• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since moving to Houston, I've concluded that there is absolutely no pleasure in running here. The weather is awful, there is absolutely nothing of interest to see, and rather than enjoy my running, I look forward to finishing it. Time for an indoor workout for me after almost 15 years of running.
I don't know if you were itp or otp but this is the time of year where if it weren't for the peachtree I'd just about give up. We're thankfully still a city in the trees but Houston is just more of the worst parts of Atlanta with a port.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Always nice to have another contributor.

What HR monitor do you use? I tend to never consider mine because it’s only the data derived from my Garmin 45. I have never done the strap.

On my 18 mile run today for example it had me at a 177 HR at a 7:12/mile pace. But I think I have found that the heat plays a noticeable factor for me.

I also use the Garmin 45, which is obviously a bit suspect because of the wrist reading method. On the other hand, when I was a cyclist and used to wear the chest strap, I would stay in the 155-175 range most of my rides. so it seems at least plausible.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know if you were itp or otp but this is the time of year where if it weren't for the peachtree I'd just about give up. We're thankfully still a city in the trees but Houston is just more of the worst parts of Atlanta with a port.

itp, and running was actually enjoyable most of the time

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Run 1 of 2 complete. 5 miles at 7:55/mi with 140bpm. Much cooler temperature wise (72f), but 95% humidity, so still unpleasant.

Around mile 3 or so I had a sudden and urgent **** attack. It couldn’t wait and was either the ground or my pants. Farted into a nearby park and dropped a pile in the tree line. Sorry kids.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Around mile 3 or so I had a sudden and urgent **** attack. It couldn’t wait and was either the ground or my pants. Farted into a nearby park and dropped a pile in the tree line. Sorry kids.

I had a few days in a row of this last summer. It's not nice. I hope it's a one-off for you.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got in 7 miles last night after some storms rolled through. It was noticeably cooler than pre-rain so I enjoyed the run. Getting emotional about my 7 mile JBar loop when we move out of this neighborhood. The area we are looking is hillier but less runner friendly so I will need to amp up the visibility of what I wear...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Run 1 of 2 complete. 5 miles at 7:55/mi with 140bpm. Much cooler temperature wise (72f), but 95% humidity, so still unpleasant.

I'm guessing you don't wipe afterwards. Just pull your pants back up and continue on?

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a few days in a row of this last summer. It's not nice. I hope it's a one-off for you.

This was the first time that I had to make an emergency stop. Usually I'm able to grind through the discomfort, but this could not wait.

I'm guessing you don't wipe afterwards. Just pull your pants back up and continue on?

I didn't want to disclose this, but since you asked...I wiped with my hand and then field-washed in a pile of leaves/dirt. That hand did not touch anything until being washed properly in a sink when home.

freehand

Reaction score
Have been away from this thread for a few months. It’s great to see it being actively used to share runs, information and experiences (even sharting oneself can bring insights!) Since the start of May I’ve been taking part in the Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee, organised by Laz Lake, RD of the Barkley Marathons.

it’s been a very positive influence on my motivation to run. The race involves running 1020ish km between the start of May and end of August. So around 5 miles per day on average. Some are doing out and backs or more but I’m taking it steady. I’m currently at around 360 miles, averaging closer to 6 miles per day, placing me somewhere in the vicinity of Chattanooga.

If anyone is struggling for motivation at the moment I would recommend joining a virtual run. The community, accountability and the challenge of these things is a genuine help to get out and run when the temptation to do otherwise can be high.

Happy running everyone

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to disclose this, but since you asked...I wiped with my hand and then field-washed in a pile of leaves/dirt. That hand did not touch anything until being washed properly in a sink when home.

During my run on Sunday morning, I had to stop twice. Fortunately, there are lots of maple and cottonwood trees along those trails with fresh leaves.

Edit: oddly, I paused reading The Dalai Lama to write those sentences. The key to happiness might include a private place to dook.

Last edited:

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6 miles for me this morning @ 7:48 pace.

And fortunately for me I didn’t have to use the woods, there was a convenient porta potti.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10.2 miles this morning at an 8:30/mile pace. Temps were in the mid 60s and the humidity was negligible. My HR averaged 146 according to my Garmin.

I've finished June with 301.5 miles.

Have been away from this thread for a few months. It’s great to see it being actively used to share runs, information and experiences (even sharting oneself can bring insights!) Since the start of May I’ve been taking part in the Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee, organised by Laz Lake, RD of the Barkley Marathons.

it’s been a very positive influence on my motivation to run. The race involves running 1020ish km between the start of May and end of August. So around 5 miles per day on average. Some are doing out and backs or more but I’m taking it steady. I’m currently at around 360 miles, averaging closer to 6 miles per day, placing me somewhere in the vicinity of Chattanooga.

If anyone is struggling for motivation at the moment I would recommend joining a virtual run. The community, accountability and the challenge of these things is a genuine help to get out and run when the temptation to do otherwise can be high.

Happy running everyone

I've never been interested in virtual races, but I like the sound of that one. First one to achieve a particular distance over the course of a few weeks or months sounds more interesting than a virtual 5k or 10k (that just sounds like a money grab to me).

freehand

Reaction score
I've never been interested in virtual races, but I like the sound of that one. First one to achieve a particular distance over the course of a few weeks or months sounds more interesting than a virtual 5k or 10k (that just sounds like a money grab to me).

I agree. This wasn’t so much a race for me (given that 19,000 people are taking part and the front runners finished in around 10 days), but certainly a reason to go and run, set targets and track my progress over a long ish time horizon. My local running clubs have been doing virtual scavenger hunt runs and similar things which have also been fun. Can’t wait to have a proper race to look forward to.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yikes. I had no idea this was an issue for so many. The only time I've ever had to take a wild deuce was when I was a kid. My brother and I spent the summers in Houston with our dad. Both he and his wife worked, so we were sent off to a community center with our step-siblings. One morning on the walk there, I knew I wouldn't make it to the community center bathroom, so I ducked between the dumpsters and grease trap of a Taco Bell en route, and left what might have been seen as a restaurant review...

Unrelated: It was at the community center that I first learned what an Aggie was. One of the counselors, Terri, was a proud Texas A&M attendee, and in my memory at least always wore an A&M shirt. It's probably better that she never knew I grew up to be a Longhorn.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find there's something about running, especially early in the morning, that can loosen things up. Sometimes sports drinks or gels can make it worse too. I don't get this when I'm cycling at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads