• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw on our local Facebook running page that there is group doing a timed "Time Trial" mile at one of the local high school tracks this coming Saturday night. I'm going to head out to it. This will be my first officially timed event since I believe the fall/winter of 2019 and my first ever real mile time trial.

I'm really interested to see what I can do now... My mile PR was just set last month at 6:13 and I was hovering between about 6:30 and 6:39 for the previous few months before that. I had to send them a time so they could seed me with other runners in the same range so I said 6:30. I was tempted to say 8:00 or something slower so I could hopefully really smoke the others in my heat! :lol:

Really though, it will be considerably different conditions than I am normally used to. 95% of my runs are done early in the morning with minimal stretching or being fueled (I don't want to say I just roll out of bed and lace up my shoes but that wouldn't be too far from the truth). This time trial doesn't begin until 9:00 p.m. at which point I should be pretty limbered up but I'll have to make sure not to overdo it with a couple afternoon beers or a heavy dinner like a normally do on Saturdays.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8.3mi, 8:01/mi, 133bpm

Temps and humidity plummeted overnight to the comfortable zone @Michigan Planner had me dreaming out. Low 60’s, similar dew point, slight breeze. It was pretty great and tomorrow morning is suppose to be even cooler. Pushed the workout just to capitalize on the best conditions of the month.

Found my way to a public track that’s only a bit over two miles from my house and jogged a few miles in lane 6. Man, I haven’t been on a track in what seems like ages. When running 100m strides the grip felt incredible in just road shoes, I’m sure spikes are next level.

For the next 8 weeks or so I’ll just be building volume and elevation slowly with only 1 LT (or slightly slower) session per week. Slightly sad to get away from the vo2 max & anaerobic stuff but sub-3 is priority.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5.8 miles in 7 laps of the neighborhood and 1,200ft. My body feels good running this where normally on this sort of incline I’d walk a bit. Going to try some flat land tomorrow then trails Thursday…by then I may decide to sign up for a race.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 miles on the flat trails with some M pace fartleks. I’m not feeling very motivated by the smoky air. We’re heading out on a road trip tomorrow morning, so hopefully my next run will be in cleaner air. Temps in the mid 70s

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7.3mi, 6:58/mi, 149bpm

Working miles: 6:25, 6:22, 6:23, :37 (6:10 pace) -- 6:23/mi avg or 19:47 5k
Target pace: JD's VDot of no faster than 6:23/mi.

A 5k threshold run sandwiched between 2 miles of warm-up and 2 miles of cool down. Perfect morning temperature wise, low 50's, low dew point, partly cloudy. I do these workouts at the same place for normalizing data. It's a flat 1.9 mile loop with some curves near the river in this wildlife preserve. The fog lifting off the river basin in the early dawn light created a cool ambiance. I was the only one there so I went shirtless to cut down on laundry.

Laced up the new Adidas Adizero Adios Pro 2's...what a mouthful of a name. As a marketer by trade, I'll never fully understand the rationale behind running shoe companies and nonsensically long and difficult to recall names, but I digress. I'll spare you from a long post on my first impressions and these definitely deserve more miles but the first run was promising. Net/Net it's not Vaporfly caliber, but if you're an Adidas fan or their lasts work well for you you're going to be really happy with these.

09A684B0-933E-4E1C-BF34-81AE38D42696.jpeg

--

@Man with Apple , I don't follow a daily agenda type plan and maybe that will change as I continue to learn from experience. I have a general framework of dividing training blocks into phases based on what I've read. My approach is Lydiard heavy, but I reference Daniels, McMillian, Tinman, etc. to keep things within ranges. Basically for the next 8-weeks I'll slowly build up to 70-80mpw and adjust/cutback as the body provides feedback with 1 long run and 1 workout per week. Then I'll transition into more marathon-specific work for 4 weeks holding volume with a bigger emphasis on LR pace. Then start to sharpen for ~2 weeks to try an make marathon pace a comfortable jog before a 10-day taper.

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another not great run last night.

8.54 miles with an average pace of 8:19/minute. Fastest mile at 7:47 and slowest complete mile at 8:45.

Tried running a 10 - 15 second sprint at the beginning of each mile.

Weather was great last night after some rain passed through. Temps in the low 60s. I was just not running well. Just seemed tougher than usual to keep this speed last night.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Track Wednesday with 400-800-1200-1200-800-400 (400 active rest)

there was supposed to be a 1600 in there but I had a stomach situation that cause me to find the bathroom after the first lap of the mile. After that my stomach felt like a balled up fist so I basically just did 2 800s and a 400 and called it. Probably for the best as this workout was a lot longer than I remembered. 4 miles total without the 1600.

Add in the 2.25 mile warm up and cool down and 8.5 on the night.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7.3mi, 8:10/mi, 136 BPM -- Easy Z1 jogging

--

@kjb - We want to know them splits tho

hahaha oh yeah I realized I forgot those. First half i kept conservative, 1:45 / 3:30 / 5:25. Second half I ramped it up partially to push, partially just to get it over with because I felt so bad 5:05 / 3:15 / 1:30

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7.75 miles tempo run for me this morning. Temps in high 60's, cool air, and low humidity. Felt very nice.

1 mile warm up
6 miles tempo marathon pace
0.75 mile cool down

I tend to run these tempo paces faster than my marathon pace, simply to just push myself a little harder. So, the 6 mile tempo portion I was averaging around 6.25/mile with mile 6 clocking in around 6:15. Marathon pace I am looking more in the 6:35-6:45 pace. But who knows, I may be all jacked up on adrenaline at Boston.

Overall pace for the run was 6:41/mile.

@Dusty Heaters Thanks for sharing. I ask about your training bc I personally like a structured plan. Just gives me something easy and straightforward to follow. I follow the Hanson's Training Plan, with one caveat, I do longer long runs. I don't feel comfortable only getting up to 16 miles in training. So, I throw in some 18, 20, and 22 miles runs.

Also, today was my first run in the Saucony Endorphin Speeds that you shared the PSA on. I have run in the Endorphin Pros and like them, although they can feel a bit stiff. I really enjoyed running in the Speeds. Good cushion, just enough pop on the toe off, and seem like they will have decent durability. Nice value just over $100. I am strongly considering running Boston in them, unless I decide to go with the Vaporflys.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9.2 miles this morning with an 8:30/mile pace overall.

I ran a few miles to the campus of a local private school, did a 0.65 mile lap around the lake and then trip up the "Woodchip Hill" and repeated that 3 times. The hill is only 0.1 mile but it's got a nice 11% grade. My first trip up the hills was 42 seconds, followed by 45 seconds, and 47 seconds. Anyof those efforts would have been a PR for me. I do this hill at least once or twice every few weeks but my previous PR was 52s back in May of 2020.

I know my fitness has improved significantly since then but I've run this segment a bunch since then and never beaten that (though I did get 53s just a couple weeks ago). Most of my efforts in the past year have been between about 56s and 65s. I should probably give some credit for today's performance to the fact that a) they just graded the trail and removed all the large loose gravel (contrary to the trail's name, there are no longer any woodchips there and they were all washed away years ago and haven't been replaced) and b) there were a couple youngers guys out there who were doing repeats on the hill and I didn't want to look weak! I was usually starting my sprint up the hill when they were returning back to the bottom but on my final effort I started just a couple seconds behind them.... and then caught them before the top! I would have overtook them but it was very narrow at that spot and I didn't want to be a dick. I wish those guys were using Strava so I could see what their times were or how many repeats they did.

One of these days I'm going to drive to the campus and just do a bunch of repeats on fresh legs instead of running 3 or 4 miles just to get to the hill.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
question - how often do you guys with "supershoes" (next%'s, alphafly's, endorphin pros, adidas adizero adios adulterous advertising adjudicator alanis morissette ) run in them?

i did track last night in my saucony fast twitch, which are basic racing flats, mainly because using my endorphins feels weird unless i'm like actually racing. do you guys use these shoes weekly, longer, or only on race days? just curious

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads