• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My posture is just ******* terrible which throws off just about any activity I do so I'm sure my mechanics are off. Also, in fairness, something always hurts with me which I am sure is tied to the former point. Also I am a *****. (unrelated to the posture).

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6.5 yesterday with a few guys from the club. we ran up a hill. it felt quite hard. i need to do more of that.

4 today - 1/2 mile warm up, 3 miles of "streetpeats", and a 1/2 mile cool down. streetpeats were 1 block on / 1 block off south to north, then 2 blocks on / 1 block off north to south, most blocks here are a pretty standard 0.1 mile. Averaged 7:20 over the 3 miles. "On" pace was somewhere around 6:15 for the 1 / 1, and 5:55 for the 2 / 1 based on my strava details. "Off" pace was around 8:30 to 9. i wasn't really paying attention to my watch during though, just going on effort which i wanted to be around an 8 out of 10 for the On and about 4 out of 10 for the Off.

Last edited:

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to make a fancy table but I am lazy. Here’s this. 92f.

4C1FA913-38AF-4ED7-8B69-2F404FDED7F9.jpeg

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JBar completed a mile TT tonight. 1.5mi warmup, 1mile TT, .5mi cool down. Temp was 90*F with 44% humidity. Course was a net downhill of maybe 60ft.

I’ll reveal my time tomorrow...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No running today, but I did go to the climbing gym. They’ve started allowing non-members in, so the place was almost full (new full... 50 person limit). I managed to equal my hardest boulder problem this year (V6), so maybe the rest didn’t hurt all that much.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
31 miles on what is becoming my usual after-work dash to get in some miles and some elevation. Hawk Hill and Battery Townsley. Wile E. says, Hi!
A9653F81-595B-41BE-88D8-0CDD6BA03D3A.jpeg

freehand

Reaction score
Those pace tables made me realise I do very little tempo running so last night I did 4 miles at an average 6’48 (splits all within a few seconds of that). Really enjoyed the session and it took half the time of my usual 6-7 mile plod. I think my issue has been taking the 80/20 methodology and extending it to around 95% slow and 5% fast. I like running long and slow but haven’t improved much given the amount I run. I’ve been okay with that trade off but might try to focus on speed for a while.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those pace tables made me realise I do very little tempo running so last night I did 4 miles at an average 6’48 (splits all within a few seconds of that). Really enjoyed the session and it took half the time of my usual 6-7 mile plod. I think my issue has been taking the 80/20 methodology and extending it to around 95% slow and 5% fast. I like running long and slow but haven’t improved much given the amount I run. I’ve been okay with that trade off but might try to focus on speed for a while.

It's the right time of year to do lots more speed work, while it's warmest (even in England...), and assuming you've got your base miles down in the cooler months.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ten on the dot. Took two breaks for about .5 mile. Subtracting time at the intersection and for dog etc it was a bit under 1h20m.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did my first steady run at my new training paces today, and it felt like last year when I was just starting over on this serious running thing.

This was my 13.2km (8 1/4 mile) route from my place to the head of the island and back.

For this distance at steady pace, I was previously aiming at 5:00/km (8:03/mile), but in practice running more like 4:50/km (7:47/mile)

Now my steady run target pace for this distance is 4:40/km (just over 7:30/mile).

As usual when I have a new target pace, I went off too fast, and had to adjust things around the 4-5km mark. Even so, I hit the turn (6.6km, just over 4 miles) at 0:30:08 (which is 4:34/km or 7:20/mile) - too fast in other words. I was aiming for even splits today (I'll go back to negative splits when I'm used to these new paces), but I knew I would probably be slower on the return this time, and so it was: 0:31:00 exactly (4:42/km or 7:33/mile), but the total was 1:01:08 (4:38/km or 7:27/mile), which means I was actually slightly faster than my pace aim.

I wouldn't say it was comfortable, and I am going to have to work harder until it is (that's the point of training, right?), but I did jump in the lake afterwards, so life is good.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok so I uploaded my run to Strava and it says my Mile TT was -169ft so more decent than I thought and my time was 5:31 give or take a couple seconds as somehow Strava and Garmin disagree. This also says my 1K PR is 3:18 which gives me no context as I have never looked at that before. I am satisfied with this effort for the heat outside and could maybe drop is slightly with cooler weather but don't know how much.

@edinatlanta - That's 10 miles at an 8min mile pace which is really good. I bet the heat is even worse in Atlanta compared to Nashville.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics