• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tonight I did 4 of my XC hill repeat laps: I'm supposed to be running these at steady pace, which for 5.6km (3 1/2 miles) for me, is 4:25/km (7:06/mile). I guess I should adjust this by about 10% to take account of it being XC but I can't be bothered!

Anyway, last week I wasn't anywhere near, but today I ran my laps 6:15, 6:05, 6:11 and 6:15, for a total of 24:46, which is exactly 4:25. And I felt really strong.

So from next week, I'm going to add a couple of extra laps.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6 miles last night with the club, 8:10 average pace. Legs were a bit tired from Monday but this did not feel like I was pushing myself.

Strangely enough my cadence was off. Normally I’m around 170 spm (at least according to my watch) but last night was around 160. Didn’t feel any different but maybe I was more tired than I thought...

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What shoes am I using right now? (with some comments)

Everyday trainer / mid-range easy runs (blacktop and gravel): Reebok Forever Floatride Energy - the cheapest shoes I've bought for a long time, and surprisingly excellent. I don't think I'd use them for super-long runs but for anything less than that at easy pace, they are just fine. They can handle a bit more speed too.

Long runs (black top only): Salming EnRoute 2 - these haven't wowed me, but they are comfortable, unobtrusive and do what I want them to do. Would size up by a half size over my normal shoe size if buying again.

Long runs (mainly gravel): Brooks Ghost 9 - still using these occasionally even though they aren't the best for me. They are reliably comfortable and warm this time of year.

Steady runs (on blacktop): Adidas Adizero Boston 8 - I loved my first run in these. They don't feel like they are anything like the 10mm drop they claim to be, and the midsoles have clear roadfeel and response, which I like, but they aren't in any way bouncy. The natural rubber soles are really sticky and I can imagine that these are fantastic in the wet. One extra thing, which I don't often notice - these shoes feel really good on downhill sections, probably also because the sureness of the grip. I would love to race in these... they feel like they would be the perfect Half Marathon shoe, but I feel like they could handle anything from 10k to Full.

XC - Brooks Pure Grit 6 - Still plenty of miles on these ones, and when I started using them again a couple of weeks ago, I'd forgotten how much I liked them. They are firmer than I remembered and just super nimble. They aren't hardcore trail shoes, but they are really perfect for the kind of short, fast XC laps I'm doing right now.

I'm not doing any tempo or sprints at the moment.

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6 miles this morning, with about 3 at the track doing three times through a 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m pyramid and then 42 pull-ups again, 100 dips, and 50 air squats when I got back home.

It ended up being about 60º when I got up around 6:30 this morning. Had I known it was going to be so warm, I would have set my alarm to wake me up a lot earlier so I could have gotten out for a long run on what might be the final "warm" weather morning for a long time.

Edit: I just checked the forecast and it looks like Friday morning will be similar, so that's something to look forward to.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oooo i like this. i use saucony almost exclusively because they currently make the shoes that fit my dumb flat foot the best. i'm very much a mid/forefoot runner but overall weight and a bit of a heavy step can cause me to burn through shoes fairly quickly.

daily trainer - saucony freedom 3 - on the expensive side but for me totally worth it, on my second pair right now. a very comfortable daily that meets my shoe requirements of extremely flexible, relatively light weight, responsive, and low drop (4mm), which i've found gives me the most comfortable stride. my first pair lasted about 350 miles which was solid for me so i'm excited to have something that works so well. the powerrun foam is pretty solid.

tempo / light weight distance - saucony kinvara 11 - great as usual but get used sparingly. my first pair only lasted about 150 miles before they broke down but they work well for tempos, quicker days, and longer races (10K plus).

speed - saucony fast twitch 8 - i love this shoe for track and 5Ks. simple with just a hint of support, i feel like i run really well in them. got over 200 miles on my first pair, which was probably too much but they're great.

trail - brooks cascadia 13 - tried a bunch of trail shoes and these worked the best. very much a full trail shoe, heavy, cushioned, and stable with descent grip. they have a tapered forefoot that makes them feel a bit more nimble on single track and tight spots. pretty flexible though and happy with them.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hurray, winter is coming! Hopefully this little storms dumps a bunch of snow on the wildfires.

1F5133AA-B82C-476F-893F-952A7E443E69.png

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding the shoe discussions: I'm currently running primarily in ASICS GEL-Kayano and GEL-Nimbus. They all feel pretty much the same to me, I like the color schemes ASICS offers, and they give a 40% discount for veterans. That's about as much thought as I put into it.

I do have a pair of Skechers Razor GoRun 6 that I really like that I use for the track but the soles are too spongy and I could tell they wouldn't last long if I used them on concrete or gravel

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Barely talked myself into running this AM. I started running and was like why did I wait 40 minutes to get going I feel fine. Still only did three miles.

Debating a pair of racing flats.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tempo / light weight distance - saucony kinvara 11 - great as usual but get used sparingly. my first pair only lasted about 150 miles before they broke down but they work well for tempos, quicker days, and longer races (10K plus).

speed - saucony fast twitch 8 - i love this shoe for track and 5Ks. simple with just a hint of support, i feel like i run really well in them. got over 200 miles on my first pair, which was probably too much but they're great.

When I am doing tempo, I use the Kinvara too. I have eyed the Fastwitch for speedwork, but I've still got plenty of miles on my Brooks Asteria (which I like a lot too).

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steady run today: my 14.2km (8 3/4 miles) quite hilly (for my area) out-and-back route. It was very windy, and what was worse, it never really seemed to be in my favour, and particularly on the way back it was hard work. I felt good on the way out and at the turn I was on 33:41 or 4:45/km (7:39/mile), which was already a bit slower than my aim, but the return leg was just bad: 35:32 or 5:00/km (8:03/mile).

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
9.3 miles today. My legs were tired af. About 1.5 blocks from my house felt like i was going to puke and called it a day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads