• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6.8 miles this morning. My motivation was a number on the scale I did not want to see. I didn't really pay attention to what I ate last week and Friday - Sunday were pretty food heavy. Shouldn't be too hard to get back down, just more focus and staying away from the gummie bears.

Am I the only one that laughs at those idiots that rotate their hands in/elbows out to make their triceps pop as much as possible? It's a pretty useless way to hold the bars but I notice a fair number of guys like to do this.

Like when they stand or while working out? I am and will always be a weights n00b so could be doing this without knowing it.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am and will always be a weights n00b so could be doing this without knowing it.
Me too. I don't even know which exercise he's referring to. I only started doing light weightlifting in my late 30s.

Yesterday, I tried to keep it light by running my weekday route and not an extended weekend run, as my second to last and third to last runs were not great. 8.71 miles in 1:05. My watch indicated lap 5 was at 6:29, but I'm a bit dubious on that as it didn't feel that quick. If true though it would be a personal record for a mile.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me too. I don't even know which exercise he's referring to. I only started doing light weightlifting in my late 30s.

Yesterday, I tried to keep it light by running my weekday route and not an extended weekend run, as my second to last and third to last runs were not great. 8.71 miles in 1:05. My watch indicated lap 5 was at 6:29, but I'm a bit dubious on that as it didn't feel that quick. If true though it would be a personal record for a mile.

Based on what you post in this thread, I'm sure you could get a 6:29/mi flat out if not quicker since your long runs are 10+ and in the 8s for a mile. Now, throwing a 6:29 mid-run is another story :)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever noticed this. Is there a chance that you are over-interpreting this behavior?

Yesterday I tried holding my bars that way. No, I think I'm correct.

To be clear, this isn't a weight lifting motion, but how some cyclists are holding their handlebars. It sort of resembles a bulldog's stance for it's front legs.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on what you post in this thread, I'm sure you could get a 6:29/mi flat out if not quicker since your long runs are 10+ and in the 8s for a mile. Now, throwing a 6:29 mid-run is another story :)

6:29 for a mile flat out Is totally reasonable. That’s my fastest in the past ten years, not that I’ve tried to go all out for one.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6.3 miles this morning and the 6.3 miles at lunch along the same route, but in reverse. I managed the exact same pace for both runs: 7:57/mile. Consistency!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

To be clear, this isn't a weight lifting motion, but how some cyclists are holding their handlebars. It sort of resembles a bulldog's stance for it's front legs.
I got nothin', man. The only time I see people in a position even remotely like what you're describing is when they're getting after it in the drops. Maybe there's something in the water out your way? :)

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
32 minute jog about 3.2 miles. It was hot as **** with temps close to 90 degrees F. I weigh myself before and after each run and I normally lose about 2lbs to 2.2lbs after each run. Today I lost 3lbs after the run.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never ridden on a bike with drops before so not really that familiar, but seems like either way it would be more aero to hold your elbows and arms closer to your body.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you go low enough, your elbows can only go out... :)

1620708264656.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads