• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I need to call in sick at random from now on as I'm just a salaryman now and **** MegaCorp. Will lift weights this afternoon too. :)

Stopped at a nice park at about 10 miles for a break. Second time someone approached me to tell me how beautiful my ride is. Feels good and if they only knew it's just a 105 gruppo. ;)

1600965583509.png

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10.3 miles this morning at an 8:28/mile pace. The gorgeous weather continues and it looks like it will through about the middle of next week and then we'll start to get considerably cooler.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually switch over to treadmill running during the winter, but since I'm not going back to my gym I'm going to try to do runs outdoor this winter. Can anyone recommend for Michigan winter:

1. A jacket/windbreaker thing.

2. Pants. I have some Nike tights, but they start to hurt after a few miles, and I just don't dig using them at all.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
All of you winter runners should look into cross country skiing attire. I have a pair of tights from Hind that I wear running if it’s below about 40° Fahrenheit.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually switch over to treadmill running during the winter, but since I'm not going back to my gym I'm going to try to do runs outdoor this winter. Can anyone recommend for Michigan winter:

2. Pants. I have some Nike tights, but they start to hurt after a few miles, and I just don't dig using them at all.

my advice would be to grab some solid base layers. some short and long sleeve base layers, one or two with maybe a mock neck for the really cold days. along with that, a warm and breathable hat and some good gloves, nothing worse than cold extremities. those make all the difference for winter running.

as far a jacket, anything that feels comfortable and breathes should do you well. you can probably find anything from 50 - 200 dollar range based on your budget. i would just suggest a highly visible color.

how do the tights hurt? like chaffing? this was discussed a page or so back but i find that a pair of compression briefs or shorts under tights keep things in place, warm, and chafe-free. if they hurt around the waist, they might be too small.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

my advice would be to grab some solid base layers. some short and long sleeve base layers, one or two with maybe a mock neck for the really cold days. along with that, a warm and breathable hat and some good gloves, nothing worse than cold extremities. those make all the difference for winter running.

as far a jacket, anything that feels comfortable and breathes should do you well. you can probably find anything from 50 - 200 dollar range based on your budget. i would just suggest a highly visible color.

^ Some good tips here, especially regarding gloves. I've got a few different pair of running gloves but when the temps drop below about 10F, I usually swap out the gloves for a pair of cheap, knit wool mittens. My fingers stay a lot warmer in mittens than in gloves and the cheap-o knit ones are usually a lot lighter, more breathable, and more comfortable for running in that my heavier duty technical mittens. Those other ones may be warmer but I save them for when it's about -20F or worse.

I'm another Michigan runner and for the upper layers on really cold days I usually go with a long sleeve polypro shirt (I found some good, thinner ones at an Army/Navy surplus store a few years back and then put a windbreaker shell over the top of them. I rotate between two different ones that I picked up from expos at marathons. One is by Brooks and the other is Saucony. They appear to be just their standard windbreaker shells that you find everywhere, only branded for these particular races.

One additional tip on whatever kind of jacket you land on: make sure your pockets are large enough (and have zippers) so you can easily stuff your gloves/mittens and hat in them on the fly when you start to get too warm.

I've tried warmer stuff from Mountain Hardware and REI and Marmot and a few other brands, but always found them too restrictive so I'd rather go with a lighter weight shell and a warmer base layer underneath it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Bah, when we moved to the Piob Palace eight years ago I never thought I'd hate to live up here but now....

From the casa down, to the trailhead for the multi-use, way more flat trails I've been using, and straight back up. I just blow up on this mile stretch at 4%+

1601055741434.png

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appreciate you guys taking the time to advise. I'll be going back to look at the chafing discussion, since I don't keep up with the thread and didn't see it.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cooler temps yesterday after work. My warmup mile jog was the fastest in awhile at 8:07 when I’ve been warming up at 8:30 pace in the middle of summer. My 400M sprint was a 1:04.5 which is the fastest I’ve managed to run it I awhile. I probably could’ve did it faster if there were less people on the track which didn’t force me to run out of my lane.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads