• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wife took a gnarly spill on a big downhill on the bike this weekend. 911, ER (which I had to wait in the car due to COVID), whole 9 yards. Chipped tooth, stitches, broken wrist, bunch of scrapes. She’s more tough than I am and taking it like a champ. Surgery tomorrow on the wrist and extensive (and likely expensive) dentistry work to come. Could have been way worse if she hit a tree or something, but she’s scraped up and everything is tender. Send good vibes our way please.

gratuitious TMI: one tooth was “avulsed” which the police officer and I scoured for and found. Since small upstate town is so close to ER they were able to reinsert and save when she got there. We saw our dentist for emergency visit next morning who pushed it in another 3mm and it looks like it will be fine (albeit a pesky root canal in a month or three).

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Man, that's terrible. I hope she recovers quickly and fully.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason, the run following a day off of running always feels more tiring than normal.

For me, on a day off, everything tightens up in my legs, so if I don't so some serious stretching / loosening work then it is hard the day after. I was feeling that yestederday on my first day off until I did some pilates and stretches in the evening. I've given myself two days off, so I'll do some more today...

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear all that about your wife @concealed. Hopefully she makes a full and speedy recovery.

____

On my front, I got 10.7 miles in this morning. We're back to a.m. temps in the mid 60s but it rained last night and there wasn't much humidity this morning, but it's supposed to get HOT later today and tomorrow (maybe I'll take a cold dip in the kids blow up pool!). I'm really happy that I've been able to keep my pace well under 9:00/mile even on these 10+ mile runs lately and my pace has generally been improving as my run progresses and I loosen up, so it's not like I'm fading towards the end.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's terrifying to hear @concealed glad she's got cojones.

Today I did 4.25ish miles. No stopping. Was it: no beers last night/the slice of cake for desert/two days off running/my tanktop/having a gel before?

How could anyone know...

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Michigan Planner Where in Michigan are you at? We go out each summer to spend the 4th at Glen Lake with my wife’s family. Probably one of the best times of the year for us.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, on a day off, everything tightens up in my legs, so if I don't so some serious stretching / loosening work then it is hard the day after. I was feeling that yestederday on my first day off until I did some pilates and stretches in the evening. I've given myself two days off, so I'll do some more today...

Yeah, I get that too, particularly when I'm just laying around on my rest day. I feel worst when I totally shutdown on a day off. The 'active recovery' seems to thwart stiffness -- whether that be a leisurely cycle, gardening, dog walk, whatever...As long as I'm moving my body and getting the blood flowing I feel a lot better the next day. Where I always seem to feel it is in overall lethargy those first few miles. Things just kind of feel a little more labored and a little less mentally engaged. Maybe it's all in my head.

I'm really happy that I've been able to keep my pace well under 9:00/mile even on these 10+ mile runs lately and my pace has generally been improving as my run progresses and I loosen up, so it's not like I'm fading towards the end.

My money is on your overall fitness improving due to consistent high volume over time. Way to go!

That's terrifying to hear @concealed glad she's got cojones.

Today I did 4.25ish miles. No stopping. Was it: no beers last night/the slice of cake for desert/two days off running/my tanktop/having a gel before?

How could anyone know...
Probably the shoes.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Michigan Planner Where in Michigan are you at? We go out each summer to spend the 4th at Glen Lake with my wife’s family. Probably one of the best times of the year for us.

I love the Glen Lake area. Friends of ours have a cottage down near Empire so we usually make out out that way once or twice a summer. We are down near Detroit in Bloomfield Hills. My in-laws live on Lake Huron in Fort Gratiot and we have a seperate beach house on their property that we go out to quite a bit but the lakes and beaches on the Lake Michigan are really so much nicer (Fort Gratiot is nice though because we can be there in just over an hour so we spend a lot of time out there in the summer and I can still come home or make it to my office if I need to).

We were out at the beach on Memorial Day weekend and the water is really high this year. We had also had big heavy rain and wind storms a couple days before so there was a lot of debris that had washed ashore which normally we don't have to deal with. Just a few years ago we had a nice wide, sandy beach but now it's probably less than 10' from the seawall to the water line (a decade ago it was closer to 40' and it was awesome). Last year it was really high too so hopefully it will go down a bit next spring.

We had a couple of really super cold winters in a row which caused ice to form over close to 100% of the Great Lakes. This is bad news for property owners on the big lakes because that means water isn't evaporating during the winter which leads to these really high water levels in the spring and summer. We need a couple of moderately cold winters with less ice but cold enough that the air dries out enough to cause more evaporation. If we lose even more of the beach next spring I'm going to try to use that as justification to my wife as to why we should put in an in-ground pool. :lol:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got in 7 miles last night with a belly full of watermelon so it was slow going. Once I eat some watermelon, I just can't stop. Today I got in another 7 miles. I was going to get in more but the kids were waking up and I got a text from my wife to head home.

My nightly and weekend active recovery involves walking with the dog or following the kids around while they bike or ride power wheels.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For me it's rainier cherries. Thankfully they are too expensive and too fleeting for this to be a regular event.

Once I eat some watermelon, I just can't stop.
fattysayswhat

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always enjoyed stories about the East African distance runners. For those interested, thought I would share this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics