• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was on vacation and would get 25min on the treadmill before it would lock itself into recovery mode for 5min. I got about 3.x miles each of 3 days. Also got in some weights which I need to add more regularly, just need to figure out how to add that into my life.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was on vacation and would get 25min on the treadmill before it would lock itself into recovery mode for 5min. I got about 3.x miles each of 3 days. Also got in some weights which I need to add more regularly, just need to figure out how to add that into my life.

I usually do weights or stretching while watching late night TV or the news, or something else that doesn't require more than listening.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On most treadmills there is a setting or a workout labeled ‘marathon mode’. When you engage that it’ll override the forced cooldown every 20 minutes.

(I travel for work frequently and had the same issue with hotel gym treadmills.)

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No run yesterday because I had Miyake Taiko drumming practice (every Monday this month and next) (I put a video link up a couple of years ago in Post #13,193 for anyone who is interested). It's pretty physically and intense and good for leg strength training if you are a runner.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5.1 miles with the dogs. Temps in the low 30s and upper 20s.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did just over 11km (just under 7 miles) on Tuesday evening while my son way in gym class. It wasn't pleasant as everything seemed to be giving me problems in my calves. Maybe because of the strain of drumming the night before. Iced both legs when I got back for a couple of hours and they seem generally okay.

Then last night was track night. I never seem to have a simple, normal run at the track recently. Last night, I went feeling fine, but by the time I was stripped down and ready to go, I suddenly had really terrible stomach cramps and had to sprint to the toilet - which was definitely the fastest I ran all night! Unfortunately by the time I had finished and felt better, everyone had already run 2 x 1000.

I thought I should run too fast after that, and asked around for the 4:30/km group, thought I'd found the right people and we were off. That next 1000 felt good, but looking at my stopwatch it was 4:08 at the end - and it turns out this was the 4:00 - 4:15/km group. Well, I stuck with them anyway for the next 3 x 800 and the final 400m. My final average was 4:03/km, largely because of the superfast last 400, but my legs felt great and because this was well below my top speed, I had plenty of acceleration when I felt like it. There's a real pleasure in being able to run smoothly at speed, which is one of the reasons why I have been finding so hard to adjust to being a slower, steadier runner. I guess it's just a matter of choosing your moments...

Anyway, soon after, I was sprinting back to the toilet again... I'm still not 100% recovered and it turns out today that I had some kind of food poisoning from the place we went to lunch, which was a really shabby ramen joint. Won't be going there again.

Last edited:

Wing0

Reaction score
Last marathon prep workout

Attachments

• E63B49D1-890F-4223-AE33-F20F987D5601.png
    E63B49D1-890F-4223-AE33-F20F987D5601.png
    222.3 KB · Views: 13
  • C64A6EEB-0C6B-469C-862E-B4B43CC5BACF.png
    C64A6EEB-0C6B-469C-862E-B4B43CC5BACF.png
    188.1 KB · Views: 12

Wing0

Reaction score
Shoutout to you @FlyingMonkey for doing that with food poisoning...with any of you minor tweaks have you been to see anyone? PT or anything?

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
53549124-9D1E-4CD5-BC1D-46BAEA506ABD.jpeg

My employer decided to pay my entry fees for the local marathon and while it’s not my ideal course, free sounds pretty good. I sketched out my plan and am currently on week two (45mi this week). Mind you I run consistently year round and average 35-40mi/wk when ‘off’, thus the truncated 12wk build vs. a more traditional 16wk. So far so good. Averaging ~7:30/mi pace all easy / ‘steazy’ intensity over hills (2k ft/wk). Will start to sprinkle in tempo miles next week, but workouts will be more hill focused vs. interval trackwork.

Hope everyone‘s running is going well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads