• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 on the dreadmill with 1.5 miles of 1/4-mile r-pace intervals.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't run anything like the volume of guys like @Dusty Heaters or @Wing0. I may do in the future, I don't know - I am still really building up again for the long term, after being pretty inactive (by my standards) for 2-3 years, and I am only just starting to run marathons and longer distance races.

My marathon plan for my first marathon of two this year is bit complicated because I have other target races in between (a trail race, a half and an 8k) and none of them are just 'stepping stones' - although I am less bothered about the 8k. My 'off-season' is about 40km (25 miles) / week. My highest planned mileage points are about 76km (50 miles) / week, and I have quite a long, steady taper, really 4 weeks for the events I am really targeting.

This chart is in kilometres, just to make it clear, and I am now in Week 3. Week 2 obviously should have been higher, but illness and minor injuries cut a couple of runs out. I also haven't included the weeks of strength work and hill repeats I put in over January, although those were definitely part of the marathon (or season) plan. I certainly need a lot more than 12 weeks!

1582247900812.png

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
with any of you minor tweaks have you been to see anyone? PT or anything?

My regular physio / masseuse is back in Canada unfortunately. I have things I can do based on little techniques she's taught me and also from another medical friend who showed me how to do some deep-tissue pressure techniques that help to release over-tense ligaments (but which are very painful in themselves...). And I just have to remember to stop and relax if things get too tensed up...

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The usual 7 miler last night. Can't believe it is almost March. There is this limited spot grass roots style 50K called the Upchuck 50K here in TN. 2 water stops and a brutal course. To get in I would need a 50K as my one last year doesn't count. Debating on a ramp up but a 50K in the heat seems miserable.

Who knows...need some motivation to prep for a race.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steady, just under 12km (7 1/2 miles) today. 5:00/km pace, almost dead on. However, my right hamstring, which has been bothering me now and again for a whiile, was not feeling good by the end.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Between 7-8 miles yesterday over a couple of runs. Working around work schedule and my Garmin has not been finding a signal lately...electronics.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
13 miles on pavement, dirt, gravel, mud, and snow. Good times on Boulder’s backroads. Temps in the upper 40s to mid 50s.

Shaunm88

Reaction score
Reading some of these distances takes me back. After 4 years with constant injuries I’m slowing coming back from a torn calf. 3x 3 mile runs a week is all I am at currently.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was supposed to be doing 33km today, but instead I'm lying around and taking it easy while icing my hamstring. I'm going to give it until at least Tuesday at least before I try running again. I've also been reading up on hamstring strains (along with Achilles' Tendon pain, the most common injury in runners), and it seems that the underlying cause is probably sitting down too much. As someone who is basically reading and writing most of the time, I do tend to sit for long periods, more than I think. I need to break up the periods of sitting with standing and walking and stretching, rather than just sitting or running (I mean obviously I do more than that, but I do need to consciously vary my activities more).

Shaunm88

Reaction score
I was supposed to be doing 33km today, but instead I'm lying around and taking it easy while icing my hamstring. I'm going to give it until at least Tuesday at least before I try running again. I've also been reading up on hamstring strains (along with Achilles' Tendon pain, the most common injury in runners), and it seems that the underlying cause is probably sitting down too much. As someone who is basically reading and writing most of the time, I do tend to sit for long periods, more than I think. I need to break up the periods of sitting with standing and walking and stretching, rather than just sitting or running (I mean obviously I do more than that, but I do need to consciously vary my activities more).
I hear you on the sitting. Most of my work is at a desk and small 20m walks to where I need to go. I tried a standing desk but I couldn’t get use to it properly.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 miles with the dogs, mostly on slushy snow-covered trails. This was harder than I would have liked, but at least the snow forced an easy pace. Temps around 40.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have not had either of those and I sit at a desk quite a bit. The only thing I suffered from was Patella Femoral pain which was corrected with different shoes. Are you running with a low drop shoe? I had issues when I tried lower drop shoes in like 2011 and realized they were not for me.

Saturday I got in 4 miles on the treadmill, then weights (dumb bell press, bent over row, dead lift), then 10 minutes in the sauna. Yesterday I decided to run the 11.2 mile road park loop. It was cooler so at some point probably 6 miles in I realized I was running well and decided to try to get a sub-1:30. This made the last bit punishing trying to average a low-7min/mile to make up for lost time. I made it and hit one of my goals which was to try for a sub-1:30. It is about 1K ft. climb for the loop.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not had either of those and I sit at a desk quite a bit. The only thing I suffered from was Patella Femoral pain which was corrected with different shoes. Are you running with a low drop shoe? I had issues when I tried lower drop shoes in like 2011 and realized they were not for me.

I do tend to run with flatter shoes, because I used to have a lot more (different) problems when I ran in shoes with more of a drop. I've got good reasons to believe that this has more to do with the contrast between sitting and intense running: I don't have any problems with long, slow running, the problems only seem to occur when I up the pace. I also think that this isn't a new injury or series of injuries, it's just one, but that I didn't take enough time off before, so of course the injury wasn't fully healed, and recurred. I've got to just let my schedule go and rather than think things are going to be better in a few days, not run for a couple of weeks, but stay mobile and actice, lots of core work and stretching. So that's what I'm now doing. I've got work trip the whole of next week so I won't even take my running gear - that way I can't run even if I want to!

Wing0

Reaction score
Took the weekend off so now it’s back to taper marathon stuff. Last long run I can knock out for the next 11 days. Gonna start going run crazy pretty soon here

Attachments

• 92EE9B0D-37F9-48FF-AFF3-4C7D02142097.png
    92EE9B0D-37F9-48FF-AFF3-4C7D02142097.png
    186.5 KB · Views: 22

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads