1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Distinguished Member

Maybe you all have some experience and can guide me but I'm searching for some running shoes. I've got a wide ass foot so benefit greatly from a shoe with natural footbed and also prefer a zero drop so I can keep my ankles flexible. Frustratingly xero and altra cannot provide the bottom sole measurments of a size 8.5. I know it's not a complete accurate measurement, but I gotta know if they even wide enough to consider as I'm in New Zealand and shipping is a mofo and I can't return. Anyone know super wide running shoes to buy?

2. 2Deuce2

2Deuce2 Distinguished Member

Well we had a business meeting at Disney World with a 5K. Thought I'd give it a go, as I used to really enjoy running before a knee injury sidelined me. After surgery 1.5 years ago, I finally got on a treadmill 2 weeks ago for 20 minutes with no issues. Throwing caution to the wind I joined my coworkers and ran the 5K very respectfully (I'm a Clydesdale in a 44R suit). Although I'm now more sore than I've ever been, we're going to add jogging back into my fitness plans. Not crazy stuff, maybe a few miles here and there.

3. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

How long and wide are your feet? I’ve got Altra and Xero Shoes in 9.5 and 10 that I can measure.

4. Coldsnap

Ah, that would be helpful! To be really roomy I need something like 4.75" across at the widest spot. Sometimes I wear correct toes too and anything under 4.5" is a no go with those on.

5. Dusty Heaters

Dusty Heaters Distinguished Member

BF416CE5-DAC7-43C7-A248-35A3F44A0BEA.jpeg

I’m always jealous of @Fueco ’s runs. He’s got dogs, snow, mountains, etc...So when 6” of powder rolled in I decided to throw on my trail spikes and hit the streets for some urban trail running. Needless to say...it’s really difficult to move quickly.

6. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

Just under 6 miles on the treadmill last night. Temps are in the 40s here and I’d like to get outside for a run but everything has been coated with about .5” of ice for the past day or so. Spikes or not, I don’t really like running in those conditions.

7. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz Distinguished Member

[email protected]:49

had to grab whataburger at lunch today and I was feeling it on the mill

I feel lame running on the treadmill when all you guys have snow and the weather is comparatively beautiful here. I need to do my saturday run outdoors this week

8. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

So, here are the insole measurements for the widest Altras I have, and the Xero shoes that I have...

Size 9.5 Altra Lone Peak 3.5 - Insole is 3 3/4 inches wide
    Size 10 Xero TerraFlex - Insole is 3 15/16 inches wide (Xero recommends sizing up 1/2 size, and I agree with that. These fit my 9.25 E feet just about perfect.

My pinky toe tends to splay out more than most people, which makes the wider shoe fit better. I wish Altras were just a touch wider...

9. Coldsnap

Awesome thanks! Very helpful. I think I will try some Xero's then.

10. Dusty Heaters

6.2m this afternoon in the -22f arctic sun. The roads/paths were all hard pack or ice...but I had no traction issues in my Speedspikes.

11. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

5 miles with the dogs, 3.5 on snow covered paths. It hasn’t been above freezing for a few days, so the snow is still powdery. My trail shoes handle it just fine.

12. Dusty Heaters

C53BB09D-FCFB-421A-8E25-A952CD251B5D.jpeg

-11 to start. Conditions are still icy dispite the county doing their best. The hardpack sections feel wonderful with the spikes, but that headwind is something else.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019

13. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz Distinguished Member

Raining today in DFW and shitty temps so I was on the mill again running at 7.7mph

[email protected]:15
    [email protected]:05
    60min @ ?
    [email protected]:50
    [email protected]:09 this last mile was mostly at 7.5 and below

14. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

8.5 with the dogs. About 5 of that was on snow. Temps dropped from 32 to 27 while we were out, so the trails got slicker as the slushy bits refroze.

15. Dusty Heaters

03CE264D-4E41-4F4F-AF8C-A35EF712FF08.jpeg 91454CB9-9354-4AC1-AB47-AD0F98ECAC92.jpeg FF4C1E5B-86F8-4786-8000-3BEE469892DC.jpeg

Shuffled out 4.1m in 5” of fresh powder. Temps in the singles and no wind, so pretty comfortable overall. 34m for the week.