• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really helpful @FlyingMonkey — thanks for sharing. I wish I would have waited for your repost vs. doing all the conversions manually.

—-

5.4mi tonight at 7:36/mi with 146bpm. Wore the chest HRM just to make sure my optical wrist was still reporting accurately. Readings look about similar I think.

Also I need to correct myself...I thought I was getting more fit, turns out I’m just becoming less fat. I’ve lost 11lbs since the heat kicked up (193 > 182).

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing I realised I was getting wrong in the year since I've been back training seriously is that for most of it I was trying to run to a single fixed pace for each run type (i.e. 6:00/km for long runs, 5:00/km for steady pace, etc.), whereas of course, it should differ depending on the distance. This year I realised that I was naturally varying the pace by distance (as well as run type) anyway, and then since @Dusty Heaters (thank-you!) posted the link to the Daniels (etc.) spreadsheet, I've realised I should have had a more varied plan all along - which seems obvious now but for some reason it wasn't last year. Maybe it's just more obvious once you've got lighter, fitter and faster and the question becomes, "well, now how fast do I run?". Hence my new table...

And yes, I know it might perhaps be more useful to work by heartrate, but at the moment I don't have an HRM. I'm thinking about it...

Back to running reports:

I went back to doing speed work this morning. I was supposed to do 12 * 400m sprint intervals, but I had had enough after 9. It was hard work and I'm not a sprinter at all. I'm going to change the course a bit next time I do this too because the second and sixth reps were slightly longer had a ramp up at the end. I was aiming at 1:26 average, but I didn't quite make it and my times were quite variable. I need to work on consistency as well as speed...

1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
Average
1:28​
1:34​
1:29​
1:27​
1:22​
1:42​
1:37​
1:35​
1:31​

This is nearer to my interval target (3:50/km) rather than my sprint target (3:35/km).

There was about 4.6km worth of warm up and cool down and walking in between the reps.

When I was finished I went for a swim in the lake, which was fantastic.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 miles last after a heavy dinner so I was slow. I didn't think I would get a run in last night but somehow the timing just worked out for me to get in some miles.

I was looking at my paces and I am slower in the evening versus when I was running midday. The drain of work mixed with a stomach full of food slows my pace but I did enjoy running quicker on Saturday. I need to figure out how to get in some quicker miles during the week.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8.2 miles this morning with a trip to the track for 800 meter repeats.

(I'm gonna be fancy like @FlyingMonkey and use a table)
3:15.13:15.53:18.63:25.83:27.83:31.63:26.73:32.13:27.03:26.4

At the time I didn't realize that my first few intervals were so much faster than the rest. And I actually thought the last two would have been quite a bit faster as I was really pushing myself on those because a couple of girls had shown up at the track wearing next to nothing and I decided to run faster to look more cool. That works, right?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
8.5 miles. I walked at mile 5 and 7.3. Tried a new route, I knew it would be longer but I wasn't sure by how much and I suppose now I know. It was good.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(I'm gonna be fancy like @FlyingMonkey and use a table)

What have I done???

Anyway, I was just checking my measurements, and it seems that on reps 6 and 7, I may have run just under 40 metres extra, because the marked course is a little long for that kilometre. If you look at my times that would make more sense for those reps to have been 1:33 and 1:29 respectively rather than being so much slower (1:42 and 1:37). That would have made my average 1:29 (much nearer to my 1:26 target) and 3:43/km. I'm not going to 'correct' my results either here or in my records - they can stay as they are - but I don't feel so depressed now...

Last edited:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 road miles at a faster pace than usual (44:05) for this time of year. It’s only 70 out, and there was a light rain falling for the second half of my run.

Also, I need to be careful about what songs I listen to before running. I had the kids’ song I’ve Got Something In My Lunchbox stuck in my head the whole time.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 miles this evening in the opposite of my favored direction. The last 2 miles of this direction has 4 climbs, 2 small roller type hills, one big one with 100ft gain over 0.2mi, then another quick roller type. Usually use this as a confidence boosted and tonight it did it’s job.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speed work this evening. 2mi WU, 3x 1K reps, 5x 200m reps, 1.5mi CD. Rest between K's was 2:30-3:00, and 1:30-2:00 between 200's. Let me try one of those fancy tables for the details...

1st K2nd K3rd K1st 2002nd 2003rd 2004th 2005th 200
3:43​
3:42​
3:42​
:35​
:32​
:34​
:33​
:33​
154bpm160bpm162bpm155bpm160bpm157bpm159bpm157bpm

After the first K I thought, 'Am I @Man with Apple ?'. Shortly after the 2nd I realized 'No, no I am not.' -- More like Man With Small Grapes.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I realised I was getting wrong in the year since I've been back training seriously is that for most of it I was trying to run to a single fixed pace for each run type (i.e. 6:00/km for long runs, 5:00/km for steady pace, etc.), whereas of course, it should differ depending on the distance. This year I realised that I was naturally varying the pace by distance (as well as run type) anyway, and then since @Dusty Heaters (thank-you!) posted the link to the Daniels (etc.) spreadsheet, I've realised I should have had a more varied plan all along - which seems obvious now but for some reason it wasn't last year. Maybe it's just more obvious once you've got lighter, fitter and faster and the question becomes, "well, now how fast do I run?". Hence my new table...

And yes, I know it might perhaps be more useful to work by heartrate, but at the moment I don't have an HRM. I'm thinking about it...

Back to running reports:

I went back to doing speed work this morning. I was supposed to do 12 * 400m sprint intervals, but I had had enough after 9. It was hard work and I'm not a sprinter at all. I'm going to change the course a bit next time I do this too because the second and sixth reps were slightly longer had a ramp up at the end. I was aiming at 1:26 average, but I didn't quite make it and my times were quite variable. I need to work on consistency as well as speed...

1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
Average
1:28​
1:34​
1:27​
1:22​
1:42​
1:37​
1:35​
1:31​

This is nearer to my interval target (3:50/km) rather than my sprint target (3:35/km).

There was about 4.6km worth of warm up and cool down and walking in between the reps.

When I was finished I went for a swim in the lake, which was fantastic.
That’s a **** ton of 400’s. The most I ever run is 3 sometimes 4 in one workout. If I’m actually training for speed, I’ll just do 1 all out and then just focus on 200’s.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a **** ton of 400’s. The most I ever run is 3 sometimes 4 in one workout. If I’m actually training for speed, I’ll just do 1 all out and then just focus on 200’s.

Yep. And personally I prefer more variety. But the people who suggested them also suggested increasing the number the next time! As I'm training for distance, these are as much about sustaining a fast pace over multiple reps as anything else (so I can run faster over the last say, 3 to 5k of a race). I might be faster if I did fewer reps and actually wanted to improve my sprint speed as the main objective... But I've never been a sprinter: I'm too small and too lightweight.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did a short run (lmao it wasnt that long ago this route was my daily run) because tomorrow I want to do 10 miles.

Felt good but had to take an extended walk because my knee started hurting. 4 miles running and took 47 minutes

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10.6 miles this morning

2 mile warmup with about a 9:40/mile pace
4 miles around 8:40ish, which would be my marathon pace
2 miles around 7:53/mile, which is slightly slower than my 10k pace
Another mile at 8:24, so a bit faster than my marathon pace
The final 1.6 miles around 7:45/mile

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads