• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know in some races, pacers are sort of "employed" by the race organizer, but I imagine there are plenty of cases where clubs or running stores or somebody pays for a pacer and just registers them as a general participant. It probably comes down to the particulars of each specific race. Every marathon I've been in, the pacers I ran with (when I'd run with the pace groups), always had number bibs just like everybody else. To me, that sounds like just a regular participant.

One big caveat:I never plan on coming anywhere near the front of the pack for a half or full marathon so I really don't care how any of this shakes out.

I don't know what I find more impressive: this guy's pace or his chutzpah!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about pacers. Are they officially registered "participants" of the race they are pacing in?

It depends on the race. Some of the big meets and races employ rabbits/pacers in the hope that records will fall. Those are paid positions and are likely not allowed to win under the terms of their contracts.

Many races have pacers that are part of the local running community/club. Those are volunteers and may have just done it for fun and a free race entry (back whenI was part of a tri club, the local races would give volunteers (including pacers) a free entry into another event.

I assume in this case, the former is closer to this pacers role. But if his contract didn’t specify that he couldn’t race to win? ??‍♂️

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My legs finally felt good enough to get out of an easy-ish run today, and I'm glad I gave them the extra days because rather than just really okay, I actually felt good today, good enough, in fact, that I think I am going to have a go at my half-marathon TT the day after tomorrow. I don't really have many days left to post a time. And I can always just stop if I'm not feeling it (or just go for 10k - I haven't done that bit of my 5k / 10k / half challenge yet either).

Anyway today was 11.6km (about 7 1/4 miles) in a comfortable 0:57:51, or 4:59/km (8:00/mile).

On the pacer who won the race, I think it's important to note that he did his job (i.e. he paced the fast men to the 17 mile mark), before he decided to keep going. The fast runners he had been pacing should have beaten him, and they couldn't. Too bad for them. Pretty incredible achievement for him.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nine and a bit. Needed to pick up something from the office, so I got to do my old commute.

1619578433670.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
60 minutes on the trainer last night. This was extra fun since I had a slight fever and body aches from the vaccine the day before. I feel just about normal this morning, two days after the second dose.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did two seperate 5ks at the track this morning. The first at 6:59/mile, then I took about a 5 minute break to stretch and walk a bit and then ran the second 5k at 6:58/mile. I was glad to be able to shave that second off with such minimal rest. I haven't gotten a 10k below 7:00/mile (7:12 is my current PR) but maybe there's hope.

All that said, my knees are killing me now. Usually when I go to the track and try to be fast, I'm wearing my Skechers GoRun or a pair of Nike FlyKnit. Today I decided to wear a pair of ASICS Gel Nimbus. I've never been particular fast in these shoes and they've always felt a little heavier than a lot of the others I've mentioned and I usually use these for longer runs. I think they might be behind a lot of the knee pain I'm feeling this afternoon.

I got to the track just before 5:30 a.m. and usually the track and the parking lot are empty that early. Today however there were six tractor trailers idling in a line, some portable lights set up, and a bunch of forklifts moving around the lot unloading pallets of mulch from the trucks. When I ran around the corner of the school and passed through the little wooded area into the parking lot it reminded me of the scene in Apocalypse Now where their boat rounds a corner in the Nùng in the middle of the night and pulls into the bustling supply depot in the middle of the night.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
60min on the Peloton last night then 7.3 miles at lunch today. It rained more than I thought so I had quite a few puddles to run through. Heavy wet shoes are never fun.

Also, my newer LuluLemon shorts are wearing out so ordered some Tracksmith shorts to try out. You really go down a hole with them as I am replacing 2 pairs so you are in for a minimum of $11X. Next you see the free singlet offer @ $150 and the next thing you know you are ordering more than you wanted to. Unless these wear out incredibly fast, I should be set on shorts for a couple of years.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
60min on the Peloton last night then 7.3 miles at lunch today. It rained more than I thought so I had quite a few puddles to run through. Heavy wet shoes are never fun.

Also, my newer LuluLemon shorts are wearing out so ordered some Tracksmith shorts to try out. You really go down a hole with them as I am replacing 2 pairs so you are in for a minimum of $11X. Next you see the free singlet offer @ $150 and the next thing you know you are ordering more than you wanted to. Unless these wear out incredibly fast, I should be set on shorts for a couple of years.

You'll have to let us know how the singlet is. I haven't tried one but I've been tempted. I am also really tempted by their polos and rugby shirts, though I don't know that I'd actually run in one.

As for the shorts, they definitely look nice (hey, this is StyleForum after all) but I've found them to be sort of hit or miss. My biggest gripes are the elastic isn't all that great and the material on the Van Cortland shorts can hold on to a lot of moisture... but the Van Cortlands are very soft and comfortable but they might not be the best for somebody who sweats a ton (like I do). The Session shorts on the other hand are great! The material isn't as soft as the Van Cortland, but I think it's better for for actual running usage.

I wanted to buy some more shorts from RaceReady this spring but they have had nothing in stock in my sizes for months and it looks like their website (and social media accounts) haven't been updated in a very very long time. I fear they are no longer a going concern. :(

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ten Thousand finally restocked a lot of their stuff so I bought a pack of their 5 inch Session Shorts with a liner. I've normally been using the 7 inch Session Shorts but felt those were too long when I would run in them.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered 2 pairs of Session shorts and 1 Twilight. I sized up based on DH assessment last year. The singlet is the Van Cortland but I've never worn singlets so it will be interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics