• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3.5 miles easy today at 8:30 pace.

I started running in college, sophomore year, so 2005. I had a friend who did cross country in high school and would run from campus to the fraternity house (about 8 or 9 miles). I thought that was insanely far but really cool and so I talked with him a bunch about it and he got me interested and did a bunch of runs with me (like maybe 3 miles or less) when I first started out. I just kinda went on from there.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
12-ish “miles” between an opener workout and intervals just under VO2 max, then a shoulder stability workout. The escalating power and cadence at the beginning of opener workout was truly kicking ****** after yesterday’s ride (it was supposed to be a rest day). The intervals started at low cadence, then bumped up the power and spiked the cadence for the second half of each interval. I hated it.

I started running in March 2009. I joined a gym, and they kicked you off with a couple of personal training sessions. The trainer had me run on the treadmill for a few minutes to warm up before doing the circuit workout. After doing that workout for a while, I started adding time on the treadmill until a runner friend persuaded me to try running outside. From that day on, the treadmill was a poor substitute for me. I ran my first 10k in October of that year.
1BE4515E-7F33-4186-AD61-07875DAC9801.jpeg
AEE53F20-2068-4DAE-914F-EA14C287BCE9.jpeg

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6.5 miles this morning at 8:30 pace with a friend from the club. decided to do a run this morning as the weather is looking suspect tomorrow. mid 30s but incredibly humid so my hat and top were sweat soaked but my legs were ice cold in shorts. no way to dress for this haha.

i picked up a new running beanie from ciele (i really really like their stuff) and was very impressed. the last version of their beanie was mostly merino wool, which was very comfortable but also incredibly warm, almost too warm.

the new version they have is recycled polyester, which still feels warm but doesn't feel like it traps as much heat leaving me slightly less soaked by the end of my run. the main reason why i picked it up is it's double lined, so it's completely reversible, which helps for a sweaty mess like myself once the runs over or if i start to catch a chill during.

they have a hi-viz verison (the one i picked up, because you can never be too seen) https://cieleathletics.com/shop/cr2beanie-spectro/

or something with more muted colors https://cieleathletics.com/shop/cr2beanie-wallace-lake/

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ My current beanie is one I've been using a few years and it's getting to the point that the funk just will not wash out so maybe I'll give Ciele a try. I like your description that they are double lined and reversible because like you, I become a sweaty mess so being able to reverse it during a long run sounds like a nice bonus.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ My current beanie is one I've been using a few years and it's getting to the point that the funk just will not wash out so maybe I'll give Ciele a try. I like your description that they are double lined and reversible because like you, I become a sweaty mess so being able to reverse it during a long run sounds like a nice bonus.

Can’t recommend Ciele enough. They make very nice running-specific headwear.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
First non-solo ride since I got back to this. I think we're about evenly matched at this time in terms of engine but my bike is superior for road/paved multi-use trails. He has a gorgeous Stigmata from Santa Cruz built out with top of the line SRAM. He's running 2" tires with small knobbies so obviously, if we're about even physically, I smoked him on flat and downhill sections. We did 30 together and our average speed was 15.2 which is faster than I'd have gone by myself. More stops though to chat. I'd forgotten how the miles flow when you have someone(s) to chat with.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
24 "miles" this evening. Longest trainer ride so far, and I had to be mindful of standing to pedal occasionally to restore blood flow to my gentleman's region. I saw that someone did the Festive 500 in one go on a trainer. I can't imagine doing even 20% of that. I watched Enola Holmes to pass the time. On the five-zone scale, I'd say it's at the top of zone 3.

IMG_8918.jpg

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
16 miles, 7:33avg pace, 144bpm.

Not the best run, but even the worst are still good enough.

Tried out Maurten 160 mix and the non-caf gel. The gel was like a mildly sugar-sweet semisolid jelly and the drink similar in taste. Coming from Tailwind and Gu, I’m not sure I noticed much of a difference...and I certainly didn’t prefer the taste. Have a sampler box to get through, we’ll see.

31A68719-2147-44C8-8582-897DBB81BC99.jpeg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just started using the SIS isotonic gels after being pretty devoted to Clif Shot Bloks back to when I was running. The carb density isn't as high, but they go down easy. I've also been using Hammer Nutrition's HEED in one of my bottles.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another rec for the SIS gels. GU used to royally screw up my stomach, SIS gels are larger but much easier for me to handle.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm full GU for my line up. Use the Roctane Ultra Endurance powder in my bidons at half strength (one scoop vs. the label's two scoops) then keep a couple gels in my cycling EDC and bring along a GU stroopwafel if the planned route is over 35 miles. I only tap into a gel or waffle about 50% of the time on the longer rides.

Looks like rain Tues-Thurs here and my wife is off for MLK Day tomorrow so this might be a low mileage week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics