• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
15km (9.33 miles) at easy pace, with temps in the upper 70s to low 80s. I bonked really hard about 3/4 mile from home, and after weighing myself, it’s easy to see why. I lost 6 pounds of water weight out there despite drinking more than a liter.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rest day from running yesterday. Longer than usual dog walk, yard work, and housework netted me over 15k steps.

Today it was pouring when I woke up at 6am for my long run so I went to the gym instead. The past few weeks I’ve been lifting twice a week for about an hour. Feeling stronger already, but still adapting the extra training stimulus. Skies cleared up a few hours later and went out for a jog.
6.5mi, 8:16/mi, 141bpm.

While eating my performance enhancing burritos I read a couple pieces by Wim Hof, an incredible man who has total control over his body’s temperature regulation. One of the things that stuck out was advice on how to stimulate/condition your nervous system for beginners. He cites frequent, small, exposures into the extremes…like an ice bath, cold shower, or sauna. I’ve started finishing my showers with a 30s rinse at as cold as I can get it and spending 15-20 minutes in the sauna. Time will tell if it improved my heat adaptation/performance this summer.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard good things about sauna. Would cause an issue spending an extra 20min at the gym when I’m already rolling into work around 9 on gym days.

Got in 10 miles today on the greenway. Started at 730a and thought my body functions were good. Nope, had to emergency pit stop which was behind a tree through some bushes that made me itchy. Cleaned myself up with water which caused a water shortage issue. Had to run longer to a known fountain but when I got there construction blocked the way. I said f it and checked if the water still worked and I got lucky. Finished up and the itchy bushes were just irritants due to sweat plus plants and nothing more. Great run other than the emergency.

Also, my weight is slowly going down which is good. Should be back to 182 by the end of July.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7 miles with the club on our Saturday morning run. Brutally humid and I had soaked through my shirt and shorts by the time I finished up. Thank god for body glide. 8:35 pace overall which I think is pretty good considering the conditions.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Longest day of the year and it should have been my longest run so far... but I wasn't feeling it. Hamstrings were complaining, and I just felt cold, which was really weird. I did everything right too, in terms of food and drink. Anyway, what should have been 33.5km (20.8 miles) was cut down to 22.6km (just over 14 miles). Pace was 5:41/km (9:09/mile), which was the sort of thing I was aiming for but it felt so... much... slower... today for some reason.

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thursday: Tried to run some fartleks, but it was slower than usual, 8.49 miles at average pace of 8:21. fastest mile at 7:38 and slowest mile at 8:47. Was just not feeling it that day.

Saturday: About 16 miles riding commuting back and forth to league. Played about 10 points during some informal hat team play. Should expect to get more playing time once teams are assigned. I might have pumped my tires too much this morning, as after I got to the fields, my rear tube popped and the pressure must have been so much it looks like it damaged the tire too. With the help of another cyclist/player replaced the tube, but we weren't sure if the tire would hold up to the closest bike shop. Luckily it did, and I got the rear tire replaced with some hardshell Gator Skins. Made the rest of the commute back home and checked with the more local bike shop what I could do about my chain, as it rusted over last year when it was being housed at my brother's garage. He told me it would be more trouble than it was worth to clean it, so we just had it replaced.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a great run for me either today, but I learned some lessons.

12.2mi, 7:39/mi, 147bpm avg

Started off around 6:40am, it was 72F with a 70 dew point — not great but the best I was going to get. Decided not to carry water as I had done this hilly route many times before and had been okay without it. Foolish mistake. Things were great the first 5-6 miles until the urge to poop started to creep in. By mile 8 it was a full blown emergency and I dipped into some trees to blast out a heater. I felt better GI wise but I was raining sweat and was just past the halfway point. A few miles later I noticed that my sweating slowed to what seemed like a complete stop. I got concerned and mentally I started to sketch myself out a bit. Things felt a lot harder, could have been mental but could have been dehydration and didn’t want to chance it. Stopped the watch at 12.2 and walked in the remaining mile and change. A disappointing way to end things. Oh well, when you lose, don’t lose the lesson.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Dusty Heaters

Sweat production stopping is generally a bad thing, unless there’s an obvious external factor (for example, for me yesterday it was turning into a breeze). Heat stroke is not something you want to court on a training run.

Too right - worth looking back to some of my long run posts from last summer where I made this mistake... it was not good.

BTW, like @Dusty Heaters, I've been having the emergency evacuation problem again recently too - it was a regular thing for me back in 2019, and then nothing, but it's happened a couple of times in the last month... I'm not sure what triggers it.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
17 miles on the bike this morning. My longest ride in like 10 years hahaha. What a difference getting out early makes though, much more comfortable without a billion cars around. Beautiful day but hot already.

28F9D046-D3C5-492F-8AFB-1DEA712CAF1D.jpeg

Regarding the tummy troubles (my personal term for that feeling / situation), I find it happens to me a lot around this time of year as well. Could be part of the heat acclimation and maybe the extra strain that come along with it?

Also happy Father’s Day to the dads here!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 mile run with the local running store crew yesterday morning. I also ran about 3 miles to get to the starting point and then 3 miles to get home. On the way home, I checked out a little wood chip trail segment that I noticed the other day. I knew it would a short, steep trail as the road on the other side of it is quite a bit lower than the main road. I have ran and walked past this spot probably thousands of times and there was never a trail there before but it’s on the grounds of the local historical museum and there is a nice grassy hill, and some gardens, and some other trails in the area so I figured the parks department finally decided to just build a little connector trail. Once I got on the little trail I realized it must have been there for years (there were some very well worn wooden steps set into parts of the hill) but they just decided to clean up the entrances on each end. The trail segment is only 0.05 miles but it’s got a nice 13.2% incline. Looking at the stats for the segment on Strava, it looks like all the records were set in the past few weeks, so everybody must have just discovered it.

Today I got in a longer 14 mile run and tried to keep my HR low for the most part. I did 3 miles slow with my HR around 120, then a mile fast, 3 again slow and low, 2 more fast, 3 more slow, then finished with the final 2 fast again. I managed to keep my HR down to 131 across the entire outing (I averaged around 120 bpm for the slow segments and about 155 for the faster segments).

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Fueco & @FlyingMonkey - Appreciate the wisdom and advice. I feel a little better about “pussing out”. Now I’m just disappointed to be too weak to handle the demand. ?

The GI distress was directly related to a poor snack choice before bed…Still don’t regret it. The Buffalo chicken dip soothed my soul.

The more you know.

Last edited:

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6 miles, 8:14/mi, 135bpm -- Z1 jogging

Just downright nasty out there this morning climate wise. 6:30am and it was already ~77F with a 72 dew point...So basically running in a cigar humidor. I would have run shirtless but I smoked a brisket this weekend (36 hour job) and the sodium had he all swollen. On the bright side, I think it's gone now though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads