• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

c0de

Reaction score
No matter what I do, what kind of pace I have, where my HR is, my Garmin ALWAYS says my run is unproductive. I also very rarely wear my Garmin other than when I'm running so I wonder if that makes a difference? Maybe it thinks I never get any rest all.

When you finish your run, how much does it tell you to rest? it might think you're running too much and not waiting enough time to rest..
Also, if you are increasing mileage, it does that too. There's a graph somewhere on their portal that tells you where you should be (per them, and I say they don't know much) based on what seems to be UCL/LCL.. so anytime you're outside those limits, you're un productive.. That's my observation, not fact, so I could be wrong..

Just knocked another 5k out at lunch, leisurely but faster than yesterday. hip flexors are pretty tight as they're "waking up", will roll tonight and skip tomorrow.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've love to try one of those, especially the next%.. but after many years running in Kinvaras (and lately freedom) I am not sure I can go back to high drop (and high stack) shoes.. and I am too cheap to try..

For what it’s worth (if anything), I think you’re making the right call. I would stick with what works best and I don’t think a shoe is going to make you faster...unless it has literal springs in the midsole or something. I feel the benefit by way of delayed fatigue onset. As in, holding a pace that would start to hurt around mile 17 might not set in until mile 19. Speed sessions are a bit easier on my legs and it’s something I notice the next day.

With regard to drop, I’ve found that a higher drop (8mm-10mm) works well for me at marathon pace and faster, where as a lower drop (0mm-6mm for me) feels great at easy and recovery paces. It might have something to do with footfall and cadence.
Shrug.

Garmin has been saying I have been overreaching, so I thought I would run my weekday route at a slower pace yesterday. 8.65 miles last night at an average pace of 8:23 minutes/mile. Unfortunately status changed to unproductive...

Still plan on going for a ride this weekend regardless.
No matter what I do, what kind of pace I have, where my HR is, my Garmin ALWAYS says my run is unproductive. I also very rarely wear my Garmin other than when I'm running so I wonder if that makes a difference? Maybe it thinks I never get any rest all.

The Garmin V02 Max and performance condition algorithm is bogus. Basically if every run isn’t progressively faster and at a lower heart rate it’s going to say your unproductive/detraining. Completely unsustainable and downright dangerous for people who are bought into that output. Even thought I’ve run faster 5k-half marathons in training runs, Garmin still has me predicted to race several minutes slower. I think I’m converting to Coros this summer.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Glad to know I'm not the only one then. It might be right about you never getting rest. Don't you run pretty much every day, sometimes twice? :)

The Garmin V02 Max and performance condition algorithm is bogus. Basically if every run isn’t progressively faster and at a lower heart rate it’s going to say your unproductive/detraining. Completely unsustainable and downright dangerous for people who are bought into that output. Even thought I’ve run faster 5k-half marathons in training runs, Garmin still has me predicted to race several minutes slower. I think I’m converting to Coros this summer.
Oh I forgot that I dropped two VO2 Max points too.

You're right that it does seem to make you think you need to faster and harder with each progressive run.

c0de

Reaction score
I would stick with what works best and I don’t think a shoe is going to make you faster...

That's what I'm doing, I also added a NB Tempo something to my rotation and it's great..
I just look at those Nike shoes (Pegasus and Next%) and I think they are REALLY cool looking and have nice colorways, so want to run in them for vanity

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm doing, I also added a NB Tempo something to my rotation and it's great..
I just look at those Nike shoes (Pegasus and Next%) and I think they are REALLY cool looking and have nice colorways, so want to run in them for vanity

Colorways and vanity definitely play a part in it for me as well. The brighter the shoe and the more colors it has, the better! I even have a pair of ASICS that are geared towards triathlons primarily because I liked the colors so much (in my defense, they did have good reviews for non-triathlon running as well):

1621021918516.jpeg

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a pair of Pegasus 36 waiting to get rotated in once I retire something from my current rota.

I actually think the Next% look a bit odd and assume that it's function over form on those.

c0de

Reaction score
I've got a pair of Pegasus 36 waiting to get rotated in once I retire something from my current rota.

I actually think the Next% look a bit odd and assume that it's function over form on those.

Weirdly, that's what's attracting me to the design, they're just strange looking!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like the colors on the Vaporfly Next% but agree that they do look odd, especially when looking down at them from above. One of the complaints with the first generation (the ones I posted yesterday) was that the uppers fit sloppily. I would agree with that assessment - I could definitely see the uppers flaring out on mine but it didn’t seem to cause any slippage or discomfort for me. Supposed they fixed the sloppiness on the new release but the shape looks about the same.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10.6km early this morning, again easy pace with no timing, but I'm guessing sort of 5:15ish//km. Nothing bad happened. Longer tomorrow.

PS: I 'accidentally' kept my Hoka One One Carbon-X's longer than the 30-day return period so it looks like I will have to keep them. Oh dear. I have scheduled a 25km test run for the end of this month (assuming my recovery is still going well at that time).

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7.5 easy on Thursday after the hills on Wednesday. My legs felt like lead for 6 of those and then just completely lifted off the last mile and a half.

4.5 today with stroller and daughter before her tap class.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was browsing RaceSignup to get a sense of when live races were resuming and was surprised to find a 5/10k going on this weekend not too far from me. They still had room so I figured why not jump in, it’s been forever. I haven’t been training with any specificity the past 2 months or so. Mostly ‘easy’ or zone 2 running, a long run of 12-16mi, and maybe some wimpy ‘workouts’ like a 20-minute tempo run or 5x 2:00 on/off fartleks.

Anyway to my surprise, it was a beautiful and really well done event. Everyone involved was pure class and personable. Nice sunny day, families were out just having a good time and all without masks...it was a glorious flashback of better days. (Disclaimer: Ohio has had vaccines available to all since late March. We’re actually incentivizing the reluctant with a chance for 5 people to win $1MM each if they come in for a free vax.)

TL;DR: I ended up 3rd overall with a 39:47 and kinda sandbagged it. Lots of learning took place though and it was a solid first ever 10k.

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9 miles this morning with four 7 minute threshold segments and 14 minutes of easy jogging between them. I managed to keep all the threshold segments below 7:00/mile with the first two closer to 6:20/mile.

I was browsing RaceSignup to get a sense of when live races were resuming and was surprised to find a 5/10k going on this weekend not too far from me. They still had room so I figured why not jump in, it’s been forever. I haven’t been training with any specificity the past 2 months or so. Mostly ‘easy’ or zone 2 running, a long run of 12-16mi, and maybe some wimpy ‘workouts’ like a 20-minute tempo run or 5x 2:00 on/off fartleks.

Anyway to my surprise, it was a beautiful and really well done event. Everyone involved was pure class and personable. Nice sunny day, families were out just having a good time and all without masks...it was a glorious flashback of better days. (Disclaimer: Ohio has had vaccines available to all since late March. We’re actually incentivizing the reluctant with a chance for 5 people to win $1MM each if they come in for a free vax.)

TL;DR: I ended up 3rd overall with a 39:37 and kinda sandbagged it. Lots of learning took place though and it was a solid first ever 10k.

I know in-person races have been slowly returning here in Metro Detroit but so far most of them have been way out in the sticks and I can’t justify driving an hour for a 40 minute run. I’m keeping an eye out for something closer though because I’m ready to get back out there with other runners

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads