• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are everyones tips for keeping you going in the run. Coming off extended injuries where I didn’t run for 8 years I have started back running again. I find my body is okay but my mind wants to give up knowing its been soo long. One day an 8km run and felt I could of kept going, day off then the next day I struggled and gave up at 3km. Backed it up with a 6km run today. I could run any day at 3kms but I often struggle to go past the 5km run number. Music and thinking about everything else is usually what works but when my mind doesn’t want to think of other things I think about running and thats when I give up.

Welcome back to running. Make sure you keep distances short as your body adapts then up the distance little by little. The mental part of running will build over time as it does with all working out. I hate time in the gym while others love it.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What was the podcast?

There is still a lot of controversy around this whole area and there are still partizans on several sides. But I think the consensus seems to be 'don't ******* up if it's working' - i.e. don't worry too much about whether you are a forefoot, midfoot or heel striker if it's producing results without injury. And what seems to be seen as the real problem now is where your foot lands in relation to your body rather than where you land on your foot per se. Overstriding, that is landing too far in front of the direct line that does down through the centre of your body to the ground, is the thing you want to reduce. From what I've read, if you are going to make changes in your stride, the most important thing is to keep relatively upright and concentrate on making sure the place where your foot hits the ground is as close as it can be to that centre point. As it happens, if you overstride you are more likely to be a heel-striker, but it's an effect not a cause. But someone will probably come along and show that this is all wrong at some point soon...

I got into the whole barefoot thing where it was big. I once ran a half marathon mostly barefoot - not by choice, but because I had been training that way, I was able to run most of the race once I had discarded the shoes I had unwisely chosen. I continued to do occasional barefoot runs to keep my running form in order because, while I don't have any problem with using more padded shoes, they do make you lazy and that can make your form worse, so you need to correct it now and again. So it definitely changed the way I ran. I also continue to prefer lower drop and less padded shoes, especially for racing, although the manufacturing trends are in the opposite direction right now.

It is called The Drive with Peter Attia, MD and this one was with Irene Davis. I subscribe to this podcast so if you end up listening and want a link to a study or something let me know and I will grab it otherwise it is behind the pay wall.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took the past couple days off from running (unless you count chasing my 4-year-old around the chalked outline of a kickball diamond last night) but I got back out there for 20.5 miles this morning.

I did all those miles without ever being outside more than a 2 mile radius of my house:
1600263550846.png

freehand

Reaction score
First proper session of 10k training last night. 10 mins easy (8:10 ish pace, a bit fast); 4x5min tempo (6:56 ish on average); 10 mins easy (8:10 ish again). Did it after a day of school runs, work etc so was a bit tougher than I’d have hoped but got it done. After kid’s bed tonight I’ll do another 45 mins easy which should come out at roughly 5.5 miles.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The air finally cleared up after more than a week, so I was able to get out on the bike after work yesterday! 30 miles on the Hawk Hill/Battery Townsley loop

27A023BE-6998-478F-8FD0-BA66D5BD781D.jpeg
1F072590-E4CE-4512-BE46-3DF522E30189.jpeg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took the past couple days off from running (unless you count chasing my 4-year-old around the chalked outline of a kickball diamond last night) but I got back out there for 20.5 miles this morning.

I did all those miles without ever being outside more than a 2 mile radius of my house:
View attachment 1459501

Are you a member at Oakland HIlls by chance? I'd be happy to invite myself to a round with you next time I'm visiting my sister in Northville :)

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not, though it’s nearly in my back yard. The Birmingham Country Club is practically in my front yard. I don’t golf but everybody I know that golfs both says that Birmingham is a better course… but they did just pump a lot of money and work into Oakland Hills this summer. I think they’re trying to get the US Open again when it’s available.

FWIW, my next door neighbor is a member at Oakland Hills and has invited me out to golf with him a few times. I keep declining because I would embarrass myself so much.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not, though it’s nearly in my back yard. The Birmingham Country Club is practically in my front yard. I don’t golf but everybody I know that golfs both says that Birmingham is a better course… but they did just pump a lot of money and work into Oakland Hills this summer. I think they’re trying to get the US Open again when it’s available.

FWIW, my next door neighbor is a member at Oakland Hills and has invited me out to golf with him a few times. I keep declining because I would embarrass myself so much.

I tried explaining golf and the frustrations and addiction it induces to a non-golfing friend. At the end he said, "Why the **** would anyone want to do that?"

Stick to running and have a much happier life. I'll still come say hi next time I'm in town though :)

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried explaining golf and the frustrations and addiction it induces to a non-golfing friend. At the end he said, "Why the **** would anyone want to do that?"

Stick to running and have a much happier life. I'll still come say hi next time I'm in town though :)

Start at 1:45

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
75 minutes on the trainer. I’m not a huge fan of riding indoors, but the air quality suck and with a newborn in the house, I can’t really go anywhere.

Here’s the Tour de France watching picture from this morning.

6FC534AE-E554-41C8-B1EA-4312ED97BAAD.jpeg

freehand

Reaction score
4.7 miles yesterday (40 mins easy)
6.5 miles today (10 mins easy, 25 mins a bit slower than marathon pace, 15 mins easy)

am enjoying the structure of a training plan and not having to think about what kind of running I’m going to do as the plan tells me. Tomorrow is a rest day, Saturday is a 40 minute hill season (loads of hills where I live so that’ll be fun) and then 60 minutes easy on Sunday.

Am so used to long slow runs it’ll be weird to run nothing longer than 90 minutes for the next 10 weeks. My wife is happy about it though

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads