• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
63 miles today. Up to Alpine Dam from Fairfax, then the Seven Sisters, and down to Pan Toll. Really hot on the inland portion of the ride (my Bolt recorded 107° peak temp, which is probably a bit high, but certainly plausible a couple of feet off the tarmac). Five-plus bottles of water, and I ended up riding to HR instead of power because I didn’t want to get into trouble out in the middle of nowhere. I encountered only four other cyclists (two of them on a tandem going down the Sisters!) between Deer Park and Pan Toll, and the road between the gate at the top of BoFax and the gate at Pan Toll is closed, so no cars.
CB2CAB8C-CD27-4AD2-B0E2-CE579C096AFC.jpeg
353B77FE-9419-4E0F-87DA-AB99529326CD.jpeg
2E2C5369-134C-40AD-92E4-BDA20DA6C8EF.jpeg
498A43AC-AE2B-486D-9A21-3887E8E9F326.jpeg
F5B3DA6B-1812-4D86-95CE-5F6AE73583C1.jpeg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My favorites are Assos and Panache. The Panache bib shorts (yes, I wholeheartedly recommend bibs: your nether regions will thank you) are considerably cheaper, but the Assos are noticeably better for longer rides.

Also, use chamois cream for any rides much longer than an hour. My goto brands are Assos and DZ Nuts.
I have been resisting spending $200+ on bibs, but I think I may have to...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
63 miles today. Up to Alpine Dam from Fairfax, then the Seven Sisters, and down to Pan Toll. Really hot on the inland portion of the ride (my Bolt recorded 107° peak temp, which is probably a bit high, but certainly plausible a couple of feet off the tarmac). Five-plus bottles of water, and I ended up riding to HR instead of power because I didn’t want to get into trouble out in the middle of nowhere. I encountered only four other cyclists (two of them on a tandem going down the Sisters!) between Deer Park and Pan Toll, and the road between the gate at the top of BoFax and the gate at Pan Toll is closed, so no cars.
View attachment 1400090 View attachment 1400091 View attachment 1400092 View attachment 1400093 View attachment 1400094

Ah, that brings back memories... I've done a few of SF Randonneurs rides that followed those roads, along with a couple of other rides.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
5.82 miles felt good only had to stop once just short of the peak of a hill because it was too much and at mile 5 because i was tired. I know 2 runs is a bad sample size but the gels do seem to help. I often wake up ready for breakfast so having something in me surely is better than not.

Also some good news: wore my new tanktop. It is a camo pattern. Was afraid i wouldn't be seen. I can be seen.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also one thing I do really like about running in summer (AKA half the year for Atlanta) is that when I get home there's something affirming of being covered in sweat. Like: yeah, you exercised hard af.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
14.1 miles for me this morning. I felt slow but still managed to keep my pace below 9:00/mile and Strava says I set a new half marathon PR, so I'll take it. I ran through a couple of neighborhoods I've never gone through and found one of them to be really quite scenic and have a couple of massive hills in it... well, "massive" for this very flat section of the Detroit suburbs. It was surprising because one of the neighborhoods was right off a major 10 lane road and surrounded by office parks and stripmalls.

Hottest day of the year thus far and I had a workout planned. Mid-90’s, moderately humid, full sun.

2mi WU, 2.5mi Tempo, 1.8mi CD.

Work miles: 6:55, 6:47, 3:24

As soon as I left my house I knew this was going to suck...but I started to feel a little better after the warm up mile. I stop to do my dynamic stretches and drill routine but I was getting swarmed by mosquitos and aborted. Psychologically that really bummed me out. I look forward to opening up my mobility and focusing on rhythm before a harder effort. It ended up being okay, but man the sun was melting me like an ant under a magnifying glass. I originally planned a 20 minute tempo run, but cut it short because my pacing was ****. I was inadvertently speeding up because I wanted it get it over with. The cool down felt miserable. The exposure of the sun drained the life out of me. Either I need to get tougher or it needs to get cooler. Hopefully both.

I may complain about high temps and humidity but they don't seem to bother me anywhere near as much as the full sun beating down on me on a hot day. No matter how limber, rested, hydrated, or fueled I am, that full sun will just absolutely drain me. That's another reason I like getting my run done early in the morning.

View attachment 1400090 View attachment 1400091 View attachment 1400092 View attachment 1400093 View attachment 1400094

Gorgeous!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5.82 miles felt good only had to stop once just short of the peak of a hill because it was too much and at mile 5 because i was tired. I know 2 runs is a bad sample size but the gels do seem to help. I often wake up ready for breakfast so having something in me surely is better than not.

Also some good news: wore my new tanktop. It is a camo pattern. Was afraid i wouldn't be seen. I can be seen.

I wouldn't down sugar then go for a run. Try a handful of almonds or something if you need something in your stomach.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

TWSS

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bibrecommendations:

I like Search and State stuff a lot, made in nyc if you care about that

Rapha is the “big” fashion-y brand, pretty good quality, probably your best bet.

I also life Cafe du Cycliste and Pas Normal Studios stuff. MAAP is good. Asoss as @Fueco mentioned is good quality at a price, but I found less attractive, more “race” style.

you can also get serviceable stuff from pearl Izumi and the like at your local bike shop or at REI.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bibrecommendations:

I like Search and State stuff a lot, made in nyc if you care about that

Rapha is the “big” fashion-y brand, pretty good quality, probably your best bet.

I also life Cafe du Cycliste and Pas Normal Studios stuff. MAAP is good. Asoss as @Fueco mentioned is good quality at a price, but I found less attractive, more “race” style.

you can also get serviceable stuff from pearl Izumi and the like at your local bike shop or at REI.
My main bibs are Pearl Izumi, and they are good for at least three hours in the saddle. I've done a couple of centuries in them, and the last 25 miles on one were a struggle, but the other they were fine for basically the whole ride. The key variable seems to be terrain variety. With really long flats and/or climbs, discomfort is more likely. If it's a regular mix, the changes in position help to keep things humming along nicely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads