• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sale weekend at Boulder Running Company means new shoes and socks day! Paradigm 4.5 and King Mtn.

6F08BA1D-823A-40F0-B7B5-3B928A645081.jpeg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just over 50 today. Slept poorly and couldn't get back to sleep after waking up a bit before 5 a.m., so I made the best of it by getting an early start to avoid the heat. Wasn't up to the full Tam, so I turned around at the Rock Spring trailhead. The temperature early in the ride was perfection.

IMG_7354.jpg
IMG_7349 copy.jpg

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF looks almost magical from a distance.

In other news, I am still feeling like ****. I never usually feel this bad after hard runs.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
SF looks almost magical from a distance.

In other news, I am still feeling like ****. I never usually feel this bad after hard runs.
When the marine layer is in the bay and the sun is lower in the sky, it's pretty fantastic.

Sorry to hear about the post-run blahs. I sometimes get that after hard, sustained effort if I fail to hydrate and/or fuel properly.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 miles today from my house to the inlaws. Ran to the park, part of a loop then some back roads to their place. The direct route 4 miles so I added some.

was mid-80s and humid but the shade of the park helped for a bit. Great week of running with over 55 miles for the first time in a while.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
6.25ish miles in an hour 10. Even with at least 15 minutes of walking it was rough

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My nurse-practitioner friend who came to see me says I was suffering from actual heatstroke and dehydration. I realised that despite the fact I've run up to marathon distance in the last year, I've never run more than 20km at a time in summer. My increase in distance has all been in Fall / Winter / Spring up until this point. So I need to be a lot more careful, maybe run much earlier or much later, and certainly carry a lot more water.

This also has me thinking whether I should even try to run my solo marathon in two weeks. Races work because of the support - the feed stations and water every few km. I won't have any of that. I guess I could stash some bottles the night before in various places...

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My nurse-practitioner friend who came to see me says I was suffering from actual heatstroke and dehydration. I realised that despite the fact I've run up to marathon distance in the last year, I've never run more than 20km at a time in summer. My increase in distance has all been in Fall / Winter / Spring up until this point. So I need to be a lot more careful, maybe run much earlier or much later, and certainly carry a lot more water.

This also has me thinking whether I should even try to run my solo marathon in two weeks. Races work because of the support - the feed stations and water every few km. I won't have any of that. I guess I could stash some bottles the night before in various places...

Heat stroke is no laughing matter and I was always told that once you’ve legitimately suffered from it, you’re more susceptible to it in the future so take it easy out there.

As for water and running your solo marathon, stashing some water sounds like a good idea. The few times I’ve run marathon distance solo, it was a double loop from my house to my wife’s aunt’s house and the aunt put some water bottles outside for me so I could have a drink as I ran past Both times and then I kept water outside at our house as well.

_____

I got in 10.5 miles today. I’d normally be running in our local Memorial Day 10k carrying the Marine Corps flag but that was cancelled this year (I’m not paying for a virtual race). But I still got in 10.5 miles this morning and I dedicated my Memorial Day miles to Sergeant Major Joseph Ellis who was KIA during OIF 07022007. He was the nicest, most down to earth, certified bad ass I knew.

E2D1A845-0323-4867-B081-0E335800518F.jpeg

6AB2B009-86D8-420C-9AD1-AB22A804041E.jpeg

it was 70° with 98% humidity at 6:30 this morning. I somehow managed to step in every mud puddle along the way (including one that sent me sliding down a hill on my knees) and did 5 repeats up a short but steep hill (I think it was around 10% last time I calculated that one). All in all a pretty good run!

C1209EBE-85A0-4A29-8DB5-CECA5AB448FE.jpeg
8DDBF620-95F5-4775-B4E9-F98BD5BC527E.jpeg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This just in from
Heat stroke is no laughing matter and I was always told that once you’ve legitimately suffered from it, you’re more susceptible to it in the future so take it easy out there.

As for water and running your solo marathon, stashing some water sounds like a good idea. The few times I’ve run marathon distance solo, it was a double loop from my house to my wife’s aunt’s house and the aunt put some water bottles outside for me so I could have a drink as I ran past Both times and then I kept water outside at our house as well.

_____

I got in 10.5 miles today. I’d normally be running in our local Memorial Day 10k carrying the Marine Corps flag but that was cancelled this year (I’m not paying for a virtual race). But I still got in 10.5 miles this morning and I dedicated my Memorial Day miles to Sergeant Major Joseph Ellis who was KIA during OIF 07022007. He was the nicest, most down to earth, certified bad ass I knew.

View attachment 1395029

View attachment 1395028

it was 70° with 98% humidity at 6:30 this morning. I somehow managed to step in every mud puddle along the way (including one that sent me sliding down a hill on my knees) and did 5 repeats up a short but steep hill (I think it was around 10% last time I calculated that one). All in all a pretty good run!

View attachment 1395026 View attachment 1395027
And now we can stalk you! I won't get too far in a philosophical rabbit hole but i think, as a nation, we've forgotten that this should be a solemn day not just the start of summer. So thank you for your memorial of your friend. I don't necessarily think we need to have 24 hours of national, open grieving but even individual reflections like this are sufficient.

Anyway this is fresh in from the Amazon Essentials running department. (Good day, ladies).
20200525_105116.jpg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ I live and die by the Amazon Essentials running shirts (can’t do the singlets as I tend to chaff when wearing them). I haven’t found a better value out there for shirts, and since I’ve gotten to cheap to pay for as many 5k and 10k runs over the past few years, my supply of “freebies” is running out as I’ve had to throw out the stinkiest ones.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads