• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thankful for all of the housing renovations going on in my neighborhood. New house may have more tree cover to duck into.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. This wasn’t so much a race for me (given that 19,000 people are taking part and the front runners finished in around 10 days), but certainly a reason to go and run, set targets and track my progress over a long ish time horizon. My local running clubs have been doing virtual scavenger hunt runs and similar things which have also been fun. Can’t wait to have a proper race to look forward to.

The scavenger hunt sounds like a fun idea. I might suggest that to my local veterans running group. I could go out to a particular park and leave some little "treasures" or even just markers and the members could run/hike/ruck to the markers to check in. Sort of like geocaching.

I am thankful for all of the housing renovations going on in my neighborhood. New house may have more tree cover to duck into.

I'm not one who gets mid-run mudbutt but luckily if I ever do most of the cities around here require contractors to put out a porta-john when they are building or renovating a house so you're never too far from an open bathroom.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh man this happened on my run last week, half way through just full on gastric distress. luckily i was a quarter mile from a park with restrooms. i find that the heat can really bring this on, i'm never frantically searching for a toilet in the winter for some reason.

6.5 miles last night with some friends. we went out before a front rolled through and the humidity was rough. the system pasted just north of us but we got the benefit of the wind and the cooler air. pace dropped almost a minute on the way back because things were so nice.

C59037AE-1FA7-44B2-871F-9CE9B2CA6537.jpeg

10K recovery this afternoon. i waited out the rain but couldn't escape the humidity.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I can't go to the gym anymore so I need to get my workouts in somehow.

One thing I've learned is if I want to get faster in sprints (100m, 200m, 400m), I'm wasting my time jogging a mile as part of my warmup.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8.2km out-and-back tempo on a warm and humid late afternoon today. Sun was out sporadically on the way out (17:49, 4:21/km), but it was thankfully cloudy on the way back (17.28, 4:16/km) for a total of 35:18 (4:18/km), which is a couple of seconds per km more I should be doing for a tempo of this distance (according to Daniels) but with the heat adjustment, is just fine.

June Monthly Report

Overall this month has been okay but not quite what I wanted. The main disappointment was not finishing my marathon but I probably wouldn't have been running normally this week if I had. The speed was up, but the mileage was down compared to last month because I was tapering for most of it, and then took some time off after the marathon.

Number of runs: 12
Total distance:177.15km (110 miles)
Average distance: 14.8km (9 1/4 miles)
Average pace: 5:12/km

Long Runs: 4
Total Distance: 74.6km (46 1/3 miles)
Average Distance: 18.6km (11 1/2 miles)
Longest run: 24.4km (just over 15 miles) in 2:05:03
Average Pace: 5:28/km

Steady Runs: 5
Total Distance: 54.15 (33 2/3 miles)
Average Distance: 10.8km (6 3/4 miles)
Average Pace: 4:50/km

Tempo Runs: 2
Total Distance: 14.9km (9 1/4 miles)
Average Pace: 4:19/km

Speed sessions: 0

“Races”: 1
Distance: 33.5km (20 3/4 miles) (of 42.2km)
Time: 3:09:14

Missed runs: 2

Injuries: none.

Weight: 63kg (139lbs) - same as May

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to climbing... This is my third time at the gym in the past week. Surprisingly, I haven’t lost much climbing fitness. I’m maxing our at V5, versus V6 back in March. I suppose I can thank the hangboard work for that.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second run of the day - 5.5mi at 7:14/mi with a 153bpm HR. Got to run in the new Adidas Adizero Pro...Which was a consolation for not being selected to buy the Adizero Aidos Pro. Absolutely sweltering still. Hopefully I can get my body to adjust in short order or this is going to be a summer of pain.

6D06A1DF-56F8-4B12-98A3-3B7DF1DB2926.jpeg
141FDBC1-C532-4002-B401-2EF5E2E4EDB1.jpeg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Back to climbing... This is my third time at the gym in the past week. Surprisingly, I haven’t lost much climbing fitness. I’m maxing our at V5, versus V6 back in March. I suppose I can thank the hangboard work for that.
What is the COVID protocol at your climbing gym?

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did you think of the shoes?

A let down.

They waited all this time and tried so hard to drum up Nike-style hype only to release a bloated carbon plated shoe with no real differentiation. The only saving grace is the price (runningwarehouse w/ coupon code).

It’s not a bad shoe by any means...I just expected a lot more from adidas.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the COVID protocol at your climbing gym?

Basically, they’re allowing 50 people in the gym per 2.5 hour block of time. They’re also limiting the number of people in the bouldering area to 15 people at a time.

They’re sanitizing public areas between time blocks, requiring masks, and the locker room area is closed, so you have to show up ready to workout.

They’re also limiting it to members and people with punch passes. You also have to make reservation before going. I made my reservation for today at about 2:00 PM, and it was nearly booked full for the 5:30-7:45 session, and it did fill up.

I got there at 5:30 and stayed for 45 minutes.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 miles last night in the post rain mist. I went the opposite direction for my normal loop which ends with 2 bigger hills. I missed getting a PR on the first hill as I had no clue where the Strava segment was and slowed down early.

I got in 969 miles for the first half of the year which is better than I expected with a few weeks off for my stubbed toe and a vacation in early February where running was minimal.

The second half of the year will feature at least 2 races, if still held in Nov. and Dec., otherwise I may make a couple adventures up to various parks to put in some good miles.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9.8 miles this morning with 10 half mile intervals at about 3 minutes 35 seconds each. I decided to use the street grid for my intervals today rather than going to the track, just to mix it up a bit. Temps were in the mid 60s with humidity around 95%.

I didn't log as many miles as @jbarwick in the first half of the year but did get about 908 miles, 762 of them since the start of April.

Today is the first time I've physically come into my office since March 13th. I know I've lost a lot of weight since WFH began but didn't realize how significant it has been until I went to get dressed this morning and EVERY. SINGLE. PAIR. of trousers I tried on was literally falling of me. I finally remembered a box of old chinos and trousers I had packed away a long time ago and thankfully there was something in there that sort of fit, but I've still got the belt cinched way too tight in order to keep them from falling down. There are usually about 80 people on my floor of the office building, but it looks like there are maybe 3 or 4 here today (not counting myself). The two other co-workers that I've run into this morning both commented, unprompted, on my weight loss so I guess it is noticeable to others.

The climbing gym that our nearly 10-year-old daughter goes to just opened back up this week and she's itching to get back in there. We're waiting to see how things shake out and considering signing her back up for lessons starting at the end of the month.

Their COVID protocol sounds similar to your gym: 50% capacity, open to members only, locker room and fitness room is closed, reservations required, and they cut the number of kids in the lessons by a few. I think they are also requiring that you use your own climbing shoes now (I cannot recall what the email said). She's technically the member but when she's there for lessons, I can climb for free on the autobelays or bouldering (or on the top ropes if I have somebody to belay me). I really enjoy climbing and during her 90-minute lesson I would usually climb for 30 or 40 minutes and then run during the rest but I don't know if I'll be allowed to do that under their current protocols this summer.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I've lost a lot of weight since WFH began but didn't realize how significant it has been until I went to get dressed this morning and EVERY. SINGLE. PAIR. of trousers I tried on was literally falling of me.

I am wearing shorts today that I bought 2 years ago thinking they would be fine and couldn't even get near buttoning them. Now I almost need a belt... it's great, but if I lose too much more, potentially very expensive!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads