• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got in 6.8 miles last night in the neighborhood. The only revelation is that hills are getting easier to run. I can run every step of the 1,000ft of gain in the neighborhood and during my trail runs I run up most hills until the angle gets too steep or I realize I need to back it off as I have more to run. I finally looked where my race is and it is further into Georgia than I realize so an extra 2.5hrs in the car more than a normal Chattanooga trail race.

My lodging options are hotels 30min away or car camping. Race starts at 630a so I need to figure this out soon. Planned too late to get a cabin room.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
11.2 miles this morning at an 8:39/mile pace. Temps were in the upper 30s/low 40s but it didn't feel quite that chilly today. I saw a ton of deer on my run and even a couple coyotes today.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High winds still but no snow and it is a bit warmer again. I did some of my 1.4km XC hill repeat laps. As promised I increased the number this week but just from 4 to 5 laps - so a total of 7km (4 1/3 miles).

The first lap is always the slowest and today it was 6:14 so I thought I would do okay. However I was surprised that the second lap was under 6:00 and so it continued with 6:03, 6:00 and 6:01, for an average of 6:03/lap or 4:20/km (6:58/mile).

I felt like I was running steady but that's almost my tempo pace for that distance (4:17 - 4:18) and it's mostly cross-country - although I don't think this makes me slower: it reminds me of mountain bike racing, finding that line and just keeping the speed even though you're always on the edge of control. It's weird. All this last year and a half since I really started training properly again I've been trying to push myself to run longer rather than faster, and I still find myself most comfortable running fast at 5-10km.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10.5 miles at a relaxed 9:06/mile pace.

I discovered a very short wood chip trail I never knew existed in the area. You can sort of see a set of stairs coming off the sidewalk in this picture:
1603980212239.png

I've ran, walked, and driven past those stairs probably 1,000x in the past decade but never ventured up them and I think I just imagined they went into somebody's backyard. I decided to run up the stairs this morning and found they took me along the side of the railroad tracks and to the end of a dead end street that run parallel to the main road.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10k this evening in some dreadful conditions. 50F (but feels like 40F) with rain and a 20mph sustained north wind. this was a mental battle as i could have copped out and only done a 4 mile loop with the wind at my back almost the entire way. instead, stuck it out for the full distance, into the wind on the middle 2.5 miles. happy with myself for sticking with it. 8:20 pace average.

the hot hot shower after was exceptional.

after pic

48B3BF76-8A59-419B-901E-4D0962F7AAA2.jpeg

windbreaker shell
merino base layer
half tights (these are really awesome)
old ass kinvaras

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
windbreaker shell
merino base layer
half tights (these are really awesome)
old ass kinvaras

I always wear half-tights never shorts (until it gets cool enough and then it's 3/4 and then full tights).

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeez, at 50 degrees out?

I walked the dogs with my oldest son earlier. It was 50 degrees. I wore a short, T-shirt and sandals. I hate summertime...

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 miles last night in the rain as well. Went to the paved path so it was pancake flat. Due to the rain and temps in the 40s, I didn't want to risk getting too cold so I wore shorts, long-sleeved shirt, and rain jacket. I ended up a little warm so probably should have worn short sleeves.

I ran with a head lamp last night which provided 2 interesting observations. First is that with the head lamp on, I felt like I was in my own bubble as the light caught a lot of the rain drops so visibility was very short in range. When I turned off the head lamp, I could see well enough that it provided a different experience. Also since it was raining, the cloud ceiling was low and the sky was lit up by the reflection of various lights in the area.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always wear half-tights never shorts (until it gets cool enough and then it's 3/4 and then full tights).

this is my first pair and i really dig them. material is a bit took thick to wear during the summers here though but they work well in the fall, and probably early winter and spring would be perfect for them. i'll probably pick up a second pair at some point.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8.1 miles this morning with 10 800m intervals at the track. My slowest were my first and second intervals at 3:51 and 3:50, respectively and my fastest were in the middle of my set at 3:29 and 3:26. I also noticed our first snowflakes of the season while I was out on my run this morning, but nothing near enough for there to be any accumulation.

I ran with a head lamp last night which provided 2 interesting observations. First is that with the head lamp on, I felt like I was in my own bubble as the light caught a lot of the rain drops so visibility was very short in range. When I turned off the head lamp, I could see well enough that it provided a different experience. Also since it was raining, the cloud ceiling was low and the sky was lit up by the reflection of various lights in the area.

Running with a headlamp is sort of a pain when it's raining or snowing particularly hard, but it beats the alternative of being run over by a car!

When it's snowing particularly hard I usually will run with my headlamp off and only turn it on when I notice a vehicle approaching. That way I'm not always getting the light bouncing around on the snow flakes, which is distracting and hurts my eyes. I might ask my wife for one of those LED light up vests for my birthday this year. That might be a nice alternative to the headlamp, especially on those days.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is my first pair and i really dig them. material is a bit took thick to wear during the summers here though but they work well in the fall, and probably early winter and spring would be perfect for them. i'll probably pick up a second pair at some point.

I have two - the first are 3-season wearable - the others are specifically sprinter's half-tights, so much thinner and not really suitable for longer runs except in summer.

Reactions: kjb

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting down towards freezing, but sunny late this afternoon, I went out for a 14.6km (just over 9 mile) easy run, although it turned out to be little bit faster than intended, don't know why: 1:13:54, that's 5:04/km (8:10/mile).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads