• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 9.1 miles this morning with ten 100m and 400m segments at the track (as well as two 800m segments), Plus a mile warm-up and a 2 mile cool down. Overall pace of 8:51/mile (which includes my rest periods).

at the end of the run my Garmin told me my VO2 max was 53. It had been at 52 for as long as I can remember. I don’t really know what the VO2 max figures represent. Who wants to give me the dumbed down explanation?

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 9.1 miles this morning with ten 100m and 400m segments at the track (as well as two 800m segments), Plus a mile warm-up and a 2 mile cool down. Overall pace of 8:51/mile (which includes my rest periods).

at the end of the run my Garmin told me my VO2 max was 53. It had been at 52 for as long as I can remember. I don’t really know what the VO2 max figures represent. Who wants to give me the dumbed down explanation?

i believe it's supposed to be how efficiently your body uses oxygen. i think it's on a scale up to 60 (?) and anything above like 50 is excellent. though i'm not sure how a garmin would determine that.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a bullshit calculation that’s based on your HR zones that you set on the express dashboard and where your pace/HR falls as you run.

The reason I call it bullshit is because most people don’t really know their true max HR or lactate threshold HR in order to ‘properly’ set those zones. Further muddying the waters is the inaccuracy of the wrist HR readings for a lot of people.

I used the auto-calculate LT option and after running a 6:34/mi 3-mile tempo it said “congrats your new LT is 7:55/mi pace!”. So yeah, probably needs some work.

Garmin has my V02 Max at 57, while @Man with Apple ’s has him at like 52.

I wouldn’t put too much faith in it.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9.8 miles today. It was somewhat cooler but still soaking wet when I finished. Skipped yesterday to spend time with my parents before they headed back to Ohio today.

My run tomorrow will depends on getting the house ready for an Open House but want some trail miles in

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9.15 pathetic miles broken apart into two runs, a 6.5mi and a 2.6mi. In hindsight this was an avoidable error brought about by stubbornness and ignorance.

I thought that because it was only in the low/mid 80’s that I’d be okay without water on this long run attempt. At the very least this route has water fountains along the way and figured the danger risk was low. What I didn’t realize is that the dew point was 78, which apparently falls into the ‘intolerable/miserable’ spectrum. Also the water fountains were turned off. It was a death march after the first 6.5mi and even those miles were very unpleasant.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A relatively leisurely 11.1 miles this morning at 9:02/mile pace.

I got up to run around 5:30 but it was absolutely pouring. The rain doesn’t bother me much but there was nonstop thunder and lightning too so I went back to bed for a bit. I woke up again just before 7:00 and it was still raining pretty good but the thunder and lighting had moved out so I hit the road. It rained on me for the first few miles then mostly cleared up. I must have timed it just right though because as I got home and was standing in the garage getting out of my wet clothes, the skies really opened up for a good ten minutes.

I had set a goal of 52.0 miles for the week and ended with 53.0.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brutal run this morning. The only good thing about it is that I got it done.

We planned on taking my son to the zoo for his birthday and I wanted to make sure I got my long run in this week after skipping the last two. So I got up at 4:50 this morning to make sure I got it in to give up plenty of time to get to the zoo early.

The goal was 12-14 miles and I ended up getting in 13.1, a nice round half marathon.

I set out around 5:20 and felt pretty good. Pretty dark out and weather was in the low 60s. At mile 6.5 I stopped at a park for a restroom break and to get a few sips of water. My pace at that point was 6:35/mile.

After a few minute break I was back on the road and it was all uphill from there, literally and figuratively. At mile 7 I was still at a 6:35 pace. The remainder of the 6 miles I couldn’t break 7:00 minutes. Mile 8.5 had to stop again for some water. Then at mile 11 did a slow walk for about 30 seconds. Grinded it gone with an overall pace of 6:54 for the run.

86EFF66C-3BBE-4D1F-B1D2-D9711B77B44A.jpeg

I think I felt miserable for a few reasons.

1) I had just 9 miles literally 10 hours prior.
2) I have not been eating high carb meals like I normally do, so no fuel.
3) I have not gotten in steady long run lately.

All in all, nice to just get it done.

Zoo was fun though, although legs were a bit sapped walking around all morning.

Hope everyone is having a nice Sunday.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a great new (to me) trail only 45 minutes from home. It’s not too long, but the fishing seemed pretty good. :)

18CD5282-41E7-4DFC-A4DB-B02BF8A87E50.jpeg

I had a few nibbles, one of which looked like it might’ve been a cutthroat, but I did net this lovely brook trout at about 9400’.

725EAA92-4424-4191-A120-A4A26B9B3994.jpeg
3C58956C-8085-47F7-8BF9-C138C27FEAC2.jpeg

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
64 miles out to Alpine Dam, then up from there over the Sisters. Got several PRs, but missed some good ones by seconds because I don’t have live segments set up on my Wahoo. On the ~20 min climb from Alpine to the top of BoFax I missed a new PR by 8s. ?

DD1DE619-A501-47B3-BA52-F275742AB77C.jpeg
E6EF0F35-51DF-4FB4-8BCA-8CC4D5C04A6B.jpeg
A60913DD-B0C7-4E5A-A500-EF838B90AB8D.jpeg

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8 miles yesterday, 8:07 pace, 137bpm.

We originally set out to do 12, then that became 10, before eventually calling it a day at 8.

I’ve been running poorly the past 5 or so trips out. I think it has something to do with my sleep...I keep waking up every hour or two and likely never get to fully recover. My legs have been feeling tired and heavy.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just finished 8. It was for reasons out of my control a weird start and stop for the first mileish. Got it done in the time it took to do 7. Weird how it didn't take that long for this length to feel normal for me as opposed to a longer run

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads