• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you guys paying for the subscription? None of the premium offerings in Summit were compelling enough for me, but now that they've put segments behind the paywall, I may finally pony up.

I am about to as well. For as much as I use the app, it seems worth it. My only complaint is I originally signed up with Facebook and am still attached to that interface for logging in. I tried switching but could no find out how to.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have neglected this thread the last couple weeks. Had a medical issue I was trying to diagnose but based on numerous tests looks like it might have just been a reaction to an antibiotic.

Just starting to up the mileage in prep for the next race. Did 5 miles Wednesday and 6 miles each on Thursday, Friday, and today. Today’s pace was at 7:04/mile.

@Michigan Planner Congrats on the weight loss and time improvement. That’s awesome.

Also, took delivery of the Saucony Endorphin Pros yesterday. Have not taken them on the road yet, but based on some in-home testing I think these are gonna be some nice race day shoes. Feel great and look great.

0E24FA8D-8448-4BE9-A0D5-56B5190D5CE7.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6 miles (mostly marathon pace, on the local flat gravel trails), plus 1 mile run/walk with the wife, kids and dogs. Temps in the low 70s.

I pay for Strava premium, not that I really use all of the features...

Last edited:

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you guys paying for the subscription? None of the premium offerings in Summit were compelling enough for me, but now that they've put segments behind the paywall, I may finally pony up.

Yeah, because they give 20% off New Balance and I've really been liking a few items in their line. The savings on shoes paid out the membership. I heard that they are striping down the free membership to bare-bones and putting a lot of free features behind the paywall.

Dope @Man with Apple . I took receipt of mine earlier this week but the weather has been too ****** to wear them. Let us know your first impressions when you get some miles in.

8.5 at a crawl. Low aerobic until ankle is back to normal.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm lying around on my normal Saturday day-off (having had an extra one yesterday). I'm already feeling more energetic and ready for tomorrow's fast finish long run. It's over 26ºC (over 79ºF) here today - at least - which is hotter than normal. We're actually going to swim in the lake for the first time this year.

It's going to be a bit cooler tomorrow, but I am atill starting out early (7am) to make sure I avoid the hotter parts of the day.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have neglected this thread the last couple weeks. Had a medical issue I was trying to diagnose but based on numerous tests looks like it might have just been a reaction to an antibiotic.

Just starting to up the mileage in prep for the next race. Did 5 miles Wednesday and 6 miles each on Thursday, Friday, and today. Today’s pace was at 7:04/mile.

@Michigan Planner Congrats on the weight loss and time improvement. That’s awesome.

Also, took delivery of the Saucony Endorphin Pros yesterday. Have not taken them on the road yet, but based on some in-home testing I think these are gonna be some nice race day shoes. Feel great and look great.

View attachment 1393824

interested to hear about these. was looking at them because i run only in saucony and they seem to fit my foot well. next%'s are too narrow in the arch for me.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first switched from RunKeeper to Strava I had the pay version for the first 5 or 6 months. I liked the extra features but felt I wasn’t really using it to its full extent. That said, I still considered re-upping for the paid version recently and now that they just moved more stuff behind the paywall this past week, I think I might finally do so. I’m just waiting to get my new G-Shock with the heart rate monitor and GPS to see how well it plays with Strava and then I’ll decide for sure. Hopefully that will arrive next week.

FWIW, I do still use RunKeeper from time to time (and then download the GPX files from there and import them to Strava because my OCD demands I have it all in one place). I like how RunKeeper has the ability to program intervals into your run so you can build a training plan. RunKeeper has that for free and if Strava had that even in their paid version I would have never stopped paying when I switched over.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Five miles today. only walked twice with the second one i used to make myself run farther than I would have. Decently powerful about on pace with my 7.5 mile run.

Maybe the key is to have a six pack o' brews every day

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9.3 miles this morning at about 8 minutes 30 seconds throughout. I was feeling pretty good this morning and could have easily gone a few more miles at that pace but I hit my goal of more miles than last week (finished this week with 73.9 miles) so decided to pack it in with less than 10 miles today and give myself a rest.

The weather was perfect though - high 50s, no humidity, lots of sunlight, and a light breeze. It's supposed to get up near 90 early in the week so those gross, sweaty, mornings are just about here.

@Michigan Planner

1. How are you going to be on Strava without being friends with @jbarwick , @Fueco and myself? I’m offended.

2. 20lbs in 3 months is incredible. Congrats! Don’t they say for every pound you lose you get 2s/mi faster or something?

...I’m still a chunky pos at 190lbs this morning (post dump too). :(

I don't really know how to find others on Strava but folks can look for me on there at: https://www.strava.com/athletes/semperfudge

For my 20 pound weight loss, I seriously think I lost about half of that over the course of the first week or two of the shutdown thanks entirely to my inability to go to Starbucks twice a day (my blood type was probably an amalgamation of frappuccino and vanilla sweet cream cold brew) and because I no longer have a beer or three at lunch since I'm working from home and want to set a better example for my kids. I think it goes to show how important diet is, or at least how empty calories in beverages like that can affect your weight.

I haven't heard about the weight loss equating to faster times but it makes sense. The studies I've looked at show how every pound you lose reduces the stress you put on your knees and back and legs by x amount (I forget how they measure stress) which in turn causes less fatigue (which would help with reduced time/increased speed) and lower chance of a whole variety of injuries.

Mt gym is closed and I'm getting to the point in my weight loss where I'm starting to be concerned with muscle loss, especially in the upper body. I've got a few weights and a pull up bar and battle rope so I better break those out and start working them back into my routine (I like to work out outside but it's been so cool and wet I haven't been motivated to). I do think I need to invest in some more weights or kettlebells though as I've got 5 and 10 pounders and 45 pounders... but nothing in between! :crackup:

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got in 10 miles this morning at a 7:49/mile pace. Felt pretty good out there, although mornings are starting to get a bit warmer out here in Southern CA. It’s about 65 already at 8:45 a.m., but the lack of clouds really has the sun beating down on you. Definitely singlet weather again.

Also, I thought I would share some impressions of a new shoe I tried. I purchased the Saucony Triumph 17s to be used as an easy run shoe. My easy pace is ~8:00/mile. But the problem I run into is that I tend to lack the self control to keep my pace down. These Triumph 17s worked perfectly as planned. They have a little more weight to them and I was hoping the added weight would keep me from pushing too hard and that’s exactly what they did. Cushioning was fantastic too. Plush but still nicely responsive. A very comfortable glider. These have been getting some very good reviews as an easy day trainer and I see why.

They are on sale at Running Warehouse here. I would certainly recommend them.

Quick note on sizing. I have typically worn size 10 in all Saucony, and for these I had to size down a half size to 9.5.

Here is a picture on feet:

20B53CCB-7933-4B6F-98EC-816CDCBF3554.jpeg

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I tried to do a fast-finish long run today, and it's definitely hard, definitely something I will do more often, and I definitely failed!

On the plus side: I ran 29.6km (just under 18 1/2 miles) with a significant negative split (1:35:18 for the first 16km / just under 10 miles = 5:57/km pace; and 1:16:26 for the last 13.6km / 8 1/2 miles = 5:37/km pace).

On the minus side: I was supposed to get progressively faster from the 16k mark to the end but I didn't, instead by splits went like this - the distances are uneven because they are based on obvious features (turns, crossroads etc.)

1. 0-16k: 1:35:18 (16km @ 5:57/km)
3/4 gravel, but at least it had been crushed. I was feeling good to this point, but I was also aware it was hotter than I had anticipated and I had been running into a strong wind for most of this time.
2. 16-20.9k: 2:01:30 (4.9km @ 5:21/km)
Onto smooth road, and I let it rip a bit too much. Should have been 5:40-5:45.
3. 20.9-24.9k: 2:23:50 (4km @ 5:35/km)
Gradually uphill, on uncrushed new gravel for the next two sections. There should have been a following wind but it had died down. It was hot and I was running out of liquid. This section should have been under 5:30, but I knew I was getting slower.
4. 24.9-27.4k: 2:38:00 (2.5km @ 5:40/km)
Should have been 5:15 or under, but I was really feeling the miles of gravel in my legs and the lack of water, just trying to keep it up...
5. 27.4-29.2k: 2:49:35 (1.8Kkm @ 6:26/km)
Back on the road again, and all downhill, this should have been 5:00/km or faster, but I just felt completely exhausted. I'd much rather have been walking.
6. 29.2-29.6k: 2:51:44 (400m@5:23/km)
This was supposed to be a sprint, but this was much of a 'sprint' as I could manage.

When I got home I had to get my son to bring me water, and then I went straight back to sleep for an hour. Still not feeling too great...

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Got back on the road today after I strained a muscle in my back last week. I took it easy for just under 5 miles on a warm day: by 8:30 am I was uncomfortably warm and sticking to the shadows where I could.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads