• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Daniel's VDOT has my marathon pace around 6:53/mi...which is a little hot for me during weekly long runs. That's more in line with where I feel 'tempo' is most days. True easy pace right now seems to be around ~8:20/mi, which feels deliberately throttled back. I start to lose the ability to carry a conversation around ~7:10...So maybe 7:40ish is a pretty good 'steady easy' zone for long runs.

I'm still playing around and learning. Appreciate you guys weighing in with thoughts and experiences. @Fueco @Man with Apple

What distance did you establish your VDOT reference at? If you ran a mile TT, I suspect you aren't getting a very accurate estimation of your marathon pace. If you've run a half marathon any time recently, I'd use the estimates from that result.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6.53/mile is nearer my Half-marathon pace, and 7:40/mi is in my 'moderate aerobic' zone according to Daniels, which is my current steady run territory... your 'throttled back' unbearable slow pace is on the far edge of my fastest possible Long Run pace. But I'm at least 15 years older and I was never as fast as you to begin with...

My conclusion: run how you like. You're young, you're fast, so enjoy it!

I would estimate that’s about where my fitness is right now as well (1:29-1:33 half marathon). Moderate aerobic sounds like a good way to describe how 7:20-7:50 feels. I think we’re pretty similar!

I’m just making a conscious effort to stay as healthy as possible, while sprinkling in some calculated risks. This is different game for me vs. weight lifting (very black & white, you know is 2sec if you can or can’t perform the lift).

What distance did you establish your VDOT reference at? If you ran a mile TT, I suspect you aren't getting a very accurate estimation of your marathon pace. If you've run a half marathon any time recently, I'd use the estimates from that result.

Ah, yep, that’s it. I’ve only been doing short distance TT stuff because they’re far easier to recover from. I’ll have to figure out a good time for a half to see where I’m at...found a nice route recently.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
6.2 today. Faster than where I was this time last year so that's good. It's hot and humid now. Four weeks ago when I was running longer and faster it was also substantially cooler thanks to a low-pressure system. I probably walked a mile all told. I went a route that I've had a mental roadblock about being able to get up over this one hill at at about mile 2.5 (it is the exit point of a valley and because it's on Georgia's Path Network of trails they make it really winding so you don't exert yourself too much as a walker). I think because I was so in my head about getting over the hill I did not get over the hill.

Yeah, it was humid.
I did this route today and a bit more for 6.3 miles. Glad i did because it was a great run and i almost talked myself into a short run. Was relatively cool the whole run and only a brief stop at mile 5 but probably could have kept going. I went longer and still was almost 8 minutes faster than the last time i did this.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 miles last night in a deliberately slow pace as I was talking to my mom the whole run. Pacing was 9:11 per mile. Was shooting for 50 miles last week and came in at 39. 2 days of no effort followed by a shorter Saturday run then a time squeezed Sunday run.

My company is doing another step challenge through the end of the month so I am going for more steps again. Last time I averaged 21K per day which last time included a dog walk, my normal run, and play time with the kids during the week. Could be tough during the week as dog and kids don't do well in the heat.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Could be tough during the week as dog and kids don't do well in the heat.
Sounds like a good time for them to build character.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6.3 miles this morning. I beat last Monday's 5k PR by 1 second but fell short of last week's 10k PR by 34 seconds. It looks like I really fell behind on miles 4 and 5 this week. Traffic was really heavy as I ran through downtown and had to slow down a bunch of times to cross through intersections so that probably accounts for a bit of it. I also noticed that I didn't push myself nearly as hard on my final half mile stretch toward home like I normally do. I did start off even considerably faster today though and that's something I've been working on so I'm really pleased with that.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10K yesterday with the daughter and stroller. though the humidity in the area was finally pushed out the sun was incredibly strong and the real feel at 9am was 85F but it man did it feel so much better. managed 8:15 pace which is about my max with the stroller now, kids get too darn heavy.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, yep, that’s it. I’ve only been doing short distance TT stuff because they’re far easier to recover from. I’ll have to figure out a good time for a half to see where I’m at...found a nice route recently.

I've done mile, 5k, 8k, and Half TTs in the last 3 months (as you might know) - thing is that the results are so dependent on conditions but... that's life. I've created an average of all the results, and run it through Daniels and McMillan, to come up with my new training plan paces (from this month until the end of the year), which are:

Long (Easy)Distance (km)
32 to 40​
24 to 32​
16 to 24​
8 to 16​
Pace (min/km)
5:45 - 6:00​
5:30 - 5:45​
5:15 - 5:30​
5:00 - 5:15​
Steady (Marathon)Distance
20 to 24​
16 to 20​
12 to 16​
8 to 12​
Pace
4:55 - 5:05​
4:45 - 4:55​
4:35 - 4:45​
4:25 - 4:35​
Tempo (Threshold)Distance
15 to 18​
12 to 15​
9 to 12​
5 to 9​
Pace
4:23 - 4:26​
4:20 - 4:23​
4:17 - 4:20​
4:13 - 4:17​
Intervals
3:50​
Sprints (Repetition)
3:35​

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Backsliding imperialist running dog version, especially for @sugarbutch :

Long (Easy)Distance (miles)20 to 2515 to 2010 to 155 to 10
Pace (min/mile)9:16 - 9:408:52 - 9:168:27 - 8:528:03 - 8:27
Steady (Marathon)Distance12.5 to 1510 to 12.57.5 to 105 to 7.5
Pace7:55 - 8:117:39 - 7:557:22 - 7:397:06 - 7:22
Tempo (Threshold)Distance9.25 to 11.257.5 to 9.255.5 to 7.53 to 5.5
Pace7:03 - 7:096:59 - 7:036:54 - 6:596:47 - 6:54
Intervals6:10
Sprints (Repetition)5:47

(this seriously makes no sense to me)

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didnt run today. Partially because I had a completely full schedule today and couldnt get out, but also because I ran 10 miles yesterday for the first time. In my new found Rona induced running career, I am approaching 200 miles, so yesterday represents a fairly sizable portion of my total. While I started running because I couldnt go to the gym and dont have a weight lifting set up at home, I never really set any goals. Since this seems to be the new normal and it looks like I'll be running for some time going forward, my competitiveness makes me want to get better.

I guess that means picking up Daniels Running Formula, but I thought I would ask if there are other or better resources out there. I still dont have any specific goals, except stay healthy and go faster, so there's that. Thanks in advance and I appreciate the help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads