• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10.4 miles this morning at 8:33/mile. The first three miles were under 8:00/mile because I was trying to keep pace with a girl that ran past my driveway right as I was stepping off. I caught up to her about a half mile down the road, then pulled ahead for a bit and we kept trading places for nearly three miles. She was probably 15-20 years younger than me and I don’t think she was even breaking a sweat. I, on the other hand, was kicking myself for my stubbornness that wouldn’t allow me to back off. Thankfully when we got to the big intersection, she turned where I went straight so I could dial it back without worrying about looking weak as she passed me. :lol:

I also got some new shoes this morning: Nike Air Zoom Pegasus Trail. I don’t really need trail shoes (though these aren’t quite as gnarly as some of the more robust trail shoes out there) but my local running store sent around an email yesterday with a list of about 20 or 30 shoes that were demoed in store, had no boxes, or were gently used returns. I like the “Zoom Pegasus” line, these were my size, and marked down significantly so I decided to give them a try. They fit my wife feet comfortably and I like the way they look so that’s about how technical I get when choosing new running shoes. The store delivered them to me sometime overnight or early in the morning so they were sitting on my porch ready for me when I went out today. The box was included and they appeared to have absolutely no wear on them so for about 70% off, it was a hard deal to beat.

View attachment 1400822

That’s pretty funny. I remember one of the first thing I struggled with when running my first races was being passed or beaten by girls. Very humbling.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started out the door to run yesterday afternoon and bailed when I got to the corner. I just didn’t feel it. I’m still sore from hiking with the kids on Wednesday.

Last edited:

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of shoes... I'm doing a little early spring cleaning if anyone if interested in lightly used shoes. Some deets below.

1. Nike Pegasus 37 (yeah the brand new ones that just came out) $60 shipped
    1. Size 11. 21 miles on them.
  2. Nike React Infinity Run (New 2020 model) $40 shipped
    1. Size 11. 129 miles on them
  3. Hoka One One Clifton 6. $40 shipped
    1. Size 10.5 130 miles on them.
  4. Altra Provision 4. $60 shipped
    1. Size 11. 10 miles on them

Shoes don't come with the box, but I will clean and treat them prior to shipping.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
10.4 miles this morning at 8:33/mile. The first three miles were under 8:00/mile because I was trying to keep pace with a girl that ran past my driveway right as I was stepping off. I caught up to her about a half mile down the road, then pulled ahead for a bit and we kept trading places for nearly three miles. She was probably 15-20 years younger than me and I don’t think she was even breaking a sweat. I, on the other hand, was kicking myself for my stubbornness that wouldn’t allow me to back off. Thankfully when we got to the big intersection, she turned where I went straight so I could dial it back without worrying about looking weak as she passed me. :lol:

I also got some new shoes this morning: Nike Air Zoom Pegasus Trail. I don’t really need trail shoes (though these aren’t quite as gnarly as some of the more robust trail shoes out there) but my local running store sent around an email yesterday with a list of about 20 or 30 shoes that were demoed in store, had no boxes, or were gently used returns. I like the “Zoom Pegasus” line, these were my size, and marked down significantly so I decided to give them a try. They fit my wife feet comfortably and I like the way they look so that’s about how technical I get when choosing new running shoes. The store delivered them to me sometime overnight or early in the morning so they were sitting on my porch ready for me when I went out today. The box was included and they appeared to have absolutely no wear on them so for about 70% off, it was a hard deal to beat.

View attachment 1400822
I have to resist the urge to chase the rabbit, too. When this happens on a ride, I have my power meter to remind me that I can't sustain that nonsense...

aiur

Reaction score
Speaking of shoes... I'm doing a little early spring cleaning if anyone if interested in lightly used shoes. Some deets below.

1. Nike Pegasus 37 (yeah the brand new ones that just came out) $60 shipped
    1. Size 11. 21 miles on them.
  2. Nike React Infinity Run (New 2020 model) $40 shipped
    1. Size 11. 129 miles on them
  3. Hoka One One Clifton 6. $40 shipped
    1. Size 10.5 130 miles on them.
  4. Altra Provision 4. $60 shipped
    1. Size 11. 10 miles on them

Shoes don't come with the box, but I will clean and treat them prior to shipping.
What do you think of Clifton 6? I have Clifton 1 (re-release) that I really like.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see anyone else running around here so I don't really have any issues one way or the other, but I have seen quite a lot of women runners writing about how male runners behave, and I've concluded that maybe it's not the best idea to try to chase down some random younger woman you don't know. Just think about how might look and feel from their perspective.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mile 22 of today’s mixed terrain ride. Temps have ranged from the mid 90s to the upper 80s. The beer is a ‘We’re Not Alright’ NEIPA from Gunbarrel Brewing (Boulder, CO -about two miles from home). I did 25 total, with the last mile or so with my son. I usually try to time my rides to do this because handling the dogs and a kid on the Strider bike going downhill is a bit much for one person.

0F519D4A-69E1-438B-B5CC-282E2797A084.jpeg
0F519D4A-69E1-438B-B5CC-282E2797A084.jpeg

Last edited:

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got in 7 miles today @ 7:39/mile. Took my son again and thank goodness no flat tires. He was stoked because this was his longest ride. Ran in and had to brag to mom and his little brother.

Weather was super odd today in So Cal. 90s all week, and this afternoon was low 60s with a slight drizzle.

@Fueco What’s in the glass? Looks awesome.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got in 7 miles today @ 7:39/mile. Took my son again and thank goodness no flat tires. He was stoked because this was his longest ride. Ran in and had to brag to mom and his little brother.

Weather was super odd today in So Cal. 90s all week, and this afternoon was low 60s with a slight drizzle.

@Fueco What’s in the glass? Looks awesome.

I edited the post. It’s a NEIPA from my favorite brewery.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think of Clifton 6? I have Clifton 1 (re-release) that I really like.

I would say that if you liked the re-release of the C1, you'll likely enjoy the C6...but the C7 is right around the corner so you may want to hold out if you like the latest and greatest. There's also a Clifton 7 Edge, which is lighter and has this slightly extended heel for alleged improved downhill road running. I wasn't fortunate enough to get a pre-release of either of the new models so I can't speak from experience there.

As for me personally, I had some great runs in the C6 and really enjoyed it. Somewhere along the line Hoka's just stopped working with my stride so I've kept these on the shelf. I seem to go through phases with shoe preferences as my running evolves over time. One thing worth noting is that they're built like a tank. Normally, I start to notice some slight midsole degradation after about 100 miles, but these show no such signs. Even the outsole looks completely unscathed, just a little dirty. If you like a high cushioned daily trainer that can handle a lot of versatility and provide 400+ miles of use, this might be something you look into.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 day of icing, then an extra day off and I think my leg is fine now. Good 11.4km (7 mile) steady run this morning at 7am - almost dead-on 5:00/km pace, with a slight negative split (I'm trying to do practice running negative splits in all my runs right now). It was already getting hot by the time I finished, so I jumped in the lake, which was so cold but amazing. My solo marathon is next weekend (I hope).

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
4.58 miles and seven flights of stairs. I wanted to do more but was a bit time constrained with my breadmaking duties. Considering how poorly I've ated and dranked the last two days it was a good run.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A local on Strava who I've chit-chatted with over comments here and there decided to meet up this morning for a long run. We had agreed on 14-17 miles in total and since I am a lot slower than them, chose a challenging hilly route that I thought would be to their (slight) benefit. It was/is a really rough day weather-wise; high 80's, very high humidity, and again...full sun. Both of us didn't bring water -- I knew I'd be okay if I paced it conservatively and I trusted the other persons' judgement.

So we click through about 5 miles at a ~8:38/mi pace, casual and fluidly conversational. It really made loosening up and those boring miles much better. So right about 5.5mi as we're about to turn towards the challenging section, they say they don't feel good. I didn't feel great either, so I commiserate thinking it's just normal whining. Then a couple seconds later they ask to stop. So we both pause for a moment, then she drops her hands to her knees, hangs there for a moment before slumping down on all fours in the middle of the sidewalk. At this point I start to get pretty concerned...but again, I don't know this person or how they react to stress. I suggest nearby water fountains and at the very least to get out of the direct sun and seek shade under a nearby underpass. She's still on the ground at this point and not too responsive, likely out of both embarrassment and exhaustion. After a couple awkward minutes with me trying to help, I lightly suggest running back to my car and coming to pick her up. She gets us and walks into the shade and says that sounds good because she can't make it back. I'm really confused, because she's a MUCH faster and more high-mileage runner than I am...but I try to 'book it' back to the car. I was only able to hold about a ~7:40/mi pace on the way back. The sun radiating off the jet black asphalt was baking me like a convection oven. It was wicked, but I didn't want them waiting for 1+ hour for me to pick them up while they're already feeling bad.

So anyway, I make it back, pick them up, and we laugh about it. I was relieved they weren't seriously messed up...though I did tell them I was going to retell this story and I'm really glad the butt of the joke wasn't me. They laughed and approved. What a day.

85F3B6D4-7A74-4237-9221-2A6D936E66AF.jpeg

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ Those are some crazy negative splits and an equally crazy story to go with it. I’m glad that it sounds like she wasn’t having a more serious problem.

I don't see anyone else running around here so I don't really have any issues one way or the other, but I have seen quite a lot of women runners writing about how male runners behave, and I've concluded that maybe it's not the best idea to try to chase down some random younger woman you don't know. Just think about how might look and feel from their perspective.

Over the past month or so, I’ve noticed a ton more runners out in the mornings than normal for this time of year here. I try and catch up to many of them, male or female, and usually fail. There have been so many runners out lately that if I actively avoided them all, I’d be altering my routes pretty drastically. I am conscious of how it might feel for the female runners so if I do try to catch up to one, I always try to keep my pace up so I can catch them, pass them, and then be done with it. It was a fluke with yesterday’s run where the girl was going on the same route as me without turning for 3 miles.

I do occasionally alter my route to avoid young women though. If I’m approaching an intersection and planning to turn and then see a young woman pass in the direction I’m planning to go, I’ll usually go up an extra block or turn the opposite direction(if those are options)

This morning I tried catching a guy who ran past my driveway as I was starting. He was really moving and I could only keep up with him for about a half mile before he left me in the dust. I swear he looked back at me and laughed before turning on the afterburners.

FWIW, my wife’s cousin was visiting us for a few days a couple years ago and she was driving into the neighborhood in the evening And said she probably saw a dozen girls out running through the area by themselves and commented that she usually judges how safe a neighborhood is by how many young women she sees out running by themselves.

9.3 miles for me this morning. The weather has been warm lately but no humidity this week, which has been pretty nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads