• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10.5 miles this morning at 8:31/mile overall.

The first 3 miles were nice and relaxed around 9:10/mile and after that I alternated miles slightly between about 7:45/mile and 8:20/mile. Temps were in the mid 50s (it already up to about 75º here in Metro Detroit today) and it felt great. It's supposed to stay nice like this through the rest of the week before cooling back down to our more normal blah-like spring temps in the weekend and into next week.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mid-week easy run, as usual 13.2km (8 1/4 miles). As with yesterday I tried to stick with my pace targets, stay consistent and not run too fast. And again, that's what I did: 1:08:29 total, which is 5:11/km (8:20/mile), and my out and back legs were almost identical.

It was really hot for this time of year, 21ºC (70ºF), which seems a bit unfair, because we've gone from basically freezing to early summer without any of the spring temperatures which are my favoured running conditions. Let's hope things settle down in the next few weeks.

On the plus side, I had a package from Saucony... and those Endorphin Pros are so sweet. I got them 20% off for some reason - just one colourway was reduced for just a few days and it didn't even say it was a sale or reduction anywhere. I certainly don't think I'll be returning them in fact I can't wait to try them out in my 10k TT next week, so I guess the box from Hoka One One will go straight back unopened. I also picked up a pair of Guide 13s, which were on a deep reduction (I guess because the new version has just come out). They should be perfect for my long runs, as they get even longer from here on until July.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8.5 miles this morning at an overall pace of 7:55/mile. I worked 11 800m repeats in there (I meant to do 10 but did them along a new route and lost count) and averaged about 7:25/mile across those segments.

Temps were warm again this morning but my body felt a bit more ready for it. I agree with FM in that the typical spring temps are my favored conditions for running in. It's sort of amazing that even when I think I'm in a pretty good physical condition, my body still needs that transition to acclimate.

When I was transferred from Camp Lejeune, NC to Okinawa, Japan the Marines gave us 2 or 3 weeks to acclimate to the subtropical conditions before we were required to participate in organized physical training. As a young 18-year-old, I thought I was invincible and didn't need any of that. As a 42-year-old I think if I suddenly moved back to Oki today I'd collapse in a sweaty heap if I immediately went out to run a couple miles. :eek2:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got in 5.5 miles yesterday afternoon in 4 laps around the neighborhood. It was a lot easier running midday versus after dinner so I may try to sneak out for more as work permits this summer. For it being sunny and near 80, it wasn't bad to run in and a spring shower has cooled things off for today. Our forecast looks to cool off into the weekend and maybe next week so spring may still be around versus directly into summer conditions.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30 minutes of bouldering at the gym this morning. My regular climbing partner is planning to return to climbing in the next week or two (after a year of isolating), so I’m looking forward to leading and toproping again.

Last edited:

kaizerpi

Reaction score
Back on the bike with this wonderful spring weather! Jersey fits a little tighter than the last time I wore it in the fall.
1617899353179.png

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So things were certainly better today. It was hot again, but hot is fine for a shorter TT. And I thought 'why wait?' to try out the Endorphin Pro's...

So I did all the dynamic stretching and warm-up first just like for a real race. And that's when I started to notice that these shoes are not like other shoes. Basically, you can't really run very slowly in them. You can walk - that's fine, but as soon as you start running you find they are kind of pushing you forward. But it doesn't feel hard to run a little faster than you usually do for any given 'pace'. Other than that, I didn't feel like The Flash or anything - these just seemed like super comfortable, well-fitting and well-designed shoes.

But then I started off on the 5k. I had chosen what seemed to be a pretty flat route, and I noted the wind today would be against me going out and with me on the return - I could have chosen a route that was with the wind all the way, but that seemed like cheating. I tend to run 5ks by going out as hard as I can and holding on, whereas 10k races are much more about calculation. I always feel like I'm at the edge of failure and dropping out in 5ks, so I always hate them, but also secretly love them!

In practice the outward leg felt much harder than I had thought against the wind, and I convinced myself that the shoes weren't actually so great and that I'd never get anywhere near my optimistic target of 20:00. However at the turn, I couldn't quite believe I was on 09:40. With the wind behind me, it didn't feel too tough on the way back, but I still felt I was slowing right down to way under 4:00/km. But again, when I got back to the finish line, I was shocked to see the time was 19:24 (average pace: 3:53/km or 6:15/mile). So my return leg was only a tiny bit slower than my outbound leg.

So that was well under my optimistic target, and in fact that's a full 26 seconds quicker than the equivalent TT I did last year. Age-graded, that's 74.81%, almost at my 75% target. I don't think it was just about the shoes, because I am much stronger and fitter than this time last year, but they certainly helped. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the 10k and Half-marathon installments of this challenge go now!

Last edited:

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8.5 miles yesterday with an average pace of 7:51/mile.

Also warmer here in the northeast, 66 F when it's supposed to be 10 - 15 degrees cooler. Already not enjoying the warmer weather, at least while I'm running.

Outfit and a shot with one of the blooming cherry blossoms on the return leg.

How is running with a mask? I tried running with one once and could not handle it.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is running with a mask? I tried running with one once and could not handle it.
I've gotten used to it. I think it depends on what kind you try to run with. The one I'm wearing is made from two layers of jersey cotton and it's definitely doable.

I tried one time with my dressier ones made from shirting material and I couldn't do it, but even with those, it depends on the shirting it's made from.

If it gets wet from rain that also makes it very hard.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've gotten used to it. I think it depends on what kind you try to run with. The one I'm wearing is made from two layers of jersey cotton and it's definitely doable.

I tried one time with my dressier ones made from shirting material and I couldn't do it, but even with those, it depends on the shirting it's made from.

If it gets wet from rain that also makes it very hard.

That sounds about the same breathability as the doubled over Buff I run with. My only issue is the humidity it forces on me leading to congestion.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds about the same breathability as the doubled over Buff I run with. My only issue is the humidity it forces on me leading to congestion.
Not sure which version you have, but I have a standard Buff I picked up a few years ago in Iceland and I think the double jersey cotton is probably a little thicker than the Buff.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure which version you have, but I have a standard Buff I picked up a few years ago in Iceland and I think the double jersey cotton is probably a little thicker than the Buff.

I seem to recall that mine is the standard Buff. I only use it for running outside, so I’m not overly worried about slightly higher risk of viral transmission.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome run FM! Great time as your paces have been very strong this year.

I got in 6.9 miles last night around the neighborhood. Even though it was after dinner, I was only about 3min slower than my target 1hr when picking up the pace. Good evening of running and happy to report there was enough light out to not need a headlamp to finish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads