• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7.2 miles tonight and a PR for 10k of 51:09. We’ll, at least a PR since I switched from RunKeeper to Strava last summer. I credit my Nike Zoom Pegasus Turbos entirely for the PR tonight! :p

metals37

Reaction score
I've seen the 'lab tests', but let's call a spade a spade...There's no way to definitively proclaim that wearing said shoes will empirically make you run faster. So many variables are in play, from placebo, nutrition/hydration, conditions, mental/physical health, etc. that I feel muddy the waters too much to consider it a science.

Re competitive set: Nike is to sporting products what P&G is to consumer packaged goods. They have the deepest pockets, broadest integration, and seemingly unlimited resources. My take is that Nike can simply afford to diversify innovation investments and their marketing dwarfs the competitive set.

Net/Net: I'm with @Michigan Planner -- They fit my feel well and I feel good in them, but I'm far too slow reap any potential benefits.

So I fundamentally agree with your philosophy, but I also find the case study which the NYT did to be very compelling. Are there other factors at play which they are not able to control for? Of course. There are people in their data set who ran worse with the shoes, so they are not perfect for every runner.

metals37

Reaction score
Also - 5 miles this morning at very easy pace after 6 miles yesterday tempo at ~marathon pace (I hope). Over 1min difference in pace between the two runs which is not my typical MO, but I'm trying to be a smarter runner this year.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4.5 miles with the dogs, mostly on muddy trails.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I fundamentally agree with your philosophy, but I also find the case study which the NYT did to be very compelling. Are there other factors at play which they are not able to control for? Of course. There are people in their data set who ran worse with the shoes, so they are not perfect for every runner.

All things considered... This is my 5th pair. I just dig em, and they’re one hell of a lot cheaper than my real shoes/boots.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5F2BA1CC-5821-4327-9056-27A4090B70F6.jpeg

Wore the Peggy Turbo’s today. -:20 off my avg. pace and only +2bpm avg. HR vs. yesterday’s shorter run. This route is also more hilly.

Was it the power of the Zoom X? Perhaps. Was it the tears from the displaced child slaves who made these shoes? Likely.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
2 miles in the rain. Crossed the threshold this afternoon, completing the distance with no stops and getting to my steady-state breathing in ~1/3 mi instead of taking nearly a mile and/or walking for a bit. Could have run farther, but I’m determined to remain injury free this year. Gotta let the problem areas catch up with my heart and lungs.

I wish there were more carryover from my cycling, because that’s going pretty well.

metals37

Reaction score
Stepped outside this morning for my normal run and slid down the driveway on a sheet of ice. Crawled (literally) back into the house and got ready to head into work early instead.........

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stepped outside this morning for my normal run and slid down the driveway on a sheet of ice. Crawled (literally) back into the house and got ready to head into work early instead.........

I hope you were able to walk crawl away undamaged.

I was planning to run this morning but I woke up and there were about 100+ schools closed because of ice here in Metro Detroit so I decided to play some Zelda: Breath of the Wild instead. I completed a couple of shrine quests so I'm happy with the results.

I'll get my miles in on the treadmill tonight while the daughter is rock climbing.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 miles last night. 5 minutes slower than usual which is due to a tiring work day.

I really like Zelda BotW. I was a glutton for punishment and found all 900 Koroks with the help of a map. The only thing I have not completed and likely will not are the Trials on Mater mode. I tried the first room of the first trial and thought...this will be harder than normal which took quite a while.

metals37

Reaction score
Oh ****. I hope you’re alright.

I hope you were able to walk crawl away undamaged.

I was planning to run this morning but I woke up and there were about 100+ schools closed because of ice here in Metro Detroit so I decided to play some Zelda: Breath of the Wild instead. I completed a couple of shrine quests so I'm happy with the results.

I'll get my miles in on the treadmill tonight while the daughter is rock climbing.

Thanks guys, no injuries from this. The crawling was because I could not traverse the distance to the door on my feet. Our driveway slopes away from the house pretty significantly and there was no getting back up it any other way. Even after I put some salt down, my car slid most of the way as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads