• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
55 miles today up to Fairfax and back. Missed my Camino Alto PR by 10s, mostly because I misremembered the wattage I would need to target to beat it. I could have given it more had I set the right target. It was a cold, foggy day in the headlands, but warm and sunny in the city and from Sausalito north.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to go to Watertown for work, and we basically had to drive to Sacketts Harbor for a decent restaurant. Never made it across the border on any of those trips, though.

There is a privately-run 6-car ferry from Cape Vincent to Wolfe Island. It's really just a floating platform with an engine. Easiest way to cross the border in either direction (assuming you can get on).

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it’s official, Boston 2020 is cancelled and the race will be “virtual”. Bummer, but from the FAQs, looks like times can carry over to the 2021 race, which would make sense given that there have been such few qualifying races in 2020.

A real shame - it's always the best marathon to watch too. The best, of course, was 2018, because my favourite runner, the never-say-die, last man standing, 'Rocky Balboa' of marathon running, Yuki Kawauchi, won in dreadful conditions... and confused the commentators completely.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9.1 miles this morning.

I've now passed 300 miles for the month for the first time ever. I'm planning to dial things back a bit and aim for 250 miles in June and try to get at least one day of rest each week. I've run everyday since April 24th, averaging 12.6 miles/day and logging 454.5 total miles since that time.

101084520_10104065321505296_8065509279748063232_n.jpg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've run everyday since April 24th, averaging 12.6 miles/day and logging 454.5 total miles since that time.

how are your joints not in massive pain?

Also I did more experiment on my 3-6 beers the night before running hypothesis. Four, apparently, is a bad amount. Did a bit over four miles and it wasn't that great. I was a bit mentally distracted which, honestly, I think is my most nagging problem. Once my brain starts going (and it's rarely on good things) I just stop.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
9.1 miles this morning.

I've now passed 300 miles for the month for the first time ever. I'm planning to dial things back a bit and aim for 250 miles in June and try to get at least one day of rest each week. I've run everyday since April 24th, averaging 12.6 miles/day and logging 454.5 total miles since that time.

I can't even process this kind of daily grind.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9.1 miles this morning.

Even while I was actively training for ultras, I never came anywhere near those miles. Are you training for something?

The only person I know doing those kinds of miles does several hundred-mile races each year.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how are your joints not in massive pain?

Mind over matter. If I don't mind, it doesn't matter?

I always start my runs early in the mornings with minimal stretching so maybe I just don't know what it feels like to not be stiff and have joint pain.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mind over matter. If I don't mind, it doesn't matter?

I always start my runs early in the mornings with minimal stretching so maybe I just don't know what it feels like to not be stiff and have joint pain.
Is this post-Marines syndrome? :)

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even while I was actively training for ultras, I never came anywhere near those miles. Are you training for something?

The only person I know doing those kinds of miles does several hundred-mile races each year.

No races on the horizon for me. I've got a couple local halfs I was going to do this year but who knows if those will happen and besides a few specific marathons that I like to run, I just don't really care about marathons anymore. I enjoy the distance of a half or a 30k better.

I run to clear my mind and relieve stress and as I've got a pretty sedentary job I run to keep me active and moving and all the running helps with my sleep (I lay down and I'm out for the night within 5 minutes of my head hitting the pillow).

I will add that once the gyms open back up here I'll probably dial my running waaaaayyyy back as I'll be able to add a bigger variety of things back into my routine and hopefully go back to a spinning class a couple times a week.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:

I must have transposed some numbers somewhere or counted a week twice because my mileage since April 24th is 359.7 miles not 454.5 and I'm averaging 8.6 miles/day.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
75-80 MPW consistently is just awesome. Inspirational mileage. Love seeing it @Michigan Planner -- you give me motivation to try harder.

And yeah, I sprained it pretty good...but there have been incidents that I ran through (foolishly). Ice, lacrosse ball, compression, and mostly importantly attitude.

I think one of the biggest things the Corps taught me (proved) is just how far beyond your perceived limits you can force yourself. Not that you need to be in the armed forces to learn that lesson...but there's something about not having a choice, anyone who gives a **** about your pain, and suffering as a unit that's drives the point home quick. Living and breathing the suck 24/7, no way out, no breaks, that was really beyond anything I had ever experienced before or after. Kinda makes everything else seem easier by comparison.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics