• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I'm entirely sane for signing up for two marathons when the first one I did was so horrible - but a friend here said that it took them 5 or 6 marathons before they got the hang of running them right.

I’ve only done two standalone marathons, and they were two months apart back in 2015. The first was faster. I crushed the first half of the second one (that’s my half marathon PR) before fading. I’d like to break 3:30 for my this one, so running near sea level would be helpful.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve only done two standalone marathons, and they were two months apart back in 2015. The first was faster. I crushed the first half of the second one (that’s my half marathon PR) before fading. I’d like to break 3:30 for my this one, so running near sea level would be helpful.

That's my goal for the second one too. The first is flat and at sea-level but it's mostly on tracks and lanes rather than paved road and the times run for it seem to be slower than road marathons.

Last night was the opposite of a marathon: my weekly track intervals session with the club. 1200m x 2; 1000m x 2; 800m x 2, for a total of 6km. Most of the regular 4:00 min/km pace people said, like me, that they hadn't been feeling too good recently so we decided to set a 4:15 pace, however it seemed that in fact, people were all doing better than they had thought (including me). We started off with 4:58 (4:08 min/km pace) for the first 1200m (3 lap) interval, but from there it got progressively faster, and the final 2 x 800m (2 lap) intervals were pretty fast, the last one the fastest three of the group on the night (including me) ran in 2:55 (3:38 min/km pace). The average was exactly 4:00 min/km. And the really good thing is that, apart from that last 800m where I was just holding on, I felt like I had a lot more to give.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4.5 trail miles with the dogs in that glorious window of time between sunset and civil twilight. Temps fell from 37 to 33 while we were out.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got in 3.2 miles split between the same 2 loops. In between I tried push-ups, sit-ups, and dips to failure. My arms are weak so I died quickly there but can do weighted sit-ups until I get bored which is somewhere around 140.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that was fun. 4 miles with the dogs, with some by headlamp. Temps in the upper 30s with 28 MPH winds.

6299F6CD-F4FB-4D5E-A10A-1EB0CE8DBDD2.png

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was horrible wet snow yesterday here in Tokyo, but today was sunny, 3ºC, light wind - perfect for a long run, in other words.

I did 21km (13 miles), probably just a little more - so basically half-marathon distance. Nice, relaxed pace, aiming for around 6:00+/km, but at the end the clock stopped at 2:00:37, which is almost exactly 5:45/km pace. Seems a little fast, but I wonder whether my long run pace is just naturally a bit faster than it was a few months back, now. I will investigate.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some days you just get in the groove FM!

yesterday I got in 7.9 miles after 100 wall balls. Was going for 8.5 but had to bail and find a porta potty at one of the many houses getting renovated in the neighborhood

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because I didn't do my usual 12km, including 6.6km hill reps, on Friday, I did it today. Unfortunately I think I pulled something in my right thigh, so I had to jog back home after the reps rather than run hard, so 1:03:38, which is 5:18/km average pace, a bit slower than recently.

Wing0

Reaction score
On my way to my half marathon this morning I realized in the past 20 days I’ve managed to run 3 half marathons and a two 5k’s

1.New years eve 5k
18:09
5th overall
1st in age group
2.Ameris half marathon (paces for Galloway)
1:44:57
3.Disney half marathon (paces for Galloway)
1:44:58
4.Matanzas 5k
18:14
5th in age group
29th overall
5.And finally (on very tired legs) the Jekyll Island half marathon this morning
1:27:02
6th overall
1st in age group

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On my way to my half marathon this morning I realized in the past 20 days I’ve managed to run 3 half marathons and a two 5k’s

That's a lot, which makes the results all the more impressive.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5.5 miles with the dogs this evening.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couldn't really do track intervals with my dodgy hamstring. I will leave things until Sunday morning (when I have a long run scheduled) to see if it's better...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads