• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yoga + strength + 12 “miles”

1618381474263.jpeg

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5.5 miles DNF run last night. a big rain system was coming in and the pressure change gave me a pretty bad headache last night. tried to burn it off by running, which sometimes works, but this time it didn't. had to stop a few times to give my body a break after getting a bit light headed and then finally stopped at my friends place because i couldn't do the last mile home. oh well, i feel better today now that the system is actually here so we go again tonight.

jacob gallagher wrote about fancy running gear in the WSJ. i wish his stuff wasn't paywalled, i really like him as a writer.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8.3 miles this morning at 8:11/mile pace. I wanted to go for 10 but laid in bed for an extra hour so there's that. After temps in the 80s during the day last week and morning temps in the 50s, I saw some snowflakes on my run today. :freeze:

The best part of the run was passing two women out on a walk and one of them was carrying a cup of some sort of mocha/coffee drink and even from about 10 feet away, it smelled so good. Good enough that I wanted to circle back around so I could get another whiff! She must have just ground the beans in her kitchen and stepped right out the door or something!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
60 minutes of the trainer last night. My Di2 battery crapped out during the ride, so I was stuck in an easy gear most of the time. This mornjng, I bouldered at the gym for 30 minutes, with problems up to V4.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
To the thoughts of overtraining...can't remember if I posted this when it happened.

Through December I had been lifting in beast mode. I mean, this old man added 30-40# workout weight to his benches. In early January I noticed a sore xiphoid process (the bump at the bottom of your sternum.) I mean, when a cat was sprawled across my chest, it hurt. I did a little research and found out lifting too heavy will cause this.

Who the hell would have thought that could happen?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the thoughts of overtraining...can't remember if I posted this when it happened.

Through December I had been lifting in beast mode. I mean, this old man added 30-40# workout weight to his benches. In early January I noticed a sore xiphoid process (the bump at the bottom of your sternum.) I mean, when a cat was sprawled across my chest, it hurt. I did a little research and found out lifting too heavy will cause this.

I’ve had that too. Fun, right? Especially when you have two kids constantly trying to sit, and jump, on you.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Go slower on progressive overloading on weights. I'd suggest buying some fractional plates so you can slowly progressive overload.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be back in the gym in a couple weeks since I am fully vaccinated. Doubt I will have a sore whatever the hell you are talking about.

7.3 miles this morning with maybe 10 intervals thrown in? I started my watch early as it was taking too much time to find a signal so my quarter mile increments were screwed up. I know most of the start/stop points based on landmarks and wanted to keep those. Total time for today was 52:36 which blows my old best of just under 55min out of the water but I focused on finishing strong this time.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
double yesterday.

2 miles in the afternoon to deliver some lunch to a very busy GF.

6 miles at night with the newly reactivated club runs. only me and two others on a wet evening but it was nice to do normal things again.

easy short 5 mile bike ride today as the legs are feeling a bit tired.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
10 “miles” yesterday. I think my tolerance for discomfort is increasing. The last time I did this workout, I really struggled, but this time I was able to shut off the quit thoughts and grind through it. I did pause after the first set to stretch out my (I think) vastus lateralis.
1618588386262.jpeg

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think my tolerance for discomfort is increasing. The last time I did this workout, I really struggled, but this time I was able to shut off the quit thoughts and grind through it.

this is the one thing i've really lost over the past year plus. with no consistent workouts or actual races in 2020, my mental edge for getting through really tough segments has dulled a lot. i'm working on this more by either doing a hill or track workouts and setting reasonable goals for myself to build back up, but i've definitely noticed when things get hard i'm much more content to ease off instead of push through. i'm trying to change that now.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am still trying to translate this consistently to my outdoor efforts. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads