• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of the Kinvara 10s in full-on neon-yellow. I don't really wear them much (yet), partly because I haven't really worked out what they are for (or at least how I can use them).

I like the uppers and the way they fit. But they are pretty flimsy in terms of their sole, as @Man with Apple notes. There's just hardly any rubber there, so the EVA is taking a beating directly from the ground. My experience is that you take them off anything but basic road, they start to cut up pretty quickly. So I can't really use them for any of my backroad runs on gravel etc. especially because gravel seems to get stuck in the soft sole really easily too. I really don't see that the tiny weight advantage in not having rubber is worth the much lower utility.

The Kinvaras also lack a dependable grip in the rain (tried that already too). So, to be honest, they seem like they are designed for use indoors or on smooth roads in warm, dry weather. I also don't know how they are supposed to feel. They feel like you can't run too fast in them, you wouldn't want to run too far in them, so basically, mid-range, steady-pace stuff. In other words, all-in-all, they seem most suitable for for the kind of running I do the least of at the moment. That's not to say they aren't suitable for many other people, indeed many other people seem to swear by them. But at the moment, I just swear at them...

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, anyone else get a bit of a headache after a longer run? Seems to happen to me pretty regularly after my longer runs.

The only time I've ever got this was because of one or a combination of: heatstroke, dehydration and hunger / blood sugar drop. Maybe you should be drinking or eating more?

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only time I've ever got this was because of one or a combination of: heatstroke, dehydration and hunger / blood sugar drop. Maybe you should be drinking or eating more?

Maybe, but I did have a couple pieces of toast and a banana before my run. Also a shot of water. It goes away pretty quickly once I stop.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FlyingMonkey Your feedback on the Kinvara is fair. I like the shoe as a lightweight daily trainer option in that mileage range you noted, 4-9 miles or so. It kind of reminds me of the Altra Escalante in terms of ride. There’s just enough stack in the midsole to be comfortable and it encourages you to focus on cleaning up your footstrike. Really efficient runners can run marathons in them, but I like something with a bit more midsole for the long haul. For me, the fit is really nice and I love the 4mm drop at easy-steady paces. The exposed outsole is kind of a recent trend...I’m not so sure I’m sold on that concept either from a traction perspective. I’m sure it effects longevity too.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8.5 miles yesterday then 9.8 miles today. Great 2 days of running weather though had to stop both days for a bathroom break. Got a little over 200 miles in May and shooting for something similar in June. No real plans, just running and enjoying it.

May go see some family in Ohio in early July so May try to find a cool trail to hit up during the drive.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Finished off the month with a shortish trail ride in McLaren, just over 9 miles on a gravel bike my neighbor is letting me try out for a while. It's a lower end aluminum bike, so kind of heavy, but still a lot of fun. He installed a stem with a bit of suspension. It bobs a bit when climbing on the road, but is very effective in taking the sting out on the dirt and gravel.

542 bike miles for the month. 1 running mile. :)

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished off the month with a shortish trail ride in McLaren, just over 9 miles on a gravel bike my neighbor is letting me try out for a while. It's a lower end aluminum bike, so kind of heavy, but still a lot of fun. He installed a stem with a bit of suspension. It bobs a bit when climbing on the road, but is very effective in taking the sting out on the dirt and gravel.

542 bike miles for the month. 1 running mile. :)

You mentioned racing season on a prior page...you bike racing or is this car racing?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am having two (or maybe three) days off and being happy with it. I might go out for a leisurely ride later.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You mentioned racing season on a prior page...you bike racing or is this car racing?
Car racing. 24 Hours of Lemons and Lucky Dog.

Bike racing is a level of insanity I can't reconcile with being a responsible husband and parent. :)

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6.2 miles this morning on the 10k route I try to run a couple of times a week. I managed to set a 10k PR today and kept my pace at 8:13/mile. I guess that bowl of Cocoa Puffs I had at 11:30 p.m. was a good way to fuel up!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Car racing. 24 Hours of Lemons and Lucky Dog.

Bike racing is a level of insanity I can't reconcile with being a responsible husband and parent. :)

That’s about right... I did a couple of Cat 5 races 14 years ago that we’re just nuts. I was dropped by the field after getting caught behind a crash in the first one, just before the first hill. This other guy and I worked together to try to close the gap, but just couldn’t. The pace was insane.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lower levels are always worse for that. Low cat riders just do not know how to pace themselves and a lot of them will fall apart later on. Higher cat races are usually a lot less frantic at the start; people know there's a long way to go.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lower levels are always worse for that. Low cat riders just do not know how to pace themselves and a lot of them will fall apart later on. Higher cat races are usually a lot less frantic at the start; people know there's a long way to go.

Except in California and Colorado. There are a lot of really fast riders. I’m just better at long distance time trials...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would need to lose about 25 pounds and gain 25-35 watts to hang in a typical Cat 4/5 crit around here. And I would not be in contention for a good finish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads