I'm wondering how many people I ran past thought I was some bloody-nippled wierdo. I've had bloody nipples on my longer runs a bunch over the past few weeks. I've got to remember to start putting on the Body Glide before I get out there!

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have gatorskins too and agree they are a bit of a bear to put on. if you don't have a tire lever, the 5 bucks to get two of them is totally worth it and makes the job a bit easier.

having a new tube go bad in a week is indeed strange. might have been a pinch (where the tube gets caught between the tire and the rim), so i always try to make sure i triple check the tube is 100% under the tire all the way around before completely inflating. another thing is over inflating, i had issues when i was inflating my tires to the higher end of the PSI range, i cut back 10-15 and things are better now. last thing, combining with the overinflating is i noticed that i used to buy the super cheapo tubes and had consistent problems with them. i started buying stuff that was just a bit more (specialized standard presto valves, like 8 bucks each) and find they hold up much better.

(if you haven't noticed, i've gotten a lot of flats in the past hahaha)
Thanks for the input. I actually do have tire levers (Pedro's) and still can't get them on. It might just be that I don't have the forearm/hand strength to get them on. It was so much easier to do with the Bontrager tire that was damaged last week. I guess it's possible there was a pinch, but the tire was installed by a local bike shop on my way home last week. Definitely will be pumping it to less than maximum after blowing that tube and tire last week.

When I drop by the local bike shop today, I'll have him check the wheel too, but I took a look yesterday when installing the new tube and didn't see anything, but it is odd that the puncture was on the stem side of the tube.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7.3mi, 6:58/mi, 149bpm

Working miles: 6:25, 6:22, 6:23, :37 (6:10 pace) -- 6:23/mi avg or 19:47 5k
Target pace: JD's VDot of no faster than 6:23/mi.

A 5k threshold run sandwiched between 2 miles of warm-up and 2 miles of cool down. Perfect morning temperature wise, low 50's, low dew point, partly cloudy. I do these workouts at the same place for normalizing data. It's a flat 1.9 mile loop with some curves near the river in this wildlife preserve. The fog lifting off the river basin in the early dawn light created a cool ambiance. I was the only one there so I went shirtless to cut down on laundry.

Laced up the new Adidas Adizero Adios Pro 2's...what a mouthful of a name. As a marketer by trade, I'll never fully understand the rationale behind running shoe companies and nonsensically long and difficult to recall names, but I digress. I'll spare you from a long post on my first impressions and these definitely deserve more miles but the first run was promising. Net/Net it's not Vaporfly caliber, but if you're an Adidas fan or their lasts work well for you you're going to be really happy with these.

--

@Man with Apple , I don't follow a daily agenda type plan and maybe that will change as I continue to learn from experience. I have a general framework of dividing training blocks into phases based on what I've read. My approach is Lydiard heavy, but I reference Daniels, McMillian, Tinman, etc. to keep things within ranges. Basically for the next 8-weeks I'll slowly build up to 70-80mpw and adjust/cutback as the body provides feedback with 1 long run and 1 workout per week. Then I'll transition into more marathon-specific work for 4 weeks holding volume with a bigger emphasis on LR pace. Then start to sharpen for ~2 weeks to try an make marathon pace a comfortable jog before a 10-day taper.
Anyone have thoughts about the Adizero Pro shoes?

@Dusty Heaters I assume you have run in these :)

He posted a review here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads